The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
jrblanke

New to site, would like a little help pricing this 58 fleetside

Hey guys, My name is James. I have been lurking for a while now and decided to join the board. I introduced myself in the welcome area since I will probably be posting in multiple sections of this message board.

My question is this. I have had my eye on this 58 big back window fleetside for a little while now but am not sure what to offer on it and here are the two reasons why.
  1. The truck does not have a matching numbers drive train but was originaly a 283/auto truck
  2. The truck has a salvage title due to the accident that resulted in the dents een on the pasenger side rear.

It looks like it has some rust in the door, and the winsheild has been busted for about 3 years now, so the dash has been exposed to the elements. I was thinking the truck was worth around $2000. I came up with that number from looking at similar trucks on ebay, as well as what the old car price guide says for a truck in #5 and #6 condition.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am looking forward to learning more on this board.

jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
meter swinger

Re: New to site, would like a little help pricing this 58 fleetside

Welcome to the board james. Juding by the pics i cant tell if the spear is tweaked or not. if it is id say pass on it. Heres why its not that the price is all that bad, but looking at the shape of the bedside that would be near impossible to straighten if the spear is dented or cost lots of$$$$. If the price was less and you needed a parts truck it would be good buy. But to start with it as a build platform might be stretch unless youve got some mad fabrication skills. I say keep looking and try to find a better starting point and youll be ahead in the longrun. Personally i love fleetsides i own one. To answer your question 2k would be about right where i live. If you can get your hands on another bed that might be something to consider. Although a short fleet is hard to come by. As for the drivetrain not being org. I wouldnt worry about it.
Considering everything i still would pass and hold out for something better.
Sam
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
tmoble

Wow, they totaled it for that? Throw that step bumper away, pull the quarter panel on a rack. I'd guess it's very unlikely that the frame is bent in any significant way. Look at the tailgate gap on the right side. It's not hurt much.

Looks like a genuine DeLuxe cab with the big window and chrome trim. Chrome grill and bumper? $$$$ Looks pretty solid too. they pretty much all have a little rust at the bottoms of the front fenders, door and rear cab corners.

Windshields are available cheaper now. For $2K I'd already own that thing.

Last edited by tmoble; 05-30-2011 at 04:40 AM.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
55dude

they totaled it because the 58' vintage. looks like a good start but salvage title makes it worth considerable less amount than one with clean title. does truck run and what shape is the motor/trans in? i would start at 1K and add up parts to get it back on the road.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

You can still find those bedsides. I would jump on that in a heartbeat, carry $2000.00 cash over and I bet you haul it home.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
dicer

Offer them 1500 see what happens.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
jrblanke

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize the bed sheet metal was not reproduced.

The truck ran when the guy parked it, but he said that the wiring is messed up and he is afraid to start it because he doesnt want it to catch on fire?

I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he would like to get 4K. I think at that price he can keep it for now. I might let it stew a bit and go back in a month or so and offer him less with cash in hand.

I did a search on this forum about people's opinions on salavage titles, and it looks like i'll just need to contact my insurance company and local DMV to find out what the deal would be on getting it insured once I built the truck.

Again, thanks for the replies and the welcome.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
meter swinger

Thats to bad he wants that much. Let him sit on it a while and he'll get restless. Some states require inspection from highway patrol to get it on the road again. I would for sure find out first about the title. ive been through that before. That can get difficult.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
tmoble

price the chrome windwing/division bar and door window frame. $600 + right there.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote