The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
mrobertm31

Question Advice on 454 build

Hey all, new to forum and new to a 1967/71/72 rat rod project i just acquired. Smoked the lower end of the 350 due to the builder deciding to leave trash in the oil pan and clogging the oil pump. Thanks. Anyways, 350 is trash, and i have a junkyard virgin 454 i just bought to build. I am looking to build a daily driver, streetable with 400 ish hp and 450 ish tq. dont want to track it, just be able to smoke tires and imports should the need arise. I have the original iron oval port heads that i can reuse, or upgrade to aluminum brodix if the need be, but i would like to do this for around 2500 bucks. The block is a hi-perf, but i don t know yet if the crank is steel or iron, but it is
.010 under already, so im not sure if i want to use it. Im really looking for a complete setup that i can do mostly myself, that is tried and true. Ive found numerous "cheap" builds for hp, but i would like something realistic that will last more than three runs down track on spray.

On a side note, will a 454 mount in stock position with 402 motor mounts or will i have to relocate and customize everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated
mrobertm31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Advice on 454 build

A 454 in stock form in a truck will "smoke the tires" all day long. Toss a bigger bump stick in it and it will make you smile even more... and still be very streetable.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
mrobertm31

I appreciate the reply, but I am looking for builds people have done, combos and all that. I want it to run, and run for a long time. Once i get the body restored, its going to be my daily driver, i dig driving around in something nasty and not very fuel efficient (current driver is old corvette).
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Not sure what eles you need. Rebuild it stock and put a slightly larger than stock camshaft in it. Use a stock Q-jet on an aftermarket aluminum manifold. It will run forever. EZPZ...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
mrobertm31

will just doing the camshaft get me into the 400 land at the wheels though?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobertm31 View Post
Hey all, new to forum and new to a 1967/71/72 rat rod project i just acquired. Smoked the lower end of the 350 due to the builder deciding to leave trash in the oil pan and clogging the oil pump. Thanks. Anyways, 350 is trash, and i have a junkyard virgin 454 i just bought to build. I am looking to build a daily driver, streetable with 400 ish hp and 450 ish tq. dont want to track it, just be able to smoke tires and imports should the need arise. I have the original iron oval port heads that i can reuse, or upgrade to aluminum brodix if the need be, but i would like to do this for around 2500 bucks. The block is a hi-perf, but i don t know yet if the crank is steel or iron, but it is
.010 under already, so im not sure if i want to use it. Im really looking for a complete setup that i can do mostly myself, that is tried and true. Ive found numerous "cheap" builds for hp, but i would like something realistic that will last more than three runs down track on spray.

On a side note, will a 454 mount in stock position with 402 motor mounts or will i have to relocate and customize everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated
There are hundreds of articles on mild 454 builds for that oval port motor. All use one form of mild cam or another and they all hit the mark close to 450HP and 500Ft Lbs of torque...Super Chevy, Chevy High Performance, Car Craft, Vette, Hot Rod, Blah, Blah, Blah....google it, read them all and choose the one you like. Car Craft did one with an Edelbrock manifold, 850 CFM Holley and a very mild crane hydraulic cam that made the curve below and total cost, including $1000.00 for a rebuildable 454 was $2500.00
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobertm31 View Post
will just doing the camshaft get me into the 400 land at the wheels though?
10 to 1 compression, A mild cam and dual plane mid rise intake,headers and a 2 1/2 to 3 inch exhaust would get you to an easy 400 hp 454.
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
70CHEVYBB

All bb chevys said hi-perf on the block. Including the low horse engines with two bolt mains. I am doing a .060 over 454 that makes it a 468. I have 110 c.c. heads up grading to 2.19 and 1.88 stainless valves. .210 dome on my pistons gives me 10 to 1 comp. A full roller comp cams thumper cam (1800 to 5500 ) air gap intake 750 carb and mallory ignition. all balanced and would guess very low 500 h.p. I plan on a local dyno test when done.
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
RHestand

IMO, buy the book "HOW TO HOT-ROD A BIG BLOCK CHEVY" by Bill Fisher. Lots of good easy to understand info. for about $15. There are a lot of options for your build and they cover most of them.
As for your .010 under crank, unless its scored really bad, you can either have it polished and if that doesn't clean it up, it would not be a bad option to turn it .020 under. Esp. if it's a steel crank. They're not easy to come by on the cheap.
I have a High Torque 502" crate motor (385 HP & about 520 lbs. torq.), 4 speed Muncie trans. and a 3.55 posi., in my 71 3/4 ton Chevy (Just under 5000 lbs, with me in it). And to say the least, I'm very impressed with the way it runs. Smooth idle @ 700 RPM, and tire smoking acceleration.
IMO, the BB Chevy is one of the best production engines ever, esp. to hot-rod. Not only are they very durable, but also have a huge amount of new and used after market parts available, at a comparably low price.
Good Luck, Ray
RHestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
cdowns

if you think it is a hipo engine and something extra special ??
sorry it is not as they all were marked that way from day one on all passenger vehicles and it means nothing
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote