The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Denee007

Wheels n Tires ideas?

Good morning! Today is going to be fun! I'm going to drive my truck here and there to get used to it! It's actually more fun to drive than my 67 Mustang! The 350 sbc engine really makes the truck go and sounds great with the magnaflow mufflers! My husband and I are going to discount tires this afternoon to look in their catalogues at wheels! I'm a little leery of the old tires on it right now to go very far.

Actually, the front wheels which are American Racing on the are in very good shape, but the rear for some reason are oxidized and look horrible. So if discount tires has those same wheels in a 5" lug pattern, I could do that, but I'd rather go with a something else all together~ plus keeping in mind my rear wheels are 5" and the fronts are 4.75" If we did go the lesser expensive route of using the existing wheels, I suppose I could just try to clean the oxidation better and get new center caps if they're available. That would definitely save a few hundred bucks.

I was thinking Cragar SS like I have on my Mustang, cause that's all I really know. I was at the Nifty50ees this past Saturday, and there were a few trucks there, but their wheels were the 17's with the thin tires and very very chrome wheels. I guess figuring out the size of the tires too is something I don't know~ what would look good?

What would you do?

67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
dubie

Re: Wheels n Tires ideas?

i'd be going with some smoothies with baby moon caps

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
mr48chev

You could invest in a wheel polishing kit and buff the tired looking wheels up and see how they look.
I'm not a fan of bigger wheels than maybe 16 inch on older trucks and have been slapped along side the head on here by the progressive truckers a time or two over it but they just don't look right on old trucks. They ride rougher too if my experience with my Cadillac's 17 inch wheels and lower profile tires are an indication of how they ride.

The Crager SS wheels are timeless but they still take a lot of care if you don't want them to start rusting through the chrome.

I'd suggest waiting until I got to a big show like a Goodguy's show where you can see a lot of rigs with different wheel tire combinations and they have a number of wheel vendors with their wheels there so you can see what they have to offer before running down to the tire store to make a change that you might not end up liking. Back in the 90's when I bought my Enkie 32's for my 48 that is pretty much what I did. We saw them on display at the Portland Roadster show on Saturday and ordered a set for the truck at the local tire shop I deal with on Monday. Your wheels are quite similar to the ones I have.

I don't like to suggest anything because I never know what someone else's wheel/tire budget is and I think it's not cool to suggest a set of wheels and tires that may be way beyond someone's budget for wheels and tires. On the other hand I'd rather see someone run painted steel wheels and hubcaps rather than "get by" wheels and tires from the tire store.

Drive it and have fun with it and look at wheels and tires on other rigs until a set pushes your "OH WOW" button and then you have found your new set of wheels and tires.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
mknittle

I like the smoothies chrome with baby moons(mandatory). Or painted/powder coated
with small hubcaps and narrow trim rings.

I have a pair of 15X7" Camaro rally wheels that I am thinking about painting and using small hubcaps and narrow trim rings. I will need a pair of rears maybe 15X8" paint color changes with the body color of the week.
I am leaning toward red hammered on the wheels.

I think the wheels you have draw your attention away from the rest of the truck. They don't look bad but maybe a bit too complicated.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 07-08-2013 at 10:20 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
zenchal26

smoothies and wide whites
zenchal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Denee007

Wow, smoothies seem to be very popular! They do look easy to clean.
I do like raised white lettering though.
Any particular brand of tires? Maybe a little lower profile in the front vs the rear? I do plan to lower the front with a dropped axle(regret not doing that!), but that won't be for a while.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, you're asking so here's my $.02:

I'm a Torq Thrust lover but NOT the chromed ones. I like the cast spokes & machine finish lip ones. I'd not go over 17" on these trucks unless its slammed. Then I've seen 18's & 20's look good...on someone else's truck

On yours if you stay with what you have, don't fool around. Have them professionally polished. If your truck were mine and I were NOT using TT's I'd go with Rally wheels in traditional Argent silver, rings and derby caps, or possibly '57-'59 chrome caps.

See ChuckDriver's truck for a kickass stance and NIICE looking Rally's.

PS: Chrome reverse and baby moons aka "smoothies" WOULD look good; I'd say do NOT do wide whites nor white letters with those.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-08-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Denee007

Dan, you know I ALWAYS appreciate your advice and opinions! As well as everyone here! What would we do if we all lived in the same town!?

Now I like these wheels! It doesn't have to be the high dollar ones, just nice to look at and complementary to the truck. I have this thing about white raised letters though!
So would I go a little smaller size tires on the front? to give an illusion of rake or decreasing the gap between the tire and fender? Wheels are easier to pick out, but tires throw me a curve~
https://www.google.com/#q=torq+thrus...w=1920&bih=888

Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Very conplimentary comments, thank you.

Just me but I'd not go lower than 60 series on your truck and raised letter are fine if you like them. It's just that they're more of a 70's muscle car thing originally and that's why I would not pair them with smoothies - more of a late 50's to mid 60's thing in SoCal.

I would also use only one size wheel & tire. But that's just me. I honestly think you'd be happiest with your current wheels professionally polished ($400-500), OR Rally wheels. 8's if you have power steering. 7's without.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
torchlight

I am also a fan of the chrome smoothies - that is what I'm putting on my truck when the time comes.

Now they are pretty popular - I have to be honest and admit that I did go through a phase of thinking where I considered not using them just because they are fairly common to see.

But, I realized that was silly thinking! If they are the right wheel for my truck and my tastes, then who cares if the same wheel is on one other truck out there or a million.

The thing I like about them so much is that they allow you to add some nice chrome inside the wheel wells but still maintain a more classic style of look.
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Mac the Yankee

Astro Supremes (Cragar has a nice copy) and 1/2" whites would look nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
mechanixman

I've seen someone take their TF truck and use the stock steelies and a 70's c10 hubcap.

If you're buying new tires anyway why not have some fun and make the old ones white walls for a little bit. The white lettering is actually a whitewall with another piece of black rubber on top. Just a thought

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
Daze57

for me it s the American Racing hi polished C P 200s
Although they make a cast version - i always was partial to the polised look
the ''coke bottle '' or ''daisy'' spoke has always been my favorite
8 inch deep in front - 10 - 12 in. deep in the back

Last edited by Daze57; 07-08-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

I have a buddy that loves the daisy or coke bottle wheel - the polished ones. I really only like the cast spoke ones, not sure why. They DO look good on the Task Force trucks.

Denee, here are a few photos of our trucks with different wheels I've saved over the years just to whet your whistle!

The flat black ones with the daisy/coke bottle/S200 (I think they're called) belongs to member "Mo Junk" if you want to search other photos of his.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-08-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

...and here's the ones I picked for you. truck near stock height somewehat like yours. Raised white letters too!
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Denee007

Dan, thank you so much, you're such a sweet guy!

Well, here's the verdict~ we went to discount tires, and they had the wheels that are on my truck now. I only need two for the rear at 112.oo a piece. So with a set of tires, probably get off pretty lightly on cost. Gary didn't want me to spend a great deal on wheels, and I can understand. (I also need a set of tires for my CX-9, and my Geo tracker) The wheels will look just fine with new center caps and fresh rubber. What tires~ the man suggested BF Goodrich/TA radials which is whats on my Mustang.

I'll be going over there in the morning in my truck as the sales guy wants to see what's going on with the truck. IF it's raining, I won't. I know he'll probably have to order the wheels that I need. Maybe in a couple days, I'll have some new tires and I can go ANYWHERE!