The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
wc63

93 s10 t5

so i found a 93 s10 t5 at a reasonable price. i talked the guy and he said it was a wc. i asked him for the tag id so i could look it up, and sure enough it was a wc. i figured i should jump on it so today i took cash in hand to look at at. SURPRISE! 93 s10's came with a f*rd tranny to bellhousing pattern.WTF! as far as i knew 93 was the perfect year t5 for our trucks (wc plus propper shifter location plus correct bellhousing pattern) this is the first i've heard of the f*rd pattern and it is noticeably different. is this something that an adapter can fix? or should i continue my search? any help or suggestions are appreciated.
thanks in avdvacne.
wc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
impalaboy9

Re: 93 s10 t5

Advance adapters makes a bellhousing for around 300. That is the way I was going to go with the same trans. Otherwise you need to find one out of an astro van that had a manual trans and a 4.3 motor 88-90 something I think. Or the Jeep "Iron Duke" used a pontiac motor and has the right bellhousing for you. Neither of these bellhousings are numerous and I have never found either so I was just going to buy the new one from advanced adapters. I would deff get that t5 checked out at a tranny shop first though. I had a good deal on one as well it spun and went into gears well but I had a guy who knows pop the seal and the internals had been hot from low fluid and it needed to be rebuilt a 1,000 plus job. Good luck!
impalaboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
forcedinduction

The Astro bellhousing has both the NWC and WC bolt patterns on it. Howeve... You will have to drill and tap the holes for the WC to bolt up to it. A 1/2"-13 tap will be the desired size. Then you will have to drill the mounting holes in the trans case as they are for metric bolts.

After that you have to make a 1" spacer plate to go in between the Astro bellhousing and the trans case because the input shaft and throwout bearing housing on a WC is longer than a NWC. The large hole in the middle of the spacer plate needs to be perfectly centered within .008" of center so the input shaft does not have excessive runout.

After that everything should bolt up. Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by forcedinduction; 01-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.
forcedinduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
forcedinduction

If you need more info... Just let me know and I'll do what I can to help.
forcedinduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
wc63

thanks for the info fellas. i was hoping to keep my original bellhousing because i have a 63 gmc and that has a hydraulic clutch. as i had understood, the t5 would bolt up to it as long as i enlarged the wholes on the t5. also, the bellhousing has mounts to support the tranny and these are necessary if your going to run the t5 without a rear cross member, which i was planning on doing. what seemed to be a perfect fit is turning out to be major headache. i assumed there would be an adapter for it but cant seem to find one. i saw an adapter for f*rds-buick (or oldsmobile)with the allen screws that fit flush with the adapter to the housing, then you could place the tranny over them and screw the tranny to the adapter. im not sure why i cant find them for the chevy. i might just continue my search for a pre 93 t5. thanks again folks
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
skidpan

The bell housing you are talking about that resembles a ford pattern is for the small Chevy 60 degree v6. It's the same pattern used in fwd cars, and almost the pattern for a caddy northstar. In fact if you wanted to put a northstar v8 in a rwd configuration, that would be the t5 to have. There is a t5 that would suit your application and have the correct pattern for you, it would be the s10 or astro that came with a 4.3 v6
Posted via Mobile Device
skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
wc63

i think i found a picture of the bell housing your are talking about. its in a hamb thread.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=631765&page=2
but i think the center hole size might be different and additional machining is necessary.
ive also read that jeep bell housings will work. i think this is one of them:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...814050677.html
this might be a reasonable option for me but im not quite sure what is necessary as far as clutch,pplate, flywheel. also would i need to change my hydraulic clutch to mechanic? and if i need to change the fly wheel, i wouldnt know what starter to put in its place. the one in the 305 v6 is pretty big. ive replaced it already and that sucker had some weight. i think someone in the hamb makes adapters for 93 and up s10 t5's. that would be perfect. ill try to contact him. if he peplies ill post his info on this thread. thanks again for the help fellas
Old 01-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
62 mark

The T-5 you have is the first year they changed the bolt pattern i believe. If you are lucky enough you can find a late 80's WC t-5,out of camaros and firebirds. I found a 87 t-5, it will bolt right up to my 235 -6 bellhousing, and has the mechanical speedo. However i will need a tailshaft from a s-10 t-5, with the shifter in the front of the tailshaft,because i am keeping the bench seat.
62 mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
jocko

Interesting. Curious what your tag # was wc63? My T5 is a WC 93 S10 and it is chev bolt pattern. 93 was the first year for a WC in an S10, but 62 mark raises a good point, 93 is the year they changed to a ford pattern - my only question is how far along into the year did they change over?? (I know that's probably something we'll ever know). It is possible the dude changed the tag on you. It is also possible, I guess, that i have an early '93 and yours was later, after the bh bolt patter changed?? It's also possible that mine had a bogus tag on it - but upon inspection it IS a WC T5, it has an S10 tailshaft/housing, etc, and the input shaft was the long type (i.e. it's not an F-body trans) - so it seems to be kosher. Did the trans you were looking at have the tell-tale bearing race for the counter shaft instead of a freeze plug (located in the front of the trans)?

My trans is 1352-232, and it's a 93 S10 WC T5 - but it does have chev bh bolt pattern. Hmmm...

Anyhoo - if the one you found has the ford bolt pattern, I'd punt rather than adapting - that'd be my 2 cents.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
wc63

the tag # is 1352-216. i looked it up before i went to look at it and it checked out. when i saw it, it had the two circles instead of the freeze plug in the front. it also had the 26 spline input shaft. the guy also said it might have been a middle of the year type change so some might be ford and others gm pattern. ive been trying t locate some machinist that may be able to make an adapter. they are both from the hamb. that would be best for me but as it is, im back at square one.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
jocko

You're right, that tag is for an S10, however, 26 spline i/p is normally associated with an F-body spline count. S10 i/p is normally just 14 spline. The plot thickens... However, it's possible that even if this is a tag swaperoo - if it's 26 spline count and is an F-body main case with an S-10 tail housing, you've got the best of both worlds... correct length input shaft (no spacer needed if it's a Camaro main case) and the S10 shifter location. Unfortunately, you still have the problem of Ford bell pattern... Many variables, fishy ID tag, if it were me, I'd walk away. But there are always ways to make it work if you have your heart set on it. Don't think you'll never find another one - one will come along. If you are positive you want a WC and don't want a non-WC, then that may make your decision a bit more difficult, as they are harder to find.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Heater63

Jocko is right but there is nothing fishy- I bought one last year out of state, and was surprised to learn it had the F*rd pattern when it arrived. These were WC T5 used in F bodies, and from 93-96 I believe, they used the F*rd bellhousing pattern. There is an aluminum Jeep bellhousing that adapts SBC/BBC to F*rd tranny pattern, but they are scarce- You can dig on the internet and find the info on Jeep application, but good luck finding one! I finally gave up when I started adding up all the costs involved in trying to rebuild it, change the tailshaft, find bellhousing, etc. I sold mine and bought a brand new TKO-500 that fits my bellhousing. It was $$ more, but its brand new and can take 500 ft/lbs!

You can use that T5, you just need to buy a new steel bellhousing that adapts.