The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
kaysboat

Have my rubber brake hoses collapsed?

I had the front brakes lock up on me on y 1980 Chevy C10 (does not have power brakes, disk on the front, drum on the back). I determined it was a seized caliper (front wheel got very hot, truck pulled slightly to the right and when jacked up, I could hardly sprin the wheel). I decided to do a complete front brake job for good measure. Replaced both calipers, pads, rotors and bearings. Once I was able to loosen seized caliper bolts (HUGE pain) everything went fairly smooth until I went to bleed the brakes. I loosed the bleeder screw, ensured there was enough fluid in the reservoir, and started. However, when I push down on the peddal, it doesn't go to the floor like it should when bleeding new calipers. It's as if I hadn't changed them. Also, the rotor still spins freely. Additionally, when I removed the old caliper, hardly any fluid drained/dripped out of the hose. I ensured the hose to caliper bolt was clean, installed a new copper washer between the caliper and hose end, and yes I removed the plug in the new caliper.

Although I've never had this issue when doing brakes before, from reading a bunch of forums on here, it seems like my rubber brake hose may have collapsed (possibly from moving it around a bit when removing/installing the caliper. I think the hoses are original), but any thoughts?

if so, how hard are those to replace? Where is the other end (non caliper end)? I had a quick look, but couldn't really tell.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
kaysboat is offline   Reply With Quote