The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
beater69
Sinister Exaggerator

got me a donor pickup!! woohoo!!!

I just picked up a 82gmc 2wd 1/2t, runs and drives for $200. I plan on using the front crossmember for a disc brake conv. and making the rear end work for me too. the pickup was originally a diesel so it is sort of a basket case. but it has fairly strong 350 backed up with a th400. I think i might use it too (not really sure) I planned on using the power booster too until i realized it was running a hydraulic system off the power steering. Is anyone running one of these? It takes up way less room than a vacuum setup. Any other ideas on what I can make good use of off the pickup? Oh and it has a good set of ram horns on it too, I'm prolly gonna sell those.
Thanks
ps, can i keep my manual brakes with the disc conv.?
beater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: got me a donor pickup!! woohoo!!!

Nice score. And yes there is a couple of guys on here that have the hydro boost for the brakes. Yes you can still have manual brakes, not recomended, just get a disc brake master cylinder for a 71-72 truck with manual brakes.
Most, including me, dont recomend manual disks cause of the amount of pressure that is needed with discs. Plus since you got the hydro boost I would use it, 10 times better than vacum boost. I have vacum boost on my 72s and hydro boost on the 94 and 99 vans. The hydro boost is impressive.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
beater69
Sinister Exaggerator

will the hydro assist and master cyl mount on firewall?

has anyone used the fuel tanks out of 73+ trucks? is it worth it?
oh, and i ran some ##'s and the engine is a 73 350 from cal (don't really know what they did for cal motors, i think it was mostly external)
thanks again

Last edited by beater69; 10-09-2006 at 08:39 PM.
beater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Aarons72s

I am pretty sure it will. Like I said there are a few guys that have them they will need to chime in for the deffinent low down. I dont think the sadle tanks will fit. Plus that was gms worst fuel tank design. You get t-boned= you die.
I would get the blazzer tank personally if you dont like the in cab tank. Probably all the air tubes and what not for there bs emission standards.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote