The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2024, 08:22 PM   #1
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

April 30, 1975 in Vietnam

Saigon fell on this day in 1975. I have friends whose fathers suffered years of subsequent imprisonment at the hands of the communists. Anyone have recollections of that day?
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:55 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: April 30, 1975 in Vietnam

Yes I do, I had been home from Vietnam 5 years by then and one of my first thoughts were Bill and Sandy and so many others lost their lives for nothing! Both were friends of mine, one from high school and the other I served with in Germany prior to my stint in Vietnam. I really want to say more as to what my feelings are about the fall of Saigon and our previous exit in March of '73 but to do so would involve a lot of political reference and personal thoughts. That would most likely get me my very first time out on the board after 23 years and then being sent to my corner so I will refrain from doing so. Just suffice to say I have some hard feelings to this day and I don't apologize at all about them.

The Vietnam war experience ripped this country apart and it can still be felt today by those directly involved.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:10 PM   #3
truckster

I was 15 and lived just outside Ft. Bragg. Half my friends' fathers had been to Vietnam, although my dad went on an unaccompanied tour to the Korean DMZ in 1966. It was a very brutal moment for all of us. I am very grateful to those of you who served there.

On a related note, I feel the same futility and frustration about the buddies I lost in Iraq. We weren't treated like the Vietnam vets (which is still a horrible national disgrace), but the end result was still lives sacrificed with no apparent benefit to our nation. Maybe we haven't learned a whole lot in 50 years.
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #4
Micmac

I think about that place every day. I had been home for 5 years by then. I think about the B.S over there and even worse when I came home. I found my decorations the other day in some stuff I was cleaning out and put them back in a box Drive on it don't mean nothing. Xin Loi.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #5
Shifty One

Very much so, I lost two uncles there....

1998 C2500 lot-rot rescue
Shifty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Yes I do, I had been home from Vietnam 5 years by then and one of my first thoughts were Bill and Sandy and so many others lost their lives for nothing! Both were friends of mine, one from high school and the other I served with in Germany prior to my stint in Vietnam. I really want to say more as to what my feelings are about the fall of Saigon and our previous exit in March of '73 but to do so would involve a lot of political reference and personal thoughts. That would most likely get me my very first time out on the board after 23 years and then being sent to my corner so I will refrain from doing so. Just suffice to say I have some hard feelings to this day and I don't apologize at all about them.

The Vietnam war experience ripped this country apart and it can still be felt today by those directly involved.

Your service is honorable. I trust you're doing well. You write so smoothly, I'm stumbly, run through brake pads.

Proud of my Vietnam vets, I lost both in 2020. My step dad was Lt. Col.. Communications, PS degree, writer, spoke Chinese fluently. Would have made full Col. perhaps, but married, and consecutively involved with two Vietnamese ladies. Things went south with CIA "training", in China, a difference in principles. Funny, I was his best friend after his school/Vietnam buddy, he never mentioned the CIA nor a second Vietnamese woman. Protocol, and perhaps sins of lust.

He never told me about this Chevy either, where he's pictured. Year truck anyone? In hindsight that was early onset dementia. Funny thing was he liked my trucks so much; and spoke of them often, level dementia. He thought his was a 1975 Chevy, perhaps 78 I don't remember (irony), which he brought up often. Picture with his dad too, who must have been a trip. He spoke English but hid it behind Swedish, just a doll maker. High IQ people, my stepdad's sister the same. Dementia, but he maintained a vocabulary second to few.

The other my sweet uncle. 60-early 70s San Fran hippy, March on Washington, Army Vietnam, Princeton. He finished life as a portfolio manager and conservative. He was so gentle, a fine man and uncle.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; Yesterday at 01:13 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #7
dmb

I wood like to know how many here had boots on the ground in South Vietnam ?
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
On a related note, I feel the same futility and frustration about the buddies I lost in Iraq. We weren't treated like the Vietnam vets (which is still a horrible national disgrace), but the end result was still lives sacrificed with no apparent benefit to our nation. Maybe we haven't learned a whole lot in 50 years.
We try, and sometimes we fail. That doesn't always mean we shouldn't try.
As for South Vietnam, well....we propped them up for too long. They had all the resources and training they needed to make things happen. We lost far too many people saving them from themselves. At least we got out eventually. It was either that or fully commit to war and stop holding back, which they would never do. A sad story any way you read it.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #9
AussieinNC

Quote:

My heart goes out to you and all those that suffered through this debacle. You are not alone, nor forgotten...NEVER FORGET ....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM   #10
Ironhorse

truckster, I totally understand the frustration and loss for the debacle that was called the '' Afghanistan withdrawal " Watching that on TV brought me back to the scenes of the April '75 " Vietnam withdrawal " situation. Your right, we didn't learn a thing after 50 years. Be there to WIN or stay OUT! Nuff said there before I go off.

I was 19 when I landed in Vietnam and turned 20 within my first month in-country. Was with the 84th Engineer Battalion from the central highlands at Pleiku / An Khe to the seacoast near Tuy Hoa building roads, bridges, helipads, LZs, what ever the job called for. April 1969 to April 1970. Back to the Real World in early April of 1970 just in time to turn 21.

For a good long while no one except my family knew I was a Vietnam returnee, as most did, I never spoke of it openly and very rarely even spoke to my family of my time there. I admit I had some rough times adjusting, sudden loud noises, the night time rough dreams and my first 4th of July home was almost surreal. 53 years since I came home now and I totally understand why my Dad never spoke to us kids about his WW2 experience.

micmac, Welcome Home Brother ! Glad you made it, so many others did not. Have you been to see The Wall in DC? Been there twice, it's tough looking at all those names and remembering. Even tougher hearing them play Taps while standing there.

---shortbed72, the experience of Vietnam changed all who suffered and endured being there and also changed the family and loved ones upon their return. I share your grief of their loss.

AussieinNC, you can rest assured that I will NEVER forget. I fly my US flag, US Army flag and the POW/MIA flag regularly from the house.

I guess I should bring this to a close since as I type this I get to thinking about things more than I should. I normally don't bring this to the forum and keep it in but I guess at times it's good to let some of it out. It still helps even after all these years.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #11
LT7A

Quote:
truckster, I totally understand the frustration and loss for the debacle that was called the '' Afghanistan withdrawal " Watching that on TV brought me back to the scenes of the April '75 " Vietnam withdrawal " situation. Your right, we didn't learn a thing after 50 years. Be there to WIN or stay OUT! Nuff said there before I go off.

I was 19 when I landed in Vietnam and turned 20 within my first month in-country. Was with the 84th Engineer Battalion from the central highlands at Pleiku / An Khe to the seacoast near Tuy Hoa building roads, bridges, helipads, LZs, what ever the job called for. April 1969 to April 1970. Back to the Real World in early April of 1970 just in time to turn 21.

For a good long while no one except my family knew I was a Vietnam returnee, as most did, I never spoke of it openly and very rarely even spoke to my family of my time there. I admit I had some rough times adjusting, sudden loud noises, the night time rough dreams and my first 4th of July home was almost surreal. 53 years since I came home now and I totally understand why my Dad never spoke to us kids about his WW2 experience.

micmac, Welcome Home Brother ! Glad you made it, so many others did not. Have you been to see The Wall in DC? Been there twice, it's tough looking at all those names and remembering. Even tougher hearing them play Taps while standing there.

---shortbed72, the experience of Vietnam changed all who suffered and endured being there and also changed the family and loved ones upon their return. I share your grief of their loss.

AussieinNC, you can rest assured that I will NEVER forget. I fly my US flag, US Army flag and the POW/MIA flag regularly from the house.

I guess I should bring this to a close since as I type this I get to thinking about things more than I should. I normally don't bring this to the forum and keep it in but I guess at times it's good to let some of it out. It still helps even after all these years.
Having not served, I have nothing to add but my appreciation and admiration. I was reached by what has been said. I bolded a part that jumped out. Keeping the politics out, as you said, due to site rules, I think there is a base of good hearted folks here that would listen and hear well anything that it would be helpful to talk about.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks for sharing guys. My dad volunteered to avoid being drafted and was able to remain stateside. I can't imagine being conscripted and sent overseas.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #13
Rich84

It does seem like we keep repeating the same mistakes and the cost is unfathomable.

I appreciate what so many have given and will never forget.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 PM   #14
Troy Sr

My step father was in Vietnam in the Air Force. He was at a place called Monkey Mountain, he really never talked about his time there!!! He passed recently in Jan 2024. Thanks Bob!!!
Old Today, 08:55 PM   #15
mike1971c10

I had the distinction of turning 21 in country. I was discharged in 1968. Walked out of Oakland air force base, through my duffle bag in the first trash can. I didn't talk about it for twenty years. In the late eighties, early nine's I started looking for other vets and in the last thirty years I have welcomed thousands of vets home. Something we never received. Gary, we were winning when I left
mike
67-68
sgt 6th battalion 27th arty