The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

1/2 ton to 3/4 ???????

I have a '67 1/2 ton burb 4x4 all stock. Really wish it was a 3/4 ton. I just picked up a '68 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. It looks to have a 4 inch lift on it. Was thinking about taking parts off the truck for my burb. Would the lift kit and axles swap without too many headaches? I measured the leafsprings and the lengths were the same. The only difference I found was the front leafs on my stock burb were narrower in the middle than on the ends and the leafs on the truck were the same width the whole length of the spring. What exactly is a shackle flip, also? Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: 1/2 ton to 3/4 ???????

Why do you want a 3/4 ton?The rear axle is really the only thing different besides the springs.The 1/2 ton uses the same front axle from the knuckles out or somewhere close.You can get 3/4 ton brakes,hubs,etc and convert the front to 8 hole from a 6 hole.Its really no stronger.The GMC most likely still has dana 60 rear,which is an ok axle.The lift will already bolt to your 67,the 67-68s used the same leaf configurations.If I was going to do it,I would just swap the lift.The only reason I would consider swapping to 3/4 ton was if the new axle had discs.And to answer the questions,the axles will bolt up if the 3/4 ton is really a 68.69 + wont bolt up directly.You will have fun removing bolts,ect to swap springs but the lift is a simple task for most

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 12-25-2007 at 09:27 AM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

sorry for the long delay in response time. My computer got packed away for my move to northern cali, so I have to go to the local library across town and use there computer whenever I have time. Which is never. I wanted to go to 3/4 ton axles and suspension for all the stronger components. I want to do some heavy towing with my burb and run bigger tires and wheels without worrying about axle failure. I picked up this GMC with plans to just take the buddy buckets out of it and steal the bumpers, since my burb has no bumpers, but then I started looking at it a little better and its got an older 6 inch lift that I would like on my burb and the guy told me he had gone through the axles and put in new seals and bearing and even changed the gears. My axles on my burb are completely stock and need alot of repairs. The more I look at that GMC the more parts I find I could use on my burb. Just wish I had the time and the know-how to change it all over.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
1969 GMC

If you're gonna be towing, I'd upgrade to disc brakes in the front.

And fyi, the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton front axles are the same thing, with different #'s of lug nuts. Like 69k10step said, the rear axle is the only one that's different.

i'd try to find a mid 70's K20 and swap that stuff over. unless that '68 is totally trashed, you could sell it and make some $$ back.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote