The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
1SS

All Kinds of questions!

First question... is there any difference between 2WD and 4WD rear brake lines. One of mine broke when I was changing the wheel cylinder. 2nd question... where can I find a baking plate for the left rear drum for a 72 k-10 mine is rusted out where the parking brake cable goes through, and 3rd what kind of automatic transmission will work in a 72 k-10 with a NP 205 t-case. I have 307 engine with a muncie 4 speed right now. It really sucks in norfolk traffic, and my last question is has anyone else had problems with parts and or service from LMC truck parts? I ordered $2500 worth of axel and brake pars form them and I didn't get some of the parts I ordered, and the ring gear bolts stripped out when torqued to 35 ft/lbs. Not too excited about ordering parts from that place again. On that note I have a quick story. I pulled my rear diff apart and was going to change the carrier bearings, but when I went to pull one of them off it just slid right off. After further inspection and measuring I noticed that the bearing had been spinning on the journal. I also noticed that someone had put a new bearing on, and tried to peen into place. I can't believe all of the jacked up stuff I am finding on this truck. the guy I bought the truck from is a mechanic and he owns his own shop. I wouldn't let this guy work on my roller skates. I can't wait to tear apart the front differantial or any other system on this truck. Its like walking into a house of horrors blind folded. Anyone want to buy a truck haha
1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: All Kinds of questions!

In my life I have bought 1 and my kids bought 1 truck from mechanics. You would think they were well maintained, etc. and in our cases they were. BUT we also found out that a mechanic knows how to get 97% of the use out of a vehicle. They also know when to sell it so it looks and runs in really good shape. Both vehicles did well for a while but then started falling a part quickly and became money pits. I sold mine for a loss and my kids ended up parking theirs because they could not keep up with the repair costs and could not sell it. Not saying all mechanics operate this way but my experience is 2/2.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Buying stuff from a mechanic, my caution flag goes up.

Since it's all about the old saying "The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes"...

Back when I thought I wanted to work for a living as a mechanic, it came to a point where I no longer wanted to even think about tinkering with my personal truck projects. So I would just make things work, just so I wouldn't have to spend too much time away from relaxing from a day of working on other peoples junk.

As for LMC issues, I have had none.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
1SS

I know what you mean, I used to be a mechanic myself. I had all the time in the world to work on other peoples stuff but when it came to my stuff I never did. the guy told me he had done a body off restoration about 5 years ago. I think what he might have meant was I watched an episode of trucks on spike and then took a dump on my truck. Does anyone know how easy it is to convert to an LS style engine or one of the old 6.2 or 6.5L diesels?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Mr. 250r

For the ls conversion go look in the lsx sub forum there's a ton of info over there i think the hardest part would be wiring if your keeping fuel injection, most everything has been made by manufacturers by now except some 4wd headers i have yet to see those unless they're out by now
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
rayfinseats

If the bolts stripped on a ring gear you probably had the wrong bolts.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
If the bolts stripped on a ring gear you probably had the wrong bolts.
They were the bolts that came with the ring and pinion set. I'm just glad it was the bolts, and not the bolt holes in the ring gear that got stripped out.