The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
spookylynx

how did you ground your gas tank?

have a CPP rear frame relocated tank. It is steel, mounted to the frame, there are no rubber isolators or anything like that. There is a single post on the sending unit to wire the gas gauge, where do I run a ground? Do I need a ground? I feel that it would be best.
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: how did you ground your gas tank?

on my tank the sending unit has a ground. Sorry I am not much help. I have a Boyds Welding tank.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: how did you ground your gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
have a CPP rear frame relocated tank. It is steel, mounted to the frame, there are no rubber isolators or anything like that. There is a single post on the sending unit to wire the gas gauge, where do I run a ground? Do I need a ground? I feel that it would be best.
If it is mounted to frame with bolts, remove 1 bolt. Use a BRASS(ONLY BRASS, TO ELIMINATE SPARKS)BRUSH to clean the frame-hole & tank-hole where bolt goes, do same to bolt, and reinstall. Should be plenty of ground--unless you are determined to do something else: then run a 12 or 10 gauge wire from that bolt over to a cleaned, bolted surface of the body.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
spookylynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
If it is mounted to frame with bolts, remove 1 bolt. Use a BRASS(ONLY BRASS, TO ELIMINATE SPARKS)BRUSH to clean the frame-hole & tank-hole where bolt goes, do same to bolt, and reinstall. Should be plenty of ground--unless you are determined to do something else: then run a 12 or 10 gauge wire from that bolt over to a cleaned, bolted surface of the body.
Sam
So essentially it's a frame to body panel ground?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The frame is the earth/ground, so if your connections are metal on metal, its already grounded. The cab itself isn't actually the best ground (if you don't have any body-to-chassis grounds, you may notice ground loop interference or poor conductivity since the cab is rubber isolated from the frame). These trucks have so much metal tho, in many cases cab-only grounds end up working alright.

Fwiw, take a look at most latemodel O.E's use of grounding straps freakin everywhere. This helps with grounding all of the sensitive electronics, and helps make up for the lack of total conductive mass in the increasingly-plastic body).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
spookylynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The frame is the earth/ground, so if your connections are metal on metal, its already grounded. .
That is what I thought, I just want to be sure. Wiring and electricity are all voodoo to me