The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
triggerthetruck

Dangerous and violent chassis flex problem!!!

Help wanted please...I have a really serious chassis flex problem that has been becoming evident over the last year or two. Hit a bump or a hole and suddenly the whole front end will shake very violently. I have just replaced springs and shocks to the front of my 87 K10...but the problem persists. I imagine something like...boxing the chassis, welding the rivetted cross members, or putting in new cross members. Before I get in to that I would appreciate any advice you may have...Thanks, Andrew
triggerthetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Dangerous and violent chassis flex problem!!!

How does it go away?
Does it go away after hitting another bump, or just gradually dissipate?

Is the front of the truck shaking or heavy vibrate?

I had a truck that did something similar, and it turned out to be a separated motor mount. So going over a hard bump would knock the drive train to one side, then vibrate the truck really bad until I hit another hard bump and then it would find it's home again.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

How much Lift ?
Any chassis Mods ?
Tire size ?
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Andy's Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerthetruck View Post
Help wanted please...I have a really serious chassis flex problem that has been becoming evident over the last year or two. Hit a bump or a hole and suddenly the whole front end will shake very violently. I have just replaced springs and shocks to the front of my 87 K10...but the problem persists. I imagine something like...boxing the chassis, welding the rivetted cross members, or putting in new cross members. Before I get in to that I would appreciate any advice you may have...Thanks, Andrew
Hey Andrew from Surrey, it is Andrew Sury here. No really, that is my name!

THE first thing to check for is your steering stabilizer. It is a shock bolted between the frame and the drag link. They wear out, you go for a ride. I test drove a customers 03 Powerstroke Ford the other day. Hit a manhole cover and went inadvetantly off roading. Try that first. As far as I know, all K series have them.
Andy's Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
OJ1988
Just a car guy

The classic death rattle. I agree check the steering stabilzer first.

Is the truck lifted? If so how much , and how?
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
triggerthetruck

...well thanks for these replies...including Andrew Sury! I will try the steering damper/stabiliser first...everything else is new...tho' I changed that only four years ago....well yes it deserves to be changed. The truck is very standard all round save the size of tires...Not lifted...and brand new springs and shocks, but this isnt tires at all....it is the frame of the truck shaking, not the cab. I have had a reply from someone who says that welding the rivetted brackets and cross members is the way to go, plus adding more cross bracing...and thats going to be a piece of work...engine out?
I shall check the engine mounts, they may be part of this...but its when I fall in to a pot hole or hit a bump is when it really lets loose. Thanks you folk....Andrew
Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

A steering stabilizer wont cause the problems your describing....even if you didnt have one at all. If I were you I would crawl under it and have someone move the wheels back and forth while you watch for movement in the steering box at the frame..check tie rod ends and ball joints while your at it. Make sure your axle is centered on the leaf spring pins and u-bolts are tight...I've seen them sheer off and allow the axle to move. You shouldnt need any additional frame boxing with your stock setup as long as there are no cracks in your frame.
Whatever it is should be fairly noticable if its that bad...and I dont think I'd be driving it till its figured out.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

X3 on the steering stabilizer. That is the typical complaint with a worn (or missing) stabilizer shock. Once the wheels are excited at the right hertz frequency after hitting a bump they will sound off and wobble like crazy until you practically come to a stop.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Rockink5

99% chance this is a steering/axle problem.

Check the steering knuckles for play. Upper and lower ball joints could be bad.
Check to make sure your wheel bearings are tight. The nuts can back off if not installed correctly.
Check the steering stabilizer. Although you should be able to run without it.
Check your steering box. Make sure it is tight to the frame, with NO cracks around it.
Check your drag link and pitman arm for excessive play.

Also, have you ever had the alignment done? Did they mess with the caster?

What your are describing is "death wobble". It's from the steering, not the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
triggerthetruck

Hm...well thats a lot to think about. I did have very bad cracking behind the steering box and how I found that was with exactly the same effect...immense and sudden wobble...so I will go look at that again. All knuckles and joints are relatively new so that shouldnt be a problem...and were recently checked for the annual official Ministry of Transport test....
I have just fitted new springs and shocks and the u bolts were fine and properly torqued...so...well I shall try to get it on a local guy's ramp to have a better look underneath. Death wobble sounds about right...and it only stops when I stand on the brakes..... So thank you all, but if anyone else has anything at all to say...please go ahead. I'm listening!! Best wishes..American cousins... Andrew
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
triggerthetruck

...there really should be a photo of my truck...Ive tried to post one...anyone tell me how to do that? I'm not an idiot, just dont get much computer time doing the frilly bits... and here in England my truck is quite a rarity. In two years I have seen only one other...a fleet side.

I just tried again...does it work?....
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
triggerthetruck

yup!! There we go...well youve seen this sort of truck before...but this one happens to belong to me!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Mr. 250r

Sounds a lot like the death wobble which i normally see associated with the Dana 60 and not the D44/10B but it does happen i have seen it caused by the steering stabilizer which wasn't my problem also big bias ply tires with unbalanced/broken belts etc, kingpins or in your case ball joints
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
A steering stabilizer wont cause the problems your describing....even if you didnt have one at all. If I were you I would crawl under it and have someone move the wheels back and forth while you watch for movement in the steering box at the frame..check tie rod ends and ball joints while your at it. Make sure your axle is centered on the leaf spring pins and u-bolts are tight...I've seen them sheer off and allow the axle to move. You shouldnt need any additional frame boxing with your stock setup as long as there are no cracks in your frame.
Whatever it is should be fairly noticable if its that bad...and I dont think I'd be driving it till its figured out.
X2 ^
It's amazing the suspension problems that I have found by doing this very same (yes simple) process. I always like to have someone else rock the steering wheel back and forth while I keep an eye on ALL of the steering / suspension components. Look at all the ball joints, tie rod ends, drag links and steering box. There should be little if any play in the components. Definitely don't drive it until you have it sorted out.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
odog

When I 1st pulled my truck out of the bone pile, I noticed the vertical "straps" that hold the front leaf springs on the spring hangers were broken. The straps are about 1 1/2 inch wide by 3 or 4 inches long and have a bolt on the top that goes through the frame and a bolt on the bottom that goes through the spring hanger. I drove it back to the house like this and when I hit a bump, I thought the world had come to an end. The thing jumped and shook. After I put new peices on it solved the problem.

Duh sorry, the "straps" are the front leaf spring shackles. Sometimes I forget what they are called.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #16
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Looks like a nice truck! Are those stock backspaced wheels? they look a little wider of a footprint, that might be the cause of the death wobble, with a worn stabilizer bringing the evident problem out...

The geometry of the ball joints through the centerline of the stock wheels and tires looks like it may be altered with those wheels. I've experienced on two different chevy chassis - my IFS 4x4 90 and my 2wd 69. Good luck!

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #17
triggerthetruck

...well even more to think about! I will order today a steering damper...and get on underneath and have a good look around. Cracking of the frame is my best bet so far...everything else is new...or within a few years of new....and I had cracking behind the steering box before...its possible the welds have come apart. Is there any form of backup plate one could buy for this problem area? Its not a flat sheet...formed with depressions etc to take the steering box....
Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #18
triggerthetruck

...and just to give you all an insight in to my problem...if you go to You Tube...and tell it to show you death wobble...theres some interesting footage there of what happens to similar vehicles....Jeep, Dodge, Chevy... Very instructive.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
str8axle55

Nice truck. If your frame repair has failed, there are plates avail to strenghthen the area, and a brace for the steering box itself. I would have a look at the front end components while a helper wiggles the steering wheel , check the frame for cracks, and to see if the steering box bolts are tight, to start with.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
Mr. 250r

Well just because its new doesn't mean it works correctly lol a steering stabilizer could've just went bad just a random thing that happens when we think we finally get ahead =-p
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #21
Mudder

When you are under there with someone turning the wheels back and forth take notice of the front cross member. Those rivets will loosen up over time and let the whole front end flex from side to side while you are steering. I welded mine solid along with some cracks behind the steering box.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #22
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Go check out ORD's website. Beyond just fixing the cracked frame at the steering gear mount you really need to add a brace to it so that it stops it from happening.

Check it out here: http://www.offroaddesign.com/
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #23
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Below is a picture of the ORD steering gear to frame bracket Zoomad is talking about. A great piece to add to prevent steering gear to frame cracks, however it is a pain in the hoho to install and even more pain to get to the combination valve brake lines after it is installed (I installed mine when the engina was out). I am still confident adding a new steering stabilizer will fix your problem.

I-Beam and solid front live axles have a natural frequency to wobble when the moons and planets line up and excited by road inputs especially with heavy tires at the wheel ends (large, wide, etc). My company build several thousand delivery vans for a major fleet where we had a significant suspension change in the 2006 model year and the stabilizer shock was cost engineered out of the new product. Fast forward a few years and now we are campaigning them to add the steering stabilizer for this exact "death wobble" reason.

Nice truck by the way. I bet you get a lot of odd looks driving one of those in Europe! You probably have to own a small Arab country to be able to afford the fuel.

Please come back and tell us the results once you install the new stabilizer.

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 10-27-2011 at 01:53 AM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #24
triggerthetruck

...You Guys!!!! Thank you...all my dreams have come true...in terms of knowledge gained any way.... I had always thought that there needs to be a plate to strengthen that area behind the steering box...and there it is...and too, a cross brace to beef it all up. Looking at that website, ORD, I see how much fun you people have over there...and the suppliers to fill your every need....makes me wish I had been born in America!!! Well just sometimes. ...along with a lot of other people I suspect.
Anyway, I think I have the information now...and I just need the funds/time and delivery man to make all those dreams come true as well. I will let you know how I get along with it. Best wishes, and many thanks...andrew
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #25
triggerthetruck

O and by the by...I dont own any such thing as an arab state...just run my truck on LPG...which it was fitted with back in '87 in California... Runs perfect, starts first time every time...no petrol at all....and at £1.40 per gallon and 12 miles to the gallon....it would be too, too much. But the LPG works fine. Loss of power of course...but I dragged a 6meter caravan all up and down the Pyrenees mountains this last year....10,000 miles in 6 months or so...and the French people loved it. I was seriously wanting an airstream caravan to haul tho'....now that would be neat.