The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
twillie2460

problems with LMC rear e-brake cable

I am tired of fighting this one as it has been hours now just trying to fiqure this one out. Can anyone tell me or have and pictures of how this cable fits through backing plate. I think I have tried most everything but no matter it seems the cable can pull back out of the backing plate the the clip doesn't seem to fit good anywhere. He is a picture of the cable, the clip, and the part that I know fits on the inside of the backing plate. LMC is no help what so ever as I tired.
Attached Images

twillie2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
midniteblues

Re: problems with LMC rear e-brake cable

I havent seen a cable with that kind of capture before but I'm gonna guess that the fingers that protrude on the capture should be pushed through too the inside of the backing plate.
i'm also gonna guess that the capture will just slide off the cable when put on allmost like there should be tabs that click onto the groove on the end of the cable houseing but theres no tabs huh?

and i'm also gonna guess that the clip your showing is their version of the clip that should hold the cable onto the trailing arm bracket

If you ask me that looks like a cheesy setup.I just got some cables from rock auto and they are awesome excatly like oe except with a coated cable and half the price the f**ked up auto parts stores wanted(sorry but I'm very upset with the local advance auto).
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
RANDY COX

after you slide everything through there will that clip slide onto it in that groove,if not then I would suggest going to the auto parts like napa and get a c clip that will fit and it should be fine...hope this helps..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
RANDY COX

looks like there's marks on there,that maybe it was crimped on there and it came loose,I would put it all back in there and try the c-clip..
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Sammy

Not for sure, but ran into the same thing early summer. I think I ended up bending the tangs inside the backing plate, the clip they provided I used on the other end.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
twillie2460

Well I brought the backing plate and cable assembly to the kitchen table for one last attemp to make this thing work. I tried to get the clip with the prongs back on so it would stay but with very little force it comes off and I have no faith it would stay on while in use on the truck. I tried to use c clips that were ordered with the rest of the e-brake cables and they are to big to fit in the area around the backing plate. At this point I am going to try and re-package this cable and let LMC have them back. After reading LMC's return policiy not sure I get credit for one of them but I will try anyway. Then I will go to Rock Auto and get those as Midniteblues seems to like the ones he got from them.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Lee H

Have you tried to assemble the whole thing, on the truck? I think that once it's all together it will stay in place. The shoes and springs will keep constant pressure toward the rear and the adjusting rod will keep pressure toward the front.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
68Gold/white

I used to work in a aftermarket auto parts store, AND worked on a bunch of stuff...

I've never seen a cable end like that either, or at lest apart like yours currently is.

IF, IF, you can't return them... I believe you can make that sleeve snap into the cable end by somehow crimping the the end of the sleeve, allowing the use of the fingers for attachemnt to the backing plate. I believe the wire retainer may be used for attachment of the other end of the cable...The cables I sold in the good old days, installed just like factory stuff....

Must be difficult getting stuff made correctly in China, see it WAY too often...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
twillie2460

Lee I started this process with it on the truck and could not seem to keep the cable clip with the prongs on it in place. It seemed to just slip off very easily to me and once I started using it to park as I am going to a T-56 trans I did not think it would hold. It really does make re-think all the parts I bought for this part of the project from LMC and how they good they will work for me. I want to do this in a way it doesn't give me many problems down the road.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Lee H

Gotcha, just thinking out loud. When I rebuilt mine I used cables from Inline Tube and did not have any issues. Not sure of the differences if any between Inlines and other aftermarket suppliers.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
twillie2460

Thanks Lee I will go check out Inline Tube also. Just a quick note to all reading this thread though beware of Auotpartsexpress.com I ordered $383.62 of parts last month and they won't answer any calls I made to them or reply to any emails I sent to them. Now have my Visa card going after them and a complaint in with the Better Business Bureau, sorry just need to rant more I guess.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
midniteblues

just for your info and anyone else thats intrested
the cables I ordered from rock auto were raybestos part # bc92416
I do believe they were $10 and some change apeice and I had zero problems with them BUT they did not come with the clip for the trailing arm bracket.
it didnt matter too me cause i saved the orginals and blasted n painted them

twillie, its a shame that such reputable companys like lmc will sell products like this.
they are such a big company one would think they would put the time and effort out to sell quality stuff that works but they dont.
this is where smaller places like gmc pauls and wes at classic heartbeat shine cause they have used these products and know what does and what doesnt work thats why in the end sometimes its worth to pay a lil' more.

for the most part give thanks too this board for provideing the place where we can swap info such as this
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
twillie2460

