The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
55metalmonkey

got my frame back

I just got my frame back from the media blaster last week and started painting it with POR-15, I coated it with the metal ready and waited a couple days for the rinse to dry off. I really dont want this to rust again with all the effort put into this so far

After I started spraying the POR I thought to myself that a rotisserie would be very helpfull, I hate waiting for dry times just to do the other side and then hopeing I can get enough guys to help flip the frame, oddly enough when you have to flip the frame twice for each of the 5 + coats that are going on it it gets harder and harder to convince the guys to come over just for the few minutes it thake to flip a few hundred pounds of steel ... also it makes the whole process longer especialy when you just want to make some progress.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but a couple spare engine stands make a good base for a rotisserie and long as your not moving it in and out of the shop but great for spinning the frame so you can sprayboth sides and into all the tight spots. Now that the POR is on I have to spray the tie coat then the top coat (metalic grafite colour)
Attached Images

55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: got my frame back

Looks good, and your are right about not wanting to move it around on the engine stands but it sure makes things a lot easier and you don't have to call your buddies every time you want to flip it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
55metalmonkey

Ya I find they get tired of showing up once a day for 2 minutes of work
Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Kim57

Looking good.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

More beers you save too! I've never thought of two engine stands holding a frame! That's genius! What did you weld to the frame to hold it to the stand?
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55metalmonkey View Post
Ya I find they get tired of showing up once a day for 2 minutes of work
And don't forget the beer or soda a bunch of friends can consume after 2 minutes of work.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
55metalmonkey

The frame is just held in place with some scrap from around the shop 1/4"x3 bent 90deg on the front and bolted to the front bumper mounts, the rear is the same but not bent and bolted to the top side of the frame. I figured if I bolted them on the same plane ie horizontal that it could shift while spinning.

I wish I could claim all the inginuity for myself, one of the guys was joking around while we were flipping it saying that I'd be calling them to come hold my engine in the air while I painted the bottom then the good idea light came on for all 4 of us at once.... of course I couldn't have thought of it 10 flips earlier lol

one of the retired guys that hangs around the shop said that they used to do that all the time