The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Bryon.Dillon

Cant get my truck started after sitting for 1 year

Hello all, I'm hoping someone might throw a few ideas at me as to why this may be happening. I'm completely stumped. Anyways, so I went out to start my truck the other day and it wouldnt start. It turns over, but doesnt even attempt to fire. So I decided to put a little gas in the carb, it fires for a second and then quits, I'm assuming that its burning the fuel i put in there and then its starved. So i decided to take the fuel line going into the carb and disconnect it. I put the end of it in a pop can and turned the motor over to see if i was getting any fuel. Nothing. So obviously its the fuel pump I think, so I go buy a brand new fuel pump, slap it on there, same problem. The line coming from the tank has fuel in it and it keeps running, So i'm assuming that the line isnt clogged. I blew air through the line going from the pump to the carb, it wasnt clogged. The filter is a little dirty, so i tried removing it to see if i could get it to run for 1 sec and diagnose the problem that way. Still didn't run. Please help!

BTW this is a 1972 C10 350 Automatic

Thank you in advance!
Bryon.Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Bryon.Dillon

Re: Cant get my truck started after sitting for 1 year

I mean am I correct that if I pull the line from the carb and turn the engine over a bit, fuel should be shooting out of that line shouldnt it?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Shyguy

Disconnect at the suction of the fuel pump and blow back into the tank, make sure you take the gas cap off first.

You can hook up a temporary fuel can to the suction side of the fuel pump and see what happens also.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Bryon.Dillon

If i run a line from the suction port to a gallon tank of gas, if the pump is good it should shoot out where i disconnect the line from the carb right?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon.Dillon View Post
If i run a line from the suction port to a gallon tank of gas, if the pump is good it should shoot out where i disconnect the line from the carb right?
yes, point it into the pop can to catch the fuel
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

This sounds strange. You are getting fuel to the pump,right? And even with a new pump you get no gas out of it? Is the plunger rod in place and contacting the pump plunger? All I know is once you get gas to the carb,don't expect it to go through the carb. This crap they call gas these days will stop up a carb in way less than a year. I didn't start my tow truck last winter because it has no choke and needed a battery. Got a new battery in spring and it wouldn't fire. Poured gas in carb and,like you,it fired and died. I now have a rebuilt carb and a running truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
cdowns

are u sure your fuel pump is pumping good gas and not a watery mix of crap from sitting unattended?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
dfwright

This would be my guess as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
All I know is once you get gas to the carb,don't expect it to go through the carb. This crap they call gas these days will stop up a carb in way less than a year. I didn't start my tow truck last winter because it has no choke and needed a battery. Got a new battery in spring and it wouldn't fire. Poured gas in carb and,like you,it fired and died. I now have a rebuilt carb and a running truck

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

And,it had Stabil in it. That stuff only slows the process.

http://www.historicvehicle.org/Lates...Fuel-Additives

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
cdowns

i'd try the one gallon tank to the suction side of the pump/ i'd also add a container of fuel system cleaner in the gas to try and clean up the inside of the carb

if that works and you get it running i'd then siphon out what gas is in the tank add 5 gallons of hitest add a couple of cans of fuel system cleaner then go for a drive and if drive goes pretty good then change filter

i'd use truck on a regular basis and continue using fuel system cleaner to cleanup crap in the tank
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
This sounds strange. You are getting fuel to the pump,right? And even with a new pump you get no gas out of it? Is the plunger rod in place and contacting the pump plunger? All I know is once you get gas to the carb,don't expect it to go through the carb. This crap they call gas these days will stop up a carb in way less than a year. I didn't start my tow truck last winter because it has no choke and needed a battery. Got a new battery in spring and it wouldn't fire. Poured gas in carb and,like you,it fired and died. I now have a rebuilt carb and a running truck
As one who has stored cars in the winter for the last 20 years I was thinking this as I was reading down towards special-K's post.

BEFORE crappy, ethanol laden gas, when spring rolled around I did the following to start a parked car. Pull the coil wire, turn the engine over on the starter until the oil light went off or I saw the pressure gauge move, re-connect the coil wire, pour an ounce or so of gas down the carb, then try to start it. That coil-less turning over of the engine does nothing to pump gas. All that is for is to get some oil pressure. Pouring that gas down the carb and getting it to fire - therefore work the fuel pump - is what "primes the pump".

Now a days with crappy gas if the above procedure doesn't start the car, you have to start looking at carb issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd try the one gallon tank to the suction side of the pump/ i'd also add a container of fuel system cleaner in the gas to try and clean up the inside of the carb

if that works and you get it running i'd then siphon out what gas is in the tank add 5 gallons of hitest add a couple of cans of fuel system cleaner then go for a drive and if drive goes pretty good then change filter

i'd use truck on a regular basis and continue using fuel system cleaner to cleanup crap in the tank
Like others have said, if you still don't have it running, get a good supply of fresh gas in a can and a couple feet of rubber hose. Set your gas can on something higher than the fuel pump and prime the temporary rubber hose. Hook the hose up to the suction side of the pump and try again by pouring a bit of gas down the carb to get the engine running which will pump the fuel pump a heck of a lot more efficiently than your starter motor.

If your truck doesn't run on this fresh, temporary supply of gas you have to start looking at carb issues.

Modern, ethanol containing gas should NEVER be left in a carb bowl. If you didn't treat your gas before you let it sit, and your state like Minnesota makes you run 10% or so ethanol, I'm guessing you have a carb rebuild in your future.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Bryon.Dillon

Going to tinker with this when i get home from work tonight, thanks a ton for all the suggestions guys! I'll post my results after I find out whats going on.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
CC69Rat

replaced the FP, and cleaned the inlet line from the pump to the tank .. did you replace the line from the pump to the carb? Is there a fuel filter anywhere between the pump and carb? Post up some pics, one of us might be able to see the problem.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
domeier

Here's the thing: You said it isn't firing unless you pour gas down the carb. Year old gas will run lousy, but it will still run. Your problem isn't old gas, it's what the old gas turned into while it was sitting. There's a big plug of varnish in there somewhere, and your float bowl is probably pure gunk. I'd start by pulling the carb and cleaning it, blow out the fuel lines, draining the tank and replace the filter. I'll bet you a dollar the pump isn't the problem. But... I won't go higher than a dollar!
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
doctrouble

Couldn't you disconnect the fuel line going to the carb and see if gas is squirting everywhere while you turn the key? I also highly suggest dipping your carb. I was having the same problems. Crawled my way though rebuilding my carb and VAWLA!! started RIGHT up. I just didn't touch the mixture screws at all when i tore it down.
doctrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
bigbadchev72
People know me

I had the same problem with my 67' I ended up disconnecting the fuel line from the carb, then took my air hose and stuck it in the gas tank filler neck with a rag to somewhat seal it. Put some air in there and got the fuel to flow through the line. Hooked it back up to the carb and havent had a problem since.
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
Bryon.Dillon

This is getting really weird, so its dark and rainy when i got home tonight, and i dont have a garage, so i can only do so much during the week. Anyways, what I accomplished tonight was this:

I ran a line from the fuel pump directly into a gas can, then i disconnected the line going into the carb and put it into a pop bottle. I cranked the engine, nothing. Cranked it for a good 20 secs, nothing. So I figured maybe the line going from the pump to the carb was clogged, so i disconnected. It's not clogged. Keep in mind that this is a new fuel pump. I dont get it, I'm at a loss. I mean is there anything else that controls whether the fuel pump pumps or not? or is it just cranking the engine over?

I would also like to note that my fuel pump has a 3rd port which is the return to the tank. I tried cranking with this line connected, also with it disconnected and got same results.

Another note, and I dont know if this matters or not, but its something I noticed. So when I'm cranking the engine over, I have to use jumper cables, because either my battery is not charging or there is a bad connection, i'm not sure. Either way if the pump is totally mechanical, that shouldnt be an issue right? I just want to see that the pump is functioning so I can eliminate that as a possibility.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

when my truck sat for several months I went to start it and found it was not getting gas, I went to checking the same way you did and I found a bad fuel pump. It sounds like you may still have a fuel pump problem, especially if the new pump wont pick up from a 1 gallon can a few foot away. are you sure the push rod between the cam and the pump didnt slip down when you changed the pump, it would be hard to install the new pump with the rod in the wrong position but I have seen it happen.
You may want to pull the pump back off, then pull the plate and inspect the push rod, further you could have a helper turn the motor over while you feel if the rod is moving in and out.
good luck

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #19
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytruckluver View Post
You may want to pull the pump back off, then pull the plate and inspect the push rod, further you could have a helper turn the motor over while you feel if the rod is moving in and out.
good luck
Good thing we only bet a dollar.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
Bryon.Dillon

I just hope I end up figuring this out, my dad is gonna come help me this weekend when we have some daylight. Will definately pull the fuel pump as suggested and check to make sure the rod is getting pushed
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #21
383longhorn

i hate washinton rain it puts a end to all outside projects. i would pull the pump and check the rod like every one is saying. after you re install it pull out all your spark plugs so you can get som more rpms while cranking the motor to prime the pump and get oil pressure might as well clean the plugs while they are out. then insted of poring gas down the carb see if you can make a funnel to pore gas down the bowl vent that will be enoyfe fuel to run the motor for 15-30 sec witch should be plenty of time to get the pump primed and fuel to the carb. also if your carb is a qjet rochester or a edlebrock they will not draw fuel from the venturies when they are cold so check to make sure your choke system is working right and closing decently tight. hope this helps you get her running
383longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon.Dillon View Post
This is getting really weird, so its dark and rainy when i got home tonight, and i dont have a garage, so i can only do so much during the week. Anyways, what I accomplished tonight was this:

I ran a line from the fuel pump directly into a gas can, then i disconnected the line going into the carb and put it into a pop bottle. I cranked the engine, nothing. Cranked it for a good 20 secs, nothing. So I figured maybe the line going from the pump to the carb was clogged, so i disconnected. It's not clogged. Keep in mind that this is a new fuel pump. I dont get it, I'm at a loss. I mean is there anything else that controls whether the fuel pump pumps or not? or is it just cranking the engine over?

I would also like to note that my fuel pump has a 3rd port which is the return to the tank. I tried cranking with this line connected, also with it disconnected and got same results.

Another note, and I dont know if this matters or not, but its something I noticed. So when I'm cranking the engine over, I have to use jumper cables, because either my battery is not charging or there is a bad connection, i'm not sure. Either way if the pump is totally mechanical, that shouldnt be an issue right? I just want to see that the pump is functioning so I can eliminate that as a possibility.
Jumper cables are fine other than you might get sparks and with you screwing around with gas that could be interesting.

Your mechanical fuel pump is REALLY good at sucking fuel from a tank. It is REALLY bad at trying to suck air. Try to get some fuel in that temporary fuel supply hose then have a little bit to pour down the carb. Maybe take a cap from an oil bottle and fill it from your temporary supply. That cap full of gas down the carb and a slug of fuel in that temp hose should get things pumping.

If that doesn't work, set aside another small amout of fuel, get the temp hose primed, and disconnect the fuel supply at the carb. Use a pop can or similar to catch fuel out of the supply at the carb that you just disconnected. Crank it and see if you get fuel out of the supply line while it is sputtering. If you do then you have to address issues with bad gas gummed up in the carb.

Remember, gravity fills your truck's fuel line to the fuel pump. If you have your temp tank on a chair with the temp hose coming out of the top of the temp tank, you need to address that air in the temp hose.

I just thought of something slick for this situation. If a guy had a tank from a riding lawn mower with the simple fitting out the bottom of the tank, you could hook your temp hose up to that fitting and let gravity be your friend. That way you would know for sure that you have fuel at the pump.

I think that is what you are chasing now. It isn't unheard of that a new pump is bad however I'm betting you created another "problem" with that temp fuel system.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Mike C

Sounds like the float is stuck and has the needle closed. My WWII jeep does this sometimes. You park it and go to start it 3 month later, nothing. Pull the top off the carb and the needle is glued to the seat so it acts like the float bowl is full of fuel, but it is really empty. Pull down on float and it separates. Spray with carb cleaner and reassemble.

Now I know what causes it, just a top on the bowl with the handle of a screwdriver will break it loose.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
88copperhead

Did you check tank to make sure there is gas in it.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #25
michael bustamante

My blazer was having the same problem. turned out the sock came off the sender and after years of sitting, the sender was rotted and varnish all in the q-jet. alot of varnish!!! after you get fuel to go thru the pump with your temp. gas tank set up, pull your sender and put a new sock on it and make sure the sender is good. im sure theres a few people here including me who have another sender for you if you need one