Thanks blue I am currently have a long list built up at rock auto now. It always takes me some time to make sure my list is correct before I pull the trigger on a order or I try to anyway. I am like you I would think a place like LMC would have a better working knowledge of what works and what does not and these ebrake cables do not meet the test that is for sure.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
twillie2460

Got the brake cable from Rock Auto today and it hook right up no problem and soon LMC will get there cables back.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
midniteblues

glad those cables worked for you i'm sure they cost a lil' less also.
If i'm not mistaken I' think your pads are reversed iirc the shorter pad should be in the front.
also it looks like your missing the diamond shaped retainer that goes on the anchor stud at the top I'm not sure on how important this peice is but it is part of your brake assembly
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
jocko

excellent catches - here's a driver's side to point out how it should look for ref (note some parts look a little different because mine is 3/4 ton, but the things midniteblues mentioned are the same/universal):
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-24-2013 at 12:38 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
mmsidaho

I just recently installed these parts on my rebuild, and I checked and I don't have any good pictures I can post, so I'll try to describe it to you.

The cylindrical part with the protruding tabs in your picture is the part that pushes through the backing plate and holds the cable into the backing plate. The wire clip part is what holds the cable in the mounting bracket in the trailing arms.

If this doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll try to talk you through it.

BTW, the other comments others have made about RockAuto are true. I've had very good luck with them in buying certain parts for my rebuild. You can't get everything from them, but I've been very satisfied with everything I've decided to get through them that they have available.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
twillie2460

Thanks guys I wasn't sure sure about the brake shoes but I kind of thought the diamond shape plate was missing. But it was never there to begin with. I did tear this whole thing back down as I wanted to paint the parts I picked up from a vintage salvage place. There was no parts in this to make the e-brake work and I need these things as I am going to a T-56 trans. I will hunt down the missing part and fix the shoe problem going back together. I did take a picture of the left side and short shoes is in the front and you can see the diamond plate thing is missing here also plus the curved arm to hook up the e-brake is gone but this is the way it came to me. I will post a picture when I get it fixed.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
twillie2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
excellent catches - here's a driver's side to point out how it should look for ref (note some parts look a little different because mine is 3/4 ton, but the things midniteblues mentioned are the same/universal):
Jocko if you are talking about the picture of my cable assembly at the start of this thread, that assembly is the problem as the round thing that is suppose to hold the cable in the backing plate does not hold it very good. It takes little to no pressure to pull the cable back out of the backing plate and the clip is so big it falls off the cable where it is suppose to go on in the trailing arms. The new cable from Rock auto has neither one of these problems.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
twillie2460

Well not sure it is going to be easy to find those diamond plates for the brakes as the local parts store don't carry them. LMC does not show them, so it seems the hunt is on.
It is amazing how hard some of the simplest parts are to find. I had a hard time finding the washers that go on the after the bushings for the upper and lower a-frames or control arms.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
twillie2460

I found one of the diamond plates off a rear end I have but it only had one so still in need of one more. I have a question about the self adjuster on the right side. It seems to me that there is no way it can work the way it is. If you look at the picture it is the same as it came off. On the left side the adjuster works when the arm turns the well down and moves the adjuster out but on the right side this adjuster wheel must move up to move the adjuster out. Can this be right or do I need to make changes?
Pictures of the right without the diamond plate and the right side with the plate.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
midniteblues

looking better just gotta find another one of them plates
as long as you didnt put the wrong adjuster on the wrong side (or a po maybe)cause the threads are right and left specific other than that you should be good too go
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
twillie2460

Wel I put that one back in the same side I took it out of as I had the other side together before took the right side apart. I always do it this way, just simpler for me to do one at a time all the way thru. But I can't say it was right when I took it apart considering some of the other stuff I found on this truck, ie just some of the reason it is in a middle of a frame off retoration.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
GRX

Good that the Rock Auto cables worked for you. Not sure why you were having such an issue with the LMC stuff. I ordered a complete e-brake kit from them and installed it without a hitch. Only hard part was grinding out the original swedge pins through the frame. Oh, I also replaced the drums, shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders while I was in there.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #25
jocko

twillie - the pic I posted was only to show the two items midniteblues mentioned (brake shoes reversed and lack of diamond shaped backing plate. Don't pay any attention to my e-brake cable, they are 3/4 tonners on a Dana 60.

Regarding the adjuster wheels - they are a Left or Right proposition. So if you are looking at them through the opening in the wheel backing plates outward (i.e. the direction you will jam the screwdriver in to adjust them after the wheels are on, and have to move the screwdrive (or adjuster wrench, etc) in different directions to adjust the pads outward (for example), it is likely that you either have 2 left or 2 right adjusters.

It is easy to mix them up - but, they should be stamped L or R, normally.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote