The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
Psycho71

Rear Tank Install (few questions),

Made my first long trip in the 71 last weekend (550 mles round trip), with mixed results. Had to stop on the way down there (140miles from the house) and buy/install a new fuel filter (no biggie). Then went down to the deer lease and shook the truck all around driving over the rough terrain. Had to stop EIGHT TIMES on the way home to blow out or replace the fuel filter. Even changed the mech pump, didn't help. I must have knocked a whole bunch of crap loose while down there. I had been planning the tank swap anyway, and it was delivered Wed. evening. Picked up all the filler stuff, I think, I'll need to do the install (filler to be in the wheel well, accessed from bed).

I know these questions have probably been answered in previous threads, but I thought that hopefully having the answers I need in one thread might be easier than searching them all out. Call me lazy, and confident in y'alls experience.

I am putting in the blazer/burb tank kit from the truck and car shop,Ca. Also wil be installing new fuel gauge, hopefully it'll work. Guessing how much is in the tank sux. And now that it'll be under the truck I won't be able to knock on it while driving down the road. Not safely anyway.

The wiring in my truck has been butchered. A couple of times it looks like. I can't rely on any of the factory wiring to work properly. I will need to run new wiring for the whole guage/sender assembly.

*What is a simple/safe way to get this thing (gauge) to work?
*Which of the three posts on the back of the guage do I use? Top Right, Top Left, and Center (bottom)?
*And where should these wires connect?
*Any of the other factory electrical components needed? If so I will have to hope they are still there!

*What type of vents will be needed? Aside from the filler vent. I think I have that one figured out.
*Of the two other vents, which should I use? No return line on my pump.
*Where/How should they be routed?
*Any tricks/tips on different parts to use for the vents? I.E. check valves, filters, etc?

My present set-up, by the PO, has the fuel filter BEFORE the pump. So the filter is under negative pressure. I suspect this has contributed to some starvation problems I have had previously. But I didn't change it due to the old tank (thought it might help protect the pump. I am planning to relocate the filter to the leaving side of the pump (positive pressure side), before the carb.

Am I thinking correctly on this issue?
Or was the PO right? If so, it will be the only thing he did right!

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry about the long post, but I know this is the place to ask. And figured a little background might help everyone understand my situation better. I wish everything was in good shape, making this project easier. But it aint, and I couldn't have stolen the truck if it was in good shape throughout.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
msgross

Re: Rear Tank Install (few questions),

my original setup has the filter before the pump.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote