The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
78BO

Truck shuttering

Hey guys,

Well the truck has 500 miles on it since the install. When I first started driving it I did not have any issues with the drive train. But here in the last few days I've noticed that when I come to a stop it shutters sometimes. It also does it when going into reverse and easing the gas. It almost seems to be slipping. I had the trans rebuilt before I installed the engine so it only has 500 miles on it as well. Any clues as to what it might be? I just had the kick down cable replaces yesterday. When I had it rebuilt I bought a new cable from advanced auto. But it never kicked down. The shop said buy a new cable form the dealer and it will fix it, I did and they put it on for free and it now works. I asked them if they checked the shuttering and they tried to give me some BS about it. And I quote “You know, because you have a high performance engine, it’s not going to run the same as factory. (right about now I’m laughing) He went on to say, the shuttering isn’t coming from the transmission I can tell you that.”

When I got in it to leave I put it in gear and the thing felt like it was a manual with a bad clutch. But it goes away as soon as you give it any kind of gas. Also at a stop while in gear I hear a deep ping, but it goes away if I put it in neutral.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bryan
78BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Truck shuttering

torque converter could be going

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
truckincurt

ur idle might be to high my truck does the same thing ... but i bought it with a stupd cam in it that shouldent be in it so if i dont have the idle high enoufe it will stall at stops but if i turn it down it stops shuttering let me know if this helps
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
torque converter could be going
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I took it back today and the owner is sending me to his other shop to let his main tech look at it. He just took over this shop and so far told me he doesn't trust any of the employees!
No wonder this shop was 300 less then all of the other shops I called.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckincurt View Post
ur idle might be to high my truck does the same thing ... but i bought it with a stupd cam in it that shouldent be in it so if i dont have the idle high enoufe it will stall at stops but if i turn it down it stops shuttering let me know if this helps
I don't think it's the idle, it did it when the idle was at 6000 rmps (in gear). If I go any lower the engine wont run. It's a fearly big cam.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
asphaltburner

Yo! Idle at 6000 rpm! Tell me it ain't so!
Yeah, rebuilt tranny should get a new converter, and of the proper stall speed for the engine build.
Fluids at proper levels (tranny at idle and in park)?
Otherwise I'd guess engine or carb tune is incorrect.
Geeze HOW radical is your cam?!
Todd.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltburner View Post
Yo! Idle at 6000 rpm! Tell me it ain't so!
Yeah, rebuilt tranny should get a new converter, and of the proper stall speed for the engine build.
Fluids at proper levels (tranny at idle and in park)?
Otherwise I'd guess engine or carb tune is incorrect.
Geeze HOW radical is your cam?!
Todd.
LOL, oops that should say 600 rmps. As for the cam, it's not REAL radical but it's radical enough.
Camshaft:.487Int / .508 Exh & 234 Int / 244 Exh duration @ .050 - 112 degree lobe sep.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
78BO

It might be the idle after all. I took it in and the guy at the shop stated that because stall is so low (stock) that every time a cylinder hits the converter is already locked in. It does it more in reverse (it’s a lower gear). So maybe I just have to lower the idle or buy a bigger stall.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
85sqbdy

What gear ratio are you running? You never stated what trans you had, so i'm guessing th350. If it is a turbo 350, and your running a stock converter, with those cam specs it's just a matter of time before it lets go internally. I had a similar combo and in less than 500 miles the converter came apart. when i pulled the converter off the trans the sprag was in 3 pieces stuck on the input shaft. pretty much destroyed the trans. If that is the case, go with a 2800 stall when you go back together with it. good luck with it all.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85sqbdy View Post
What gear ratio are you running? You never stated what trans you had, so i'm guessing th350. If it is a turbo 350, and your running a stock converter, with those cam specs it's just a matter of time before it lets go internally. I had a similar combo and in less than 500 miles the converter came apart. when i pulled the converter off the trans the sprag was in 3 pieces stuck on the input shaft. pretty much destroyed the trans. If that is the case, go with a 2800 stall when you go back together with it. good luck with it all.
Here is a link for the engine (with dyno specs)http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...specs&pc_id=67.
The cam is
.487Int / .508 Exh & 234 Int / 244 Exh duration @ .050 - 112 degree lobe sep.

Stock the VIN says it has 373's with a TH350. I had the trans redone and had the add a **** kit. I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it gets any worse I'll take it back and have them upgrade the stall. But I really don't want to go over a 2200 stall. I'll be towing a boat and camper (popup) with it.