The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
USSkoval

70's side trim, correct finish?

All of the side trim on my '77 Blazer is kind of spotty and blotchy. If I'm remembering these trucks correctly, the trim is supposed to be a satin finish, right? The replacement trim that is available seems to be more polished. What is the best way to get the trim looking new again? And where would I find the correct color of mustard yellow for the insert? It is a little worn off in spots.
USSkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: 70's side trim, correct finish?

Anyone?
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
ont_guy_38

The polished look it what it came with from the factory.I have never really found anything to polish that stainless that lasted more then a week and as far as the yellow more then likely you will just have to find the closest thing you can to it
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

The OE trim off my '78 was still in really good shape and it was shiny. It wasn't as shiny as chrome but it was closer to chrome than satin. I bought some replacement trim and reused some of my old trim and nobody has noticed the difference yet until I tell them. The finish on my new and old trim looks pretty close, so I would assume that the old trim once looked like the new trim. Probably dulled a bit due to 30 years of being dirty and washed, etc.

As far as the yellow stripe, there's none available with the yellow stripe on it except rare NOS stuff. I'd just get the black stripe trim and use a thinner to remove the paint and repaint the stripe the color you want. I don't know what shade is correct though.

Good luck
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
USSkoval

Nice and shiny, huh? I guess all the trim on the trucks around here turned dull a long time ago. I really don't want to replace all the factory trim, as it fits well and is fine shape, other than the blotchy finish. I guess I'll just try various polishes and see if I can find what works best. First I will look for the correct color paint though.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
USSkoval

OK, so I remembered I have a bunch of extra trim out in the garage. That trim is also dull and blotchy. I tried out Mother's mag and aluminum polish, Simichrome metal polish, and Autosol metal polish. The best results came from Simichrome and Autosol, but the Autosol took less effort for the same result. It did not look showroom new, but the polishing was done by hand in a short period of time. It did look MUCH better though. Maybe tomorrow I can try doing the trim on the Blazer, but with a mini powerball. I'll try and remember to take before and after pics.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It's not supposed to be "shiny" just have a nice bright "sheen" to it. I have bought a few pieces from aftermarket suppliers like LMC, etc and it's not too bad. I am anal about it though so I wouldn't use it myself.

As far as the stripe goes, it's tough to match. I had an auto paint store try to match it with a spectrum analyzer and they weren't even close. Me and a buddy spent hours mixing custom colors and got a batch "kinda" close.

I considered trying to find a color in vinyl tape that was close and have it cut to fit. I never could find one that I liked.

Instead, I just started buying NOS 77 trim pieces when I could find them. I have an almost complete set...or two...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-10-2009 at 10:44 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
It's not supposed to be "shiny" just have a nice bright "sheen" to it. I have bought a few pieces from aftermarket suppliers like LMC, etc and it's not too bad. I am anal about it though so I wouldn't use it myself.

As far as the stripe goes, it's tough to match. I had an auto paint store try to match it with a spectrum analyzer and they weren't even close. Me and a buddy spent hours mixing custom colors and got a batch "kinda" close.

I considered trying to find a color in vinyl tape that was close and have it cut to fit. I never could find one that I liked.

Instead, I just started buying NOS 77 trim pieces when I could find them. I have an almost complete set...or two...

I saw a 77 get crushed with a bunch of decent trim left on it.
I'm disturbed to to this day from seeing that.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
USSkoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
How long has that taken so far?

My Blazer is a "fix it while you drive it" type of project and still needs a lot of restoration. Even though it's not that nice, I really don't like to use aftermarket parts if they don't fit and look like original. For the yellow paint on the trim, I was hoping to find something in a spray can, even though we have a mixing station at work.

BTW, I really like your truck It is the same color combo as my Blazer.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
pig rig

do like I did and start buying 77 parts trucks and grab the trim off and then part it out or sell it to get your money back

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

My trim collection started a few years ago when a buddy saw me talking about the LMC pieces I bought. He had several pieces that he wanted to see put to use so he made me a smoking deal. From there I started watching eBay and Craigslist and picked up pieces along the way.

My suggestion is you order a small piece from any of the vendors that supply it and see what you think. Even the NOS stuff isn't a perfect match.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
jdurant

When I refinish stuff like that, I use a polishing wheel and rouge. I would use paint stripper and steel wool to get everything off. Then use the polishing wheel (use a grinder with a buff if you don't have a bench grinder or polishing wheel). Get a couple of different rouges and buffs(you have to keep one rouge on each buff). They will allow for different finishes. The finer the rouge--the more like chrome it will be. Start with the rougher stuff and work your way down until you get the finish you desire. Try to avoid polishing the part you are gonna paint. You could make it like chrome or satin and all uniform. It makes pretty quick work of it too.
Then find the Sems brand (or other high quality spray paint) closest color and primer. Tape it off and spray it. Do it all at one time so it all matches.

It would look brand new, and fit excellent, and be cheap.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 07-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
USSkoval

Hey thanks! Could I mask off the area that gets painted, before buffing anything? Or would it just pull the tape right off?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
jdurant

I don't know. I was thinking about that too. I don't think it would eat the tape too quickly. Go to an automotive paint supply store and see if they have something that is exactly wide enough in vinyl tape (I like tape that sticks well, not the blue painters tape). I think the vinyl would work well. Otherwise, you'll have to be pretty good with a razor blade. Try a piece like that. I think it would be ideal, if you have the patience and it doesn't eat through it.

But it really isn't too much trouble to control and not hit the painted section. Am I wrong, or isnt the painted section recessed? Even if you do polish it a little, just rough it up with some 400 grit. You probably ought to do that before you paint and it anyway. Sems primer and paint sticks to just about anything and covers well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless, the section to be painted looked like chrome. Thats how I did the bar across the grill on the Blazer, anyway.

I'm starting to confuse myself! Let me simplify. After thinking about it, this is the way I would do it--I think this would be the easiest way.

1. Remove paint with chemical paint stripper. Use plastic scraper if you can find one that fits in there, or fairly course steel wool and gloves.

2. Hit the center section with 400 grit. Fold it to get it in there. Just rough it up. This may not be necessary, depending on the surface after you remove the paint. And clean with wax and grease remover or denatured alcohol.

3. Tape off the outer parts. Get the edge of the tape right in the corner. Be careful and patient while taping.

4. Prime and paint followind direction on can.

5. Remove tape just after paint is dry to touch. Atleast that has always been my best way to get a clean edge. Watch the edges of the paint.

6. Let dry for atleast 24hrs. And clean any adhesive left from the tape with that wax and grease remover.

7. Then tape off the painted section

8. Polish the outer section.

Hope this helps. There are some variables here and a couple different ways to do this. I hope I didn't confuse, I have a way of doing that. I am in no way an expert, nor a professional painter, so if anybody has a better way, please chime in.

If you do refinish it, make sure and post pics.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Joseph I have to respectfully disagree with you on two counts here. First and foremost the trim on 73-80 trucks is not "polished". Your method of polishing is correct if being used for stainless that is supposed to shine. The trim on these trucks has a nice "sheen" to it, but it is not a polished shine.

Regardless of how you try to refinish your trim, I don't think I would repaint it "then" polish it. Based on my experience of using a buffing wheel, I can assure you at some point in the process the wheel is going to grab your part. Not such a big deal if the paint is old, but not what you want to have happen on a freshly painted piece.

I suggest you refinish first, then paint after. It's a remote possibility that the buffer will eat a piece of trim along the way.

Not that I have personally ever had that happen to me ...8 or 10 times.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
jdurant

Ken, the trim in question is made of stainless, correct? Whether polished to a chrome like finish, or polished to a "nice sheen"--I think it is polished either way. That is the beauty of a polisher and rouge, you can polish it to the exact finish you want and make it uniform depending on the rouge you are using-either a "nice sheen" or like a mirror if you want.
It doesn't come from the factory with a grain(like it has been machined),does it? And it isn't clear coated originally, right?
I can't think of a better way to refinish it.

I guess you make a good point about using the polisher first. But like I said there are a couple of different ways/processes to do this with the tape and steps and all. Thats, just the way I would try it first.

Since he said his trim was in good physical shape, I was just trying to offer a suggestion that didn't include hunting and paying for hard to find expensive parts. Everybody isn't privy to "smoking deals" or corporate promotions---j/k.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 07-12-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #17
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

I've got some dull trim if you guys want to show off them polishing skilz.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote