The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
byoungquist

'82 K20 4x4 diesel restoration...?

I’m “restoring” a ‘82 K20 I’ve owned for about 13 years. It’s a 6.2 diesel, TH400, 4x4, 117,00 miles, Power Pac (intake and exhaust), Gear Vendor O/D, Selectro front hubs. 3 fuel tanks (one behind seat), Helwig helper springs- rear, 2” Add-a-Leaf- front, etc. I’ve installed new glow plugs, injector pump, starter, batteries and fuel hoses. The body and chrome is perfect and it has a heavy duty Callen steel framed cap and a 3 point extended hitch receiver.

I’d appreciate any thoughts regarding potential problems with this vehicle, ideas regarding upgrades, or any other ideas that the members of this Forum may have.

I’ve very interested in reliability, since this truck will spend a lot of time in the California and Baja desert and will being doing some towing. I’m especially interest in thoughts about a rear locker.

It also seems to have slight coolant leakage; probably, the infamous cylinder head coolant port…? How serious is this problem?

Thanks,

Bob Youngquist
San Diego, CA
byoungquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
JustOneTruck

Re: '82 K20 4x4 diesel restoration...?

http://www.dieselplace.com

These guys know what is up for the engine and tranny fixes or repairs that might come your way .

JustOneTruck is offline   Reply With Quote