The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
DOIBUGU

I need rust help!!!!

here what im wondering my 70 cab has a roof skink and an inner roof skin its not a headliner truck i have rust in between the two who do i stop that is there something i could do like pore someting through a whole and fill the gap like pro15 wait for it to harden or dip the whole cab ( i seen it in a show once where you charge the water and stick a rod in to attract the rust not sure what the method is called but maybe) i dont know i just dont want to do a **** load of body work to have the rust eat the new paint in one show season and have to repaint the other idea i have is to just cut the roof off and make it a roadster
DOIBUGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
tonypaul

Re: I need rust help!!!!

I think it might be a good idea to put a pencil to some paper and figure out whats most cost effective. The dip process is pretty expensive from what I was quoted here locally. How is the rust on the rest of the cab? I would start maybe looking for another cab if you have alot of rust. Even if you have to pay $500 to even as high as $1000 for a semi rustless cab might be worth it unless you have the tools and skill to do all the rust repair yourself....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
DOIBUGU

thanks man thats what i was thinking cause theres no way to get it all out i dont think other then the dip do you rember what u were quoated for the price also what was the process called?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
DOIBUGU

gg
Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
tonypaul

to acid dip a 1969 Camaro main body only was $2100.00 two years ago. That was to dip just the shell, no doors, hood, ect.

Last edited by tonypaul; 09-02-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: opps
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
djimenzj

Ok, guys... want to save a little money ? Want to keep that truck as original as possible ? If you cant do it yourself, have somone cut the top off with a fine cutting tool, dont just saw it off, do it carefully.

Then go buy some molasses, pour 1part molasses with 3 parts of water in a bin or barrel big enough to to submerge the top of the cab. Then wait 1 week pull it out and rinse with hose (the more pressure the better), (you will be surprised) The f***ing metal will have little or no rust... Then dip it again for 1 more week and rinse one more time and bamm your done, please primer right away... or it will flash rust.

I bought some molasses with no sulfur in it, so I bought a pound of sulfur and mixed it my self. It's funny cause I added extra sulfur and it even removed most of the paint, lol I laughed my ass off when I seen the results. Molasses works ! ! ! ohh with the extra sulfur removed the grease/grime/dirt too, ja jajajaja.

Im doing a poor mans frame off on my 70 gmc sb, I dipped the battery tray and the trans shifting arm that botls to the chassis. I also dipped the E Brake cable. They had lots of rust and grease/grime/ext and when I pulled them out the first time (yesterday) they almost looked new... Im going to pull them out next week... jaaaaaaa

This s*** works man... Look it up on you tube, there is a British guy on there that knows his chet...
djimenzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
bguild

Smile Re: I need rust help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djimenzj View Post
Ok, guys... want to save a little money ? Want to keep that truck as original as possible ? If you cant do it yourself, have somone cut the top off with a fine cutting tool, dont just saw it off, do it carefully.

Then go buy some molasses, pour 1part molasses with 3 parts of water in a bin or barrel big enough to to submerge the top of the cab. Then wait 1 week pull it out and rinse with hose (the more pressure the better), (you will be surprised) The f***ing metal will have little or no rust... Then dip it again for 1 more week and rinse one more time and bamm your done, please primer right away... or it will flash rust.

I bought some molasses with no sulfur in it, so I bought a pound of sulfur and mixed it my self. It's funny cause I added extra sulfur and it even removed most of the paint, lol I laughed my ass off when I seen the results. Molasses works ! ! ! ohh with the extra sulfur removed the grease/grime/dirt too, ja jajajaja.

Im doing a poor mans frame off on my 70 gmc sb, I dipped the battery tray and the trans shifting arm that botls to the chassis. I also dipped the E Brake cable. They had lots of rust and grease/grime/ext and when I pulled them out the first time (yesterday) they almost looked new... Im going to pull them out next week... jaaaaaaa

This s*** works man... Look it up on you tube, there is a British guy on there that knows his chet...
Thats pretty cool.. I just watched his Video... makes me wish I had a swiming pool full of molasses

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
GRX

Good old Acetic Acid.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
gsxrdoug
1970 C10 six

Couldn't you just cut the inner out spray it with rust converter and then put it back togther?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
DOIBUGU

thanks for the help guys but i got a new cab teaser photos will be on my build thread
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOIBUGU View Post
thanks for the help guys but i got a new cab teaser photos will be on my build thread
I was going to suggest you just get another cab....being that you are in Calif.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
djimenzj

I dont know but I like to keep my chet as og as possible, come time to sell the truck the value wont be as strong because of the new cab... I live in Stockton Ca and these cabs are a dime a dozen, clean ones too... But hey opinoins are like a holes, everyone has one... I got this of a thread lol... either way go for it man ! My truck is in peaces right now, my family thinks Im crazy but wait till i drive up in the black bute sb with the 502 BBC...
djimenzj is offline   Reply With Quote