The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Been waiting for this day :(

So they day finally came when I got a letter from my HOA about my Burb sitting in the driveway. They want me to put it in the garage if I'm not going to be driving it, but my '67 is in there. The '67 is almost done, so I can pull it out and put the burb in the garage (I think it will fit ?? ) Anyway, I've got to get the burb driveable so I can move it around and at least make it look like I drive it sometimes. Problem is, the tranny only goes into reverse. None of the forward gears work. I checked the fluid, and the level looks ok and it doesn't look burnt. So is it rebuild time for the tranny? The HOA says I have one week to get the Burb moved, and school starts this week, so I'm in a real pinch.

On that note, if I have to get it rebuilt, is it better to get one rebuilt or just buy a crate transmission? And does anyone know a good rebuilder in the Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert area?

I also had a question about the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner assembly on the '71. Right now, there isn't an air cleaner assembly on the engine, and the tube is open. When the engine is running, smoke starts pouring out of the tube (not real bad, but like oil on an exhaust pipe.) I don't have that on my '67, and was wondering if it's supposed to do that? Burning oil never seems good lol... And plz pardon my ignorance... I'm still a noob!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: Been waiting for this day :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
So they day finally came when I got a letter from my HOA about my Burb sitting in the driveway. They want me to put it in the garage if I'm not going to be driving it, but my '67 is in there. The '67 is almost done, so I can pull it out and put the burb in the garage (I think it will fit ?? ) Anyway, I've got to get the burb driveable so I can move it around and at least make it look like I drive it sometimes. Problem is, the tranny only goes into reverse. None of the forward gears work. I checked the fluid, and the level looks ok and it doesn't look burnt. So is it rebuild time for the tranny? The HOA says I have one week to get the Burb moved, and school starts this week, so I'm in a real pinch.

On that note, if I have to get it rebuilt, is it better to get one rebuilt or just buy a crate transmission? And does anyone know a good rebuilder in the Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert area?

I also had a question about the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner assembly on the '71. Right now, there isn't an air cleaner assembly on the engine, and the tube is open. When the engine is running, smoke starts pouring out of the tube (not real bad, but like oil on an exhaust pipe.) I don't have that on my '67, and was wondering if it's supposed to do that? Burning oil never seems good lol... And plz pardon my ignorance... I'm still a noob!
You can get all the parts you need to rebuild that tranny for less than 500.00.

It might be a stuck valve body.

I also know TCI sells a pretty good tranny via jegs or summit, for a TH350

They have TCI Sizzler for $655.95 Summit

That would get you going fairly cost effectively.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Thx for the link, guess I gotta get to shopping. Can't really afford it, but WTH, can't take it with ya, right? I found a few used ones on CL, but I don't know enough about transmissions and I would hate to buy a bad one. For that reason, I don't want to try and rebuild it myself. If I had longer to do it, then maybe..

BTW, talked to my neighbors (u might remember the post I made about them giving me some Oakley safety glasses) and they said they would help me push her around and make it look like I had been driving her. They also said they would sign a letter saying they have no problem w/it sitting in the driveway as is. They are friends w/most of the ppl on our street, and were positive they could get everyone else to sign it too. Don't think that will work, but it's always worth a try. They get a +1 in my book.

P.S. how easy is a trans to install?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"

Last edited by Riveted1; 08-23-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

let me make it simple when it comes to used transmissions, here are a few simple rules that you can follow.

1. Never under any circumstances buy a used automatic transmission expecting to use it.
2. Anyone who tells you a used Automatic transmission is in good working order is lieing through thier teeth.
3. Unless you want to buy it, install it, remove it, rebuild it, don't buy a used automatic transmission expecting to use it.
4. If some one tells you that they just had a used automatic transmission rebuilt, they are probably lieing.
5. used automatic transmissions in good working order are like looking for a unicorn.
6. the only used transmission worth buying comes out of a truck you have driven, or that you know was driving.
7. used automatic transmissions usually are no good.
8. Just in case I missed it earlier, anyone selling you a used automatic who tells you there is nothing wrong with it is probably lieing!
9. If you buy a used automatic, you will probably have to rebuild it.
10. Used automatics are usually junk.

Any Questions?

(now ask me how I know this lol!)
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Oh when it comes to installing a trans, it isnt terrible, you need the right jack, it is way harder on a 4x4, but that is because you have to contend with a transfer case.

You will need a tranny jack which is a worth while investment.

If I were in your shoes I would buy the transmission from Summit, or something like that, photocopy the recipt showing that you just paid like 800.00 for parts, and send a letter to the home owners association informing them that the vehicle is not junk, that it is currently awaiting a repair, and that it will not be moved until you have the pieces to repair the faulty transmission.

Inform them that until the parts that have been ordered have all arrived, and you have determined what other parts the vehicle will need, that you will be unable to comply with their request.

It will leave them with out a leg to stand on because they cant call it a junk vehicle if you are ordering parts for it.

Also the letter from your neighbors will be a big help. I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to deceive them, I think honesty is always the best policy.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
let me make it simple when it comes to used transmissions, here are a few simple rules that you can follow.

1. Never under any circumstances buy a used automatic transmission expecting to use it.
2. Anyone who tells you a used Automatic transmission is in good working order is lieing through thier teeth.
3. Unless you want to buy it, install it, remove it, rebuild it, don't buy a used automatic transmission expecting to use it.
4. If some one tells you that they just had a used automatic transmission rebuilt, they are probably lieing.
5. used automatic transmissions in good working order are like looking for a unicorn.
6. the only used transmission worth buying comes out of a truck you have driven, or that you know was driving.
8. Just in case I missed it earlier, anyone selling you a used automatic who tells you there is nothing wrong with it is probably lieing!

Any Questions?

uhhh been there done that and have the shirt to prove it????? RIGHT!!!

Classics make it possible!
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC View Post
uhhh been there done that and have the shirt to prove it????? RIGHT!!!
Shirt, no... I got the closet full man!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Mr. beast remember about the mack that hit me I was told the linkage was loose here is link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=299884 maybe it will help a little

Classics make it possible!
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

That tci from summit looks like a pretty good deal.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Good advice guys. I had pretty much decided to go with one from Summit or Jegs, depending on who's cheaper to my door w/freight. And after what I just read, I know I am. LOL At least I know they are both reputable companies. The only thing that sux is they only give a 90 day warranty. But I guess that's the way it is.

Now if anyone cares.... This is what the HOA rules state: (keep in mind I moved here way before I was into these trucks)

No automobile, truck, or other vehicle, regardless of ownership, age, condition or appearance, shall remain on any residence in any manner with could be construed as being stored, neglected, abandoned or otherwise not in active use.

On the letter they sent, it said they thought I was storing the Suburban.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #11
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

This is why I live in rural Texas, I don't even need a building permit where I live.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
drivethechevy

no problems with summit or jegs but theres cheaper places to get the same stuff, i buy most of my engine parts and suspsion parts from this company here is the link http://www.northernautoparts.com/
service is damn good they usualy have customer service people who really know there stuff and from what ive been buying parts wise there usualy cheapest
i recomend to take a look there before you spend ur hard earned cash on somthing you could have got cheaper

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

^ I didn't see any transmissions on that site.

Ok, so what all do I need for a successful tranny swap? Transmission and fluid (how many quarts?) I know, but any other little things? Gonna order one tonight or tomorrow, so any help is appreciated. I just want to make things go as smooth as possible.

Also, did anyone have an idea about the (heat riser?) I mentioned in my first thread?

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
sleepertruck72

Why dont you try fighting that HOA and maybe buy some time. PUt your plates from your 67 on it and move the truck to the other side of your driveway with some rollers It sounds far fetched but it may buy you enough time. Or make room in the garage for both. Good luck with those clowns !
Old 08-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
therealcurtis

That heat riser is just for pulling in hot air off the outside of the exhaust while the engine is cold. If you're not using the stock air cleaner anymore, you could pull it off without it making any difference.

As far as the smoke, you could have a cracked exhaust manifold, or there could be oil inside (maybe a P.O. thought that was where you put the oil). if you pull it off, it should be pretty obvious what is happening, but I wouldn't throw it away at least not before you get rid of the truck. Just in case you decide you want to put the stock air filter setup back on.

BTW the $600 tranny from summit sounds damn good to me, especially if it has overdrive, the gas mileage difference could end up paying for it.
09 Scion XB
01 Indian Scout
therealcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
^ I didn't see any transmissions on that site.

Ok, so what all do I need for a successful tranny swap? Transmission and fluid (how many quarts?) I know, but any other little things? Gonna order one tonight or tomorrow, so any help is appreciated. I just want to make things go as smooth as possible.

Also, did anyone have an idea about the (heat riser?) I mentioned in my first thread?
don't forget the Torque converter, not all Trans will come with it. You may have to order it separately
Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
don't forget the Torque converter, not all Trans will come with it. You may have to order it separately
Could I use the torque converter that is on the old transmission? Or is that just asking for problems?

Quote:
As far as the smoke, you could have a cracked exhaust manifold, or there could be oil inside (maybe a P.O. thought that was where you put the oil). if you pull it off, it should be pretty obvious what is happening, but I wouldn't throw it away at least not before you get rid of the truck. Just in case you decide you want to put the stock air filter setup back on.

BTW the $600 tranny from summit sounds damn good to me, especially if it has overdrive, the gas mileage difference could end up paying for it.
Ya, guess I just need to get in there and see what is happening. Ugh, this was supposed to be my second project, not my "interrupt my first project, project"!

No overdrive on a TH350

Quote:
Why dont you try fighting that HOA and maybe buy some time. PUt your plates from your 67 on it and move the truck to the other side of your driveway with some rollers It sounds far fetched but it may buy you enough time. Or make room in the garage for both. Good luck with those clowns !
Well, I know I could do some moving around and stuff, but honestly once school starts tomorrow, I have better things to worry about. So I'm just gonna try to get it done next weekend. I think I have the financials worked out. And I'm gonna send those guys a letter and explain to them why it was parked and that I am working to correct the situation. Maybe they'll give me some leeway. I kinda feel picked on b/c it's an older vehicle, b/c there are plenty of newer vehicles around here that are "stored" in the driveway. Only time will tell if those people have to do anything about their cars. I think the HOA is just hurting for money b/c of all of the forclosed houses around here. They're trying to scare up some funds!

