The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Sorry some pics ar upside down. Not sure why.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Port&PolishMan

PS: what did You do these Rain Wipers are - Cheap One 's
There must be something Better .. 12 Volts
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
vintovka

I used the common 12 volt conversion from one of the big vendors. Cost about $150 with all the discounts and still needs work. They don't tell you that you need to drill the old rubber grommets out completely to install. I do not like the way it sounds and the fit of the motor to the wiper arms seems sloppy. May add extra washers or double up on the spring retainers (have an extra). BTW the one that came with broke immediately.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Port&PolishMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I used the common 12 volt conversion from one of the big vendors. Cost about $150 with all the discounts and still needs work. They don't tell you that you need to drill the old rubber grommets out completely to install. I do not like the way it sounds and the fit of the motor to the wiper arms seems sloppy. May add extra washers or double up on the spring retainers (have an extra). BTW the one that came with broke immediately.
I Traded an Ingersoll Garden Tractor , Mower Deck - HD with Timkin Bearings 54"

Wheel Weights -Coated Kind

Extra Set of Rear Tires which are getting hard to Find or find them
at 800 miles away . ( Big and Heavy )

Set of Chains . .

That Said : Even Thou these Tractor are Workers _ I did work the Tractor
7 yrs. I Plowed all My Area's Driveways & Library - entire Parking Lot .

During Massive Storms : I was Out an about in 5 Degree weather ..
in 1 yr. I did -- 144 Driveways I actually wore out a Snowblower that is
10 Ga. HD Snowblower - made to last 18 yrs.
( Wore It the F&^($% OUT ) $$$ . Tractor Paid for itself and another Newer Blower all the way from NJ .
I Than used that Snow Caster - 2 yrs. doing about 70 driveways a yr.
PLUS My Driveway during all of this . . During all the Turns Down ,
* Layoff's .*
Cut-backs , Stock Market Crashes , Economy Tanked ** ..

I reconditioned Tractor 5 yrs. ago 365 Hrs on Motor , so I got a Pretty Penny for it ! ( 2003 )

Tractor cost New about $9995.00 - $11000.00
NEW . This Tractor I traded was Far from New - and - Worked Harder
then Anyone has worked one of these Tractors .

ps: USAF 42 Yrs. ago ..had a 49 Chevy Couple back then
Ps: I Guess You could say it's taking Me a Long time to get a Truck .

Last edited by Port&PolishMan; 04-02-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
vintovka

Been really busy. Tearing out bed and redoing the cab interior. Just installed a new headliner. On the 54 new flexible windshield and cab windlace rubber is extremly important in installing headliner. My windshield and cab windlace in brand new. Was able to install the headliner under both but it was a pain. The windlace rubber flexibilty is way more important and i would think it easier to install headline first. Not mentioned anywhere is the trick i found by accident. Use the metal center headliner bow as a guide to trim the cardboard edges to correct side to side length. Yes, you do need to trim it and its a hairy scary one try deal. Even more important is to wait till AFTER the headliner is completely installed to cut the holes for the Passenger side visor. Go slow. Use the supplied pattern to find the approximate hole locations with a small sharp awl and the visor bracket to get correct locations.. Another one shot deal with disaster a half mm away at all times. Lastly the rear headliner section usually needs to be trimmed to fit as well. Ignore what the experts say. Take the excess off the front edge and not the rear with the screw cutouts. IMHO the repop liners are all poorly made and shipped. My first one broke in half after a week of gentile flexing. Being tightly rolled saves shipping but renders the product very difficult to work with. Even side panels require careful trimming. FWIW i rethraded the new door cranks and handles. The asian threads and phillis head screws are garbage. 1/4x28 TPI allens work great and won't slip.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
vintovka

Finally got courage up to rip out the bed. I still remember installing it back in 1995 and the "marine grade plywood" touted to last forever was long rotted away. I had sealed it, painted it and did it all so it lasted maybe 15 years before giving up. New bed will be Choicedek synthetic with all stainless runners, angle covers and all stainless hardware. This one better last as its the last one i will install. What a mess. Had to grind most of the rusted bolts and tear out the runners with a crowbar.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

How did you get that to hang on the ceiling like that?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
vintovka

Sorry even trying to post them in evey way possible (for me) they still come out upside down. If anyone can help please do so.

Last edited by vintovka; 08-24-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
vintovka

Fixed it by rotating 360 and re saving weird, Sideview with power retractable running board hung on fabbed swinging bar. Rear mount thru adjustable bracket. no more climbing. and can reach bed area easy. May add cover for bar to conceal mechanism. Remind me of wings on F-111 its dedicated to. Will have both automatic and on demand deployment.
Attached Images

Last edited by vintovka; 08-25-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
vintovka

"Flux capacitor" actually a 10 fuse block/6 relay set up to service all the powered options. Goes with an 8 switch panel shown. The brace is mounted to the dash connecting rods with quick release nuts for easy servicing. The original 84 GMC fuseblock is ok but confusting and limited. Again wish this could be moved to the "build" area.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #11
vintovka

Power Running Boards and electronics.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #12
Katrina/10

Good work on eluding the CA DMV Gestapo!!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Good work on eluding the CA DMV Gestapo!!
The CA DMV Gestapo issue came up again. Guess even driving any vehicle with out of state plates might be probable cause to get stopped by Local and CHP. Some regular and car club guys here in OR reporting being pulled over for just that in Sacramento and LA areas and let go because they had valid OR addresses and OR Drivers licenses. The big increases in CA DMV fees causing a crackdown on those living in CA and registering elsewhere. Just a heads up as fines are beyond heinous.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
dsraven

with the 700r4, is there a shift module inline? they are electronically shifted correct? I am sure you have that figured out though.
that sucks but at least you got some road time. do the throttle pates work properly with the warped base? not binding?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
with the 700r4, is there a shift module inline? they are electronically shifted correct? I am sure you have that figured out though.
that sucks but at least you got some road time. do the throttle pates work properly with the warped base? not binding?
No electronics on this one except OD. The shop and I agree sitting for so many years may have destroyed it. Not sure the warpage will affect the plates They did need to add a 1' spacer and thicker gasket to resolve the vacuum issues and the engine runs fine. Will be speaking to MFR directly concerning the additional costs and hassles involved.

Toying with idea of ordering a new performance 700r4 and having it installed. Don't have that much time left to fuss with a poor rebuild.

If you can still do your own work you have this old mans envy,
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
vintovka

Well its been over a year with all sorts of ups and downs. One positive note is that there's an auto Parts supplier that is over and above.. I am completely impressed that Rancho Shocks stepped up to the plate and honored their "lifetime guarantee" and replaced all my shocks (and steering stabilizer}. They were added around 2001 and now 16 years later completely shot. They took the old ones back and shipped new ones at no cost. They make a good product unlike EDELBROCK whose quality control and customer service are in the toilet. I will never buy or recommend badly made and machined EDELBROCK products to anyone ever again. Their products cost me about a grand to resolve.

Also a thumbs up to PEP BOYS who warranted my 17 year old alternator. They were delighted to get it back in the original box for display.

Both the brakes and the tranny remain pricey issues but trying to have them both addressed soon. The last step will be the adding of the HAP ARNOLD AIR force wings to the doors and the memorial myrtle wood side racks. Then off to local shows, parades and USAF recruiting centers.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
LT7A

Very cool story with this truck. So glad that you kept at it. The insignias on the doors look fantastic. My grandfather was Army Air Corps. I'm impressed and moved by how you've kept track of those who were lost. I hope they can fix your transmission for minimal cost. Keep going on this thing. The frustration is natural, but don't lose heart. It's a great story and a great truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
vintovka

Sadly still waiting for shop to call and say that tranny is fixed. Just as well as needed to wait for another pension and VA disability check to help pay for this latest major setback. My project is running on less than fumes now.

The emblems shown are just digital for now. the real ones are sitting in sign shop waiting for truck as well. The USAAC symbol is the nicest one the AF ever had. Almost glad the USAF forebade the use of the current symbol (which i dislike). FWIW in the same phone call in which the said i couldn't use the current symbol they solicited me to bring the truck to a recruitment event. Still may attend. Missing the Memorial Day parade really hurts.

FWIW not hard to keep track of lost aircrew. My hand drawn attack plans were in their hands when they died. I was often last to see them. Only a Sgt but all treated me with respect and their advice changed my life. They will always stay young in my mind never get any older, and a constant reminder to to live my life the best i can because theirs ended so abruptly.

Last edited by vintovka; 05-29-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
vintovka

Been busy with life. The trans was "fixed" but had to go back to Coos Bay because of leaks (150 mile round trip). Many other fixes and upgrades added. Most notable was the GPS installed on dash. Made it to first parade. Very small town but still a parade. This is the culmination of the 50 year+ plan. Still needs much work and may never really be finished. Becoming a "coastal cruiser" for our nearly daily trips to beach (weather permitting). Always seems to draw a crowd of appreciative folks and brings back many memories.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #20
joedoh

I like doing math and what is fun to think about is that this truck was only 13 years old when it was given to you. for everyone else to wrap their mind around, that is like being given a 2005 chevy short bed truck today.

very nice work, I remember when you posted the first time! its a rare thing to "finish", unofficially only 10% of the projects in the projects forums are done in less than 3 years.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #21
vintovka

I was upset it took so long. Another "bucket list" checked off.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
vintovka

Been working on little stuff. Found my brake light switch i installed so 20 years ago finally died. Was able to take it apart, lube with silicone and its good as new. Attached is a pic of the third brake light. The location is only one i could use given limitations and looks like it was made for truck with the 1954,55 rear bumper. I wanted it to also light up with the turn signals but no deal. If you buy one the know this. White is ground, black is parking and red is stop. Drunken PRC Engineers.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #23
Old57

Cool truck, glad I found your build thread
Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #24
MiraclePieCo

What's the story behind the outside mirror change?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
vintovka

Peeps were useless with vent windows and downright dangerous for me in traffic.