The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
matthew.doan

info on the mustang II setup!! Help me.

Ok I have been asking about the s-10 swap and the Mustang II setup for my 1954, I have finally got the body down to the frame on my truck and the frame is to good to do the s-10 swap so Im going with the mII.

What I need to know is can I buy this a piece at a time and still have a good setup and also how does a person run chevy wheels with the mustang front?

Can I get some pics of your setup so I can see how to do mine! Im going to spend many years on this truck because i want it nice no rat here.

Please help to get my 54 looking and riding the best.
Attached Images

matthew.doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
weldvair@embarqmail.

Re: info on the mustang II setup!! Help me.

I have done it both ways & prefer the Must II. The Must II ride height &
track is perfect, It's easier to install, You maintain you original bed ht
& you do not have to add spacers or specialwheel offset to the IFS.

I run chevy bolt pattern in the front & rear.........Don
Attached Images

Last edited by weldvair@embarqmail.; 02-05-2011 at 11:23 PM.
weldvair@embarqmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Atomsplitter

I'm certain that you can order any aftermarket MII IFS in whatever bolt pattern you want (Chevy or Ford). Remember, your NOT buying an IFS from a 1978 Mustang, your buying an assembly engineered to run in a truck that was created using the MII geometry......thats the only similarity they both have in common. My Heidt's IFS has a Chevy bolt pattern and take Chevy brake pads!
No offense to anyone in this post but this question keeps getting asked, which is expected, from people looking for information to base a build on. Unfortunately people respond stating: "They would never put a MII IFS under a truck because they were not designed for that heavy of a vehicle". If your not sure how something was made don't answer like your an expert because people may actually listen to you. My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers before you put out $2000 for an IFS to ensure it was made for your frame width, has the correct wheel track and ensure it was engineered for a truck.
PS=stay away from the economy a-arms they're crap and required the use of stabilizers.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

matthew.doan

I've done my mustang 2 a piece at a time I can PM you a break down of the parts if you like. Yes you can get the rotors in the bolt pattern of your choice.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
matthew.doan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
matthew.doan

I've done my mustang 2 a piece at a time I can PM you a break down of the parts if you like. Yes you can get the rotors in the bolt pattern of your choice.

that would be great if you could! also the place you got it from...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

You got it I keep a list of everything I buy so I will cut and paste it in your pm.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
jimig1

Kabwe I'd be interested in that list too I'm still undecided on a MII or a camaro sub-frame
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Okay the pm has been sent to you and jimig1. I hope it helps. BTW the cross member is a TCI unit. I ended up spending a little over 1500, but it was not bad when you do it in over time.lol We all have lack of funds sometimes and I don't like using credit cards. I also got some deals on ebay so check there. In the pm I give you vendors, price, websites and parts. Everything I bought was name brand stuff it was heidts or TCI even the stuff on ebay and I also use speedway motors.

In the pic I have coil overs so I did not include that in the list. I only included the basic setup before I went with coil overs.

If anybody else wants the list feel free to PM me or ask one of the guys to forward it.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
cap n crunch

You can buy the MII crossmembers from many places for $350-$500. Google Gearhead Enterprises they sell the upper and lower control arms, everything you need for brakes, and rack and pinions pretty cheap. They usually do free shipping too. I've bought stuff from them with no complaints but I have seen people post up that they were not happy with the service.............................
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimig1 View Post
Kabwe I'd be interested in that list too I'm still undecided on a MII or a camaro sub-frame
Same here, thank you in advance.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap n crunch View Post
You can buy the MII crossmembers from many places for $350-$500. Google Gearhead Enterprises they sell the upper and lower control arms, everything you need for brakes, and rack and pinions pretty cheap. They usually do free shipping too. I've bought stuff from them with no complaints but I have seen people post up that they were not happy with the service.............................
Yeah I brought stuff from them and the service is not good, but the quality I have no complaints about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
Same here, thank you in advance.
Your PM has been sent.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
tmoble

So how come you you do this in PM instead posting it up where everybody who wants to can see it? I just don't get that.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Panelman55

Is the MII IFS better than the Vette C-4? The cost for the C-4 is about the same as for the MII. I really think the over all look and ride would be better in the C-4, but I want to here some feed back also. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread just tring to open the floor for the topic.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
So how come you you do this in PM instead posting it up where everybody who wants to can see it? I just don't get that.
Because I have no ties to these companies and I don't want to be misunderstood for pushing companies. I also did not want it to turn into a my price is better than yours war because you may or not not find better prices that was not the point. Plus I don't know this sites rules about naming vendors and prices in a forum when other vendors pay to advertise here. That's why I PM. Also anytime you talk about suspension and money it turns into something the original poster never asked for. I'm not here to push any product, use it or don't I only tried to be helpful and I noticed that you get criticized no matter what, I said I would pm who ever wanted it or you could ask the guys to forward it.

But I do get the irritation that you seem be be displaying. I politely asked you on another forum if you had a problem with me (in private) and clearly you do because you never responded and this is first post you have directed to me. Its cool everybody can't be cool with each other and that's the way of the world. I just like to know up front because above all else I'm a man about everything. I'm up front and willing to clear the air and move on if we can and the hell with it if we can't.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-02-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
jimig1

I hear you about the credit cards. when I was 18 - 19 I got in debt big time and it was from working on an 87 burb replacing sheet metal and buying tools it can add up quick if you are not paying attention. I leaned from that mistake and wont do that again.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelman55 View Post
Is the MII IFS better than the Vette C-4? The cost for the C-4 is about the same as for the MII. I really think the over all look and ride would be better in the C-4, but I want to here some feed back also. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread just tring to open the floor for the topic.
Do what works for you man, the mustang 2 worked for me if you have any misgivings about it you should not run one or you would not be happy. You know you gonna have that if I would of I should of thing. If you like the C4 you should do it. I like them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimig1 View Post
I hear you about the credit cards. when I was 18 - 19 I got in debt big time and it was from working on an 87 burb replacing sheet metal and buying tools it can add up quick if you are not paying attention. I leaned from that mistake and wont do that again.
Yeah I leave them alone and they leave me alone. Life is much better that way.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-01-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #17
tmoble

Hey wait a minute Kabwe. You're the same guy that emailed me the other day? I definitely don't have a problem with you at all.

What other forum are you talking about? I answered the email.

Did you PM tmoble or Tom Mobley? I recently discovered I have 2 IDs on one of the forums, I had no idea. I like to never got the password fiasco straightened out.

Are you bam55 on that other forum?

In summary, I definitely don't have a problem with you.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
matthew.doan

Kabwe thanks for the info! Great help...

One thing I forgot to ask everyone on here Is if i put the mII on with stock spindels how much will it lower the front of my truck??

Now same question but with 2in drop spindels?

thanks everyone for the help so far and hope this helps many more people that has the same Questions I do....
Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #19
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
Hey wait a minute Kabwe. You're the same guy that emailed me the other day? I definitely don't have a problem with you at all.

What other forum are you talking about? I answered the email.

Did you PM tmoble or Tom Mobley? I recently discovered I have 2 IDs on one of the forums, I had no idea. I like to never got the password fiasco straightened out.

Are you bam55 on that other forum?

In summary, I definitely don't have a problem with you.
Yes I'm BAM55 and I tried to clear up any mix up we may have had because I thought something I said to you could have been taken as arrogant and I meant it as a joke. So I PMed you on trifive site to tell you that I did not intend it as an offense. I apologize again for the misunderstanding and also for this one. When you did not respond I thought I had pissed you off and you brought it into this forum. I thought you knew it was me (we have other members here also and they know BAM is my nickname) and I apologize again if that is not the case and I hope we are cool now. I like to be cool with people.

I did not post the info here because I wanted to avoid all the criticism (from admins and members) and stuff that comes with such a post and I got criticized anyway and it rubbed me the wrong way because all I wanted to do was help the original poster.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-02-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #20
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.doan View Post
Kabwe thanks for the info! Great help...

One thing I forgot to ask everyone on here Is if i put the mII on with stock spindels how much will it lower the front of my truck??

Now same question but with 2in drop spindels?

thanks everyone for the help so far and hope this helps many more people that has the same Questions I do....
You are completely welcome and share that info with who ever ask. I just did not feel comfortable posting here for reason stated above. Here is a pic of a friend's ride with drop spindles. But a lot goes into play when it comes to this stuff and no two rides are alike. So if that is too low for you I guess you should go with standard spindles.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #21
Dirty Doug

Try, www.fulltiltstreetrods.com
They have a complete MII , hub to hub for around $1400.00 it seemed like a good deal and good product. I am holding out for a different front set-up . I want to be able to lay the frame on the ground and the set up I am waiting on uses all Chevy stuff. No Blue Oval for me. LOL
Good Luck!
Dirty Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
michaelnolimit

Here is a No Limit Mustang II setup for a 47-54 chevy pickup. If you study the pictures youll notice our upper mount has the air spring mount, shock mount, and control arm mount all on one piece. Much easier and faster to install one piece compared to three or four. The kit cost a couple bucks more but is well worth the price when it comes down to an easy installation. We also incorporate a support bearing in the drivers shock mount. This support bearing will stabilize the stearing shaft will providing clearance for the exhaust header.
Attached Images

michaelnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #23
michaelnolimit

Cool Re: info on the mustang II setup!! Help me.

Notice the Brake rotor has two bolt patterns. Chevy 5 on 4 3/4 and the ford 5 on 4 1/2. We use a 1/2-20 screw in stud so if you want to change patterns up front its a very simple change you can do at home rather than purchasing another rotor.
michaelnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
oldcarfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomsplitter View Post
I'm certain that you can order any aftermarket MII IFS in whatever bolt pattern you want (Chevy or Ford). Remember, your NOT buying an IFS from a 1978 Mustang, your buying an assembly engineered to run in a truck that was created using the MII geometry......thats the only similarity they both have in common. My Heidt's IFS has a Chevy bolt pattern and take Chevy brake pads!
No offense to anyone in this post but this question keeps getting asked, which is expected, from people looking for information to base a build on. Unfortunately people respond stating: "They would never put a MII IFS under a truck because they were not designed for that heavy of a vehicle". If your not sure how something was made don't answer like your an expert because people may actually listen to you. My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers before you put out $2000 for an IFS to ensure it was made for your frame width, has the correct wheel track and ensure it was engineered for a truck.
PS=stay away from the economy a-arms they're crap and required the use of stabilizers.
Mustang II/ Pinto in original design the engine sat directly over the crossmember, in aftermarket use the engine is setback from crossmember. as I see it the load is same if not close. as for cheap aftermarket a arms.........they scare me. go name brand or oem. I have used many a junkyard MII crossmember in a suspension swap and have never though twice about overload. Just my not-so-humble opinion <grin>
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
oldcarfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelman55 View Post
Your source of C4 parts is much better than mine!
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote