The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
DINK

C10 front end under an AD Chevy truck

Can't remember if it was here, but I saw pics of a C10 front end that a guy narrowed and put up under an Advanced Designs truck. Does any one know if or where it is on this site?
DINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
winchster

Re: C10 front end under an AD Chevy truck

I have one, I didn't narrow it though.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
DINK

Got pics?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

I have a C-20 IFS under the front of my 1-ton. However its not finished.

A couple years ago I went on a mission to find finished and driving trucks with this swap, and discovered pretty quickly that very few of these conversions have been completed and are under trucks that get driven.

Yes there are some out there, but a lot more people start the swap than finish it.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
winchster

If you need better or more specific, let me know.
Attached Images

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
DINK

That's why I ask . It seems from sitting in my office here (HA HA) that once narrowed it would be a bolt in affair. Saw pics of a really good one just don't remember where. I've only thrown away half a dozen or so of those front ends. What are the complications of this swap?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
DINK

Pictures just showed up! I have not even measured the track width difference between the stock axle VS the C10 front. Do you know the difference?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
mr48chev

Any photos of it with the fenders on it? I've always understood that those setups were pretty wide for AD trucks.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
DINK

To clarify, the one I saw had a section of metal took out right in the middle of the cross member and was welded back together to fit the AD frame.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
mobileortho

I have one on my 3600. I took the IFS from a '79 and narrowed it about an inch & a half and bolted it right in. Also added a set of dropped spindles and cut off 1 1/2 coils. Pictured are 16x7 Torq Thrust II's but I've purchased a set of 17x7 for the front & 17x11 for the rear. I also recently acquired some lower tubular A arms that I'll get around to when I recoup( prostate cancer). Hope that helps.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
winchster

I had spacers machined out of incaloy *sp by a buddy of mine to make up the difference. So this is a bolt on affair.

Yes, with these particular wheels the tires do stick outside the fenders slightly. However, it matches the rearend that I used, and I think it looks better than the S10 conversions that tuck the tire too far under the fender in my opinion. Don't flame me, it's just my opinion.

This is the only pic I can find right now. Understand that in this picture the wheels are turned slightly left.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
winchster

Here is a link to another shot of how far it sticks out.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t/DSC_0011.jpg

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
I have a C-20 IFS under the front of my 1-ton. However its not finished.

A couple years ago I went on a mission to find finished and driving trucks with this swap, and discovered pretty quickly that very few of these conversions have been completed and are under trucks that get driven.

Yes there are some out there, but a lot more people start the swap than finish it.
I have driven mine. My son drove it to school his senior year. I did this swap in '99 Back when S10's were a new thing and I couldn't afford a Heidt's, Fatman, or MII

Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINK View Post
Pictures just showed up! I have not even measured the track width difference between the stock axle VS the C10 front. Do you know the difference?
This is the information I find.
Wheelbase/Front Track/Rear Track

106.5, 65.75, 62.75--73-87 Chevy Blazer 4WD

131.5, 65.8, 62.7 -- 73-87 Chevy C-10, K-10 LWB

116.0, 59.5, NA,, -- 47-54 Chevy AD 1/2 ton

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
mobileortho

If you are concerned about the front wheels sticking out you can remedy this by choosing wheels with the right offset. Here's a closeup of mine.

1950 3600

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
winchster

I never spent the time to find the wheels with the right backspacing. Yours looks really good Robert.

Last edited by winchster; 03-02-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
izonme13

mobileortho, what size wheels are they and what kind of offset are you using. So also how much of a drop did you do. Im thnking 2" spindles, but how much spring drop? My dad & I are talking about trying this. But we also heard the track width was too wide. He has a 51 5 window and we have a 78 chevy front suspension sitting ready to use. Thanks Robert

Last edited by izonme13; 03-02-2010 at 09:50 PM.
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
mobileortho

Pictured are 16x7 Torq Thrust II's with 4" back spacing. Will be switching to 17x7 soon. 2 1/2" dropped spindles with cut coils. Had installed a set of drop coils but it was too low:

1950 3600

Last edited by mobileortho; 03-02-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #19
Steve@OldSub.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchster View Post
I have driven mine.
I am aware of yours but was not when I started my search for completed and driving examples.

In asking questions I had discovered that the guy most often quoted on the Stovebolt as the expert on how it is done had never finished his conversion, and in fact was going back to a straight axle on his. That scared me some because at the time I didn't know anyone who had done this swap and was driving it.

He lives only a few hundred miles from me and I managed to meet him and get a tour of his shop and projects. He has since updated his web page explaining what problems he encountered and why he had abandoned the approach on his own truck.

This is his suspension when I saw the truck.

One time on a road trip I passed a '50 GMC 1-ton with a camper body running down the freeway at about 60 where its posted at 70 and so I didn't look it over very hard. The next day I spotted that same truck in a parking lot in Oregon so I looked it over. It was Cummins powered and had a pickup IFS. No owner around so I didn't get to talk to anyone.

A couple years later I found the same truck at a truck show with a name card in the window. Still couldn't find the owner but managed to take quite a few photos including one of that name card. It took six months more to get from having the owners name to finding him and arranging to meet him only about 100 miles from where I live.

Turns out he is (was) 78 years old and had built the truck 9 years earlier and had driven it tens of thousands of miles since. I liked hearing that he had drive it many miles and figured I'd found my expert.

He had not kept much record of the build and what little he had was old photographs. This was the only one that really showed any of the IFS swap part of his build.

Fortunately he remembered details of the build and I crawled under it with my camera and was able to take pictures and ask questions.

Then I saw him again at another truck show six months later and we've become friends.

Based on his truck and his experience with the finished truck I decided to go ahead with a similar swap on my own project.

Insisting on seeing at least one finished swap that was on the road and working well means I also got to ask a lot of questions about how it was done successfully. Those answers better prepared me to think through how to do my own.

Just a month or so after seeing this truck I met a guy who lives only a couple miles from me who had also done the same swap, but who has not ever quite finished it. Last time I talked to him he had driven it about 20 miles and was still working out bugs.

This is mine back in August.

It hasn't advanced very much because shortly after this picture was taken I was diagnosed with cancer. Beating that has become my priority project and this one has moved pretty slow as a result.

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
wyomech

I helped my brother put a75 frontend under a 50 chevy about 15 years ago we didnt narrow it just put spacers on the frame.he drove it from wyo to arizona and back and I drove it from wyo to newyork and later to south dakota, rode great and handled good ,he sold it in rapid city and I dont know where it ended up at but was a fun truck
wyomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Steve@OldSub.com

Where were all you guys who have done this swap and driven the finished truck when I was looking for examples of it done and working? I must have posted the question on the wrong boards...

Steve@OldSub.com
Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
nightmare_56

anyone know the width of the c10 front form tire mount to tire mount?

also what is the width of the AD frame

Last edited by nightmare_56; 03-03-2010 at 02:52 PM.
nightmare_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Great write-up Steve. And, good luck with the "priority project."
I hadn't thought too much about this kind of mod, mainly I guess because the front clip mod almost seems to make more sense. But, maybe not. Looking at these pics and giving it more thought, this just makes good sense.
But, what are the problems that the stovebolt guy encountered? It looks like it would be a pretty straight forward swap.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
mobileortho

The only problem I've had was having it too low as seen in the previous set of pictures. I had installed a set of 3" dropped coils to go along with the dropped spindles. While it looked great, the scrub line was way too low. The lower control arms were less than 2" off the ground, rendering it unsafe. I switched back to the cut coils. Other than that it drives great!

1950 3600

Last edited by mobileortho; 03-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
winchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
Where were all you guys who have done this swap and driven the finished truck when I was looking for examples of it done and working? I must have posted the question on the wrong boards...
Steve, I was unaware of this forum when I did my swap. I have not been an active member on here until recently. Sorry. If you need anything, let me know, and I am more than willing to share.