I think it's funny, but my neighbor is more pissed than I am that they sent me a letter about the Burb. (He doesn't like the HOA either LOL)

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #18
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

NVM, I got an answer to the torque converter question!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post

Any Questions?

A GOOD used Tranny from a GOOD tranny guy will last for YEARS. On top of that a transmission guy with any testicular fortitude will fix it even if it does go bad. All things break, its just the nature of mechanicals if they are rebuilt right they are just as reliable as new (condsidering most of the guts are new anyway). Just my $.02
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If your burb has legal plates/insurance I'd tell them to F-off.

I park my rides in the same spot everyday. If you go by my place at 6 am and 7 pm it looks like I never left... but I did.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
A GOOD used Tranny from a GOOD tranny guy will last for YEARS. On top of that a transmission guy with any testicular fortitude will fix it even if it does go bad. All things break, its just the nature of mechanicals if they are rebuilt right they are just as reliable as new (condsidering most of the guts are new anyway). Just my $.02
Just to clarify I wasnt refering to a remanufactured transmission from a shop, I was refering to a "used" trany that came out of some ones jalopi.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Gotch...Sorry for the miss understsnding. My brother-in-law runs a tranny shop in Western KY and he rebuilds them all the time and rarely does one come back, when they do he fixes them FOC. I've had a rebuilt in my dirt track car for over a year and its still pulling as hard as ever.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #23
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Gotch...Sorry for the miss understsnding. My brother-in-law runs a tranny shop in Western KY and he rebuilds them all the time and rarely does one come back, when they do he fixes them FOC. I've had a rebuilt in my dirt track car for over a year and its still pulling as hard as ever.
Yeah a deal like that is fine, most of those shops do good work, and stand behind what they do because they want repeat business.

The ones I am refering to are the ones you find in the Ad sack or on Craigslist where they are passing some old pos off as a good working tranny.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
WIDESIDE72

ALWAYS replace the torque converter when replacing the tansmission. If you don't, as soon as you start the truck up, and gunk, clutch bits, etc fromthe old torque converter gets pumped into your new trans. Check the fine print on the trans warranty. You will probably not be covered unless you buy a new TC at time of purchase, for this exact reason. I would talk to people in your area and see who they have used locally. Freight will kill you compared to local pick up. I always say "SUPPORT SMALL LOCAL BUSINESS!!!" As far as HOA's go, unfortunately, you can't tell them to "Go F**** themselves. BAD, BAD move, they will hang you out to dry. They will say you knew the rules when you movedin, and have the law on their side. I would do what I could to get the truck where you can move it. Here in Texas you can get antique plates for ~$50 for 5 yrs, and no safety inspection, so as long as you move it occassionally, who can say that it is "abandoned"? It could be worse, there was an article here in the austin paper yesterday avout a HOA in Frisco (Dallas suburb) where the HOA was on a guy about parking his 2007 F150 Supercrew in the driveway. The HOA said it was OK to park a Lincoln LT (same truck), but not the F150. (My opinion is thaey are trying to keep people form paring "work trucks" in the driveway. The funny thing was, the guy with the F150 mentions that he bought the truck for his 16 (?) y.o. son, so I had a hard time feeling sorry for him. Personally, I live NW of austin in rural Travis Co., outside any city limit, on 4.5 acres, just to sty away from this kind of B.S. ( I currently have the following on the property:

55 Chevy big window p.u
71 Cheyenne 1/2 ton 4x4 lwb rust bucket parts truck
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 future project
72 Chevy Custom 10 SWB step current project
72 loose cab
72 LWB fleetside bed
68 SWB fleet bed
72 SWB fleet bed
72 SWB rolling chassis
68 (?) SWB bare frame
79 Malibu 2dr, 383 stroker, 2004r, 8.5" rear w/ 3.73's, used to be my daily driver-needs paint
82 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd Suburban Solid truck with no motor trans. Tried several times to get rid of it, tried selling complete, parting out, may have to scrap soon
93 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 just swapped in a 97 Vortec 350, Lt4 Hot cam, roller lifters, finishing stages of trailer pulling vehicle
94 GMC 2500 diesel, bought for engine for past project (sold) rolling chassis with cab and bed- need to sell
99 Chevy 1500 XCAB- RUNS AND DRIVES!!!
2006 Cobalt SS 2.4- no mods but a K&N filter and aftermarket 16" wheels
2008 Prius (wifes car, sorry!)
1950 Farmall Super A w/ Woods mower
1967 Ford (Argh) 2000 tractor w/ shredder
The Cobalt, Malibu and Prius are in the garage. Two of the 72's and the '55 are under a shed. No one can say anything about it, except my wife (not a lot, cause she knew what she was getting in to.) I have a small barn big enough for two trucks, but it is full of parts! I need a bigger shop!!!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #25
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I need a bigger shop!!!
You and me both. I am really hoping this next year will be the year I get to get my big shop built finally.