The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
dhigdon@southerntank

Abort

What do you reckon is the number one reason guys abort their restorations/restomods? It seems to happen quite often. I'm am still trying to decide whether I want to take on a 67 restomod, I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it only to give up and sell. Which I guess would be ok if I got a good price, I would still learn a lot in the process.
dhigdon@southerntank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Abort

Running out of money and patience.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
cj847

Underestimating the cost.
Overestimating your talent.
Underestimating the amount of time it will take.

I have built several trucks and I still have problems with the above issues.

PS> Just because you can buy an LS engine and transmission for $1500 and you have a set of wheels and tires in the garage doesn't mean you can build a resto-mod for under $20,000.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
Warrens69GMC

Life. Something always comes up.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

Running out of money , high parts and shipping costs , dry storage , 60 gallon plus air compressor , blast cabinet , welder, tools , Project creep , relying on help from friends , Free time to work on your project , Staying on budget , having a realistic time frame . I've taken breaks from working on mine for 6 months at a time I didn't walk into the garage waiting on parts . Did I say project creep ?

Did I mention having a wife or girlfriend tht is ok with your every minute and spare dollar going into your project and time spent in the garage ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #6
bean

Getting in over their head.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:49 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Could be a lot of reasons to bail out. But here are a couple reasons for losing interest

* Not realizing all that is involved until getting into it

* Not sincerely wanting it enough in the first place. It takes dedication, patience, and a lot of effort. It takes more than just wanting it or having the money.

* Come to realize you're not actually a man and... (edited)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #8
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Getting in over their head.
This sums up everything in the posts ahead of it nicely. My truck is FAR from a beauty queen and from the day it was delivered on a trailer until it was road worthy was three years. There were times it went untouched for weeks due to time/part/$$ availability. Luckily, I have a shop where it could sit without being in the way. In the same timeframe if I'd have had more money and outsourced it, I could have a complete, slick truck.

Scope creep seems to get us all. These photos are a perfect example of it. I was going to clean up and install some drop springs. Yeah right. This turned into a couple months of work (on my time availability) for shock relocation, new bearings and seals in rear end, totally new brakes, etc. Second photo is after done. I was very pleased with it at this point but at least once or twice I questioned myself. Many times folks get in too deep to see the way out. It comes apart once piece at a time and goes back together the same way.

The front was sort of the same but I knew I was rebuilding everything and converting to discs so scope creep didn't hit but the time to tear it all out, clean, paint, and rebuild wasn't a single weekend.

BUT, at the end of the day other than tire mounting, front end alignment, and windshield install, I did everything myself. This was my 25th anniversary present from my wife and I took her to dinner for our 28th in it. We have put about 600 miles on it since last May 2022. I have a running list of items to still do to it but it runs and drives. At some point down the road it will get blown apart for rust repair, body work, and paint but for now I am just enjoying driving it.
Attached Images

2024 Toyota Tundra

Last edited by 67C10Step; 01-10-2023 at 11:24 AM.
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:27 PM   #9
pjmoreland

One thing that can be a really discouraging is when a particularly time-consuming or expensive step of a project doesn't turn out as you had hoped. Having to redo something that you thought you were done with can be a challenge mentally. I hate to admit the number of things I've had to do over on my truck. I've had the steering column out six or seven times in the last two years. I rebuilt two rear ends because the first gearset was noisy. I replaced my engine after spending countless hours replacing gaskets and seals on the previous one. The list goes on and on.

One thing that helps me is to limit the amount of down time with each project. I get my truck driving again so I can enjoy it for a while before doing the next project. When I first bought it, it needed a bunch of body work due to an accident by a previous owner. I drove it around for a few months with no grille and a substitute fender while the parts were at the body shop.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:25 PM   #10
leddzepp

Money, plain and simple.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #11
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Money, space, a lack of tools and not really knowing how to use them if you have them. When the wife is complaining because the garage is full of parts and there's dust bunnies growing under your project. The list goes on.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:42 PM   #12
truckster

Fatigue.

And significant others. I'm lucky that my wife loves my Blazer and wants me to make it as nice as it can be. Not everyone is so fortunate.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #13
Sheepdip

My take has always been...Unless you have done a COMPLETE frame off restoration, the average person has not a clue as to the time/commitment, knowledge/steps, patience/setbacks, money and wifey conditions they are getting into. Just my .02 cents worth.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #14
Big Kev-O

Two words: wife, children. Both can seriously impact your budget and put the brakes on your project. I have seen a lot of unfinished projects for sale because the owner has a kid on the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:16 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have bought 6 abandoned projects and finished them out since 2004, plus a couple of trucks I have built from the frame up. There is some good money to be made by doing this, or at least there was. With the price of paint and parts now, I'm not sure a person could do as well in this day and age....

I like to buy them pretty much rust free or at least with the body work done, and being painted is a big bonus.

Abandoned projects bought and finished out:

1967 Chevy Stepside
1972 GMC long bed
1971 Chevy long bed 4x4
1969 Suburban
1970 Chevy Longhorn 4x4
1967 Chevy Panel Truck

One thing I would like to make clear on this is that during this time I had no kids at home and I was retired. That makes all the difference in the world.

If the sheet metal and cab supports are in good shape I would say go ahead and buy it. If you can buy it at a decent price you should be able to get your money back out of it about any time.....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #16
custom10nut

For me, it’s TIME.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:14 PM   #17
davischevy

All the above.

Until you have built a rig from the ground up, it's impossible to appreciate the scope of work involved, and how painfully slow it can be.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:37 PM   #18
LS short box

Many folks can do the basic mechanical work. Frame off resto's are not for everyone.
What kills many projects is "paint jail".
No offense to body shop owners but body shops that get busy with insurance work the resto projects take a back seat. It's a simple profit margin thing.
I've bought a few failed projects. I would never buy a rusty project unless you have skills to do the rust repair.
Another thing that can kill a project is that once they become drivers the old truck drives like an old truck. Depending on the build the old trucks don't brake or handle anywhere near like a modern truck.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:43 PM   #19
Getter-Done

I will add to All of the Above.

#1reason for (Slow or Abort) is Your dependents/ (Wife and ____)

If you are having 2nd thoughts about this Project.

Do not start.

Until you are Happy with where this project will go.

It will finish Over the top or you can sell it for parts or Somewhere in between.

If this is your Heart's desire. Go For It.

You will not regret it.

I have 7 different projects going at any givin Time.

I need to Slow down.

I still go to Swap-Meets and Trucks shows.

I help my nephew with his Square body truck.

My suggestion is

Getter-Done and just enjoy the ride
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:09 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Here's something ironic. My forever '67 short bed project was originally to be for my wife. She supported me in my truck activities. She left so I'm building it for me now, and nothing has been happening. If she hadn't left she would have badgered me into having it done a long time ago .

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-12-2023 at 07:52 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #21
Wrenchbender Ret

Don't rely on your friends to help. I have seen many times were the friends come over all enthused & help tear it down & drink all your beer. Then when you say "ok guys its time to put it back together" all of a sudden every one has some excuse why they can't make it.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote