The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
brawley
Easy Does It

Rust cover paints??

Im looking at POR15, Rust Bullet or a product called 1 stepRust killer? have any of you guys, used anything like this with good results? I also have a couple of gallons of epoxy primer and wonder if I need any of these products and the epoxy primer? thanks.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Rust cover paints??

We painted the entire chassis of our 1960 with POR-15. This is what the rebuilt 1975 front suspension looked like before it went under the truck. The rest of the chassis looked similar when freshly completed:

And here’s the passenger side frame rail about 10 years later. I haven’t been all that impressed with the results.

It did travel daily over half a mile of crushed rock road before reaching the highway for a 72 mile round trip commute everyday for 9 years, but I really expected it to hold up better. I’ve subsequently done other projects with Zero Rust, and IMHO it holds up better. http://www.zero-rust.com/

About the time we painted the frame, I had the original tailgate powder coated gloss black. It turned out to be a disaster within a year, as major rust formed in numerous areas under the powder paint. I ground off everything as best I could and painted it with PPG DP90 epoxy primer. It looked a bit rough, but it never rusted over the next 8 years and had no other topcoating to protect it.

If you need to protect bare metal from flash rusting, Picklex 20 is unbelievable. http://www.picklex20.com/ I have a GMC grille in my basement that was soda blasted to bare steel and sprayed with Picklex 20 about 6 or 7 years ago. It remains unchanged looking like brand new bare steel. It does however have to remain dry, so it can’t be used on something that will sit outside.

Back in the 80’s I restored a 1946 Ford sedan. When I purchased the car the bottom of the floor was essentially bare metal, with very light surface rust. I painted it with the red rust conversion paint that Eastwood inherited the rights to. I topcoated this with catalyzed acrylic enamel. 8 years and 300,000 miles later it still looked almost like new, with not even a speck of rust. So there is more than one approach that can provide very nice results.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Exactly what are you wanting to paint?

I wouldn't spray one brand of product over the other without consulting the manufacturer about compatability. I've used POR15 with acceptable results. I have also used Rust Bullet once, but it wasn't a fair test since it really wasn't allowed to cure fully and at the proper temp before it went back into service. The epoxy primers that I'm familar with aren't designed to be applied over surfaces that aren properly prepped and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
Im looking at POR15, Rust Bullet or a product called 1 stepRust killer? have any of you guys, used anything like this with good results? I also have a couple of gallons of epoxy primer and wonder if I need any of these products and the epoxy primer? thanks.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

I've used Eastwoods encapsulator (used to be called corlus, or something to that effect)

I've used POR15 as well

The POR15 was ok, but the Eastwood stuff is great! dries satin black (comes silver or red oxide as well)
does not fade or peel the way POR does

I have friends that use it as well, and are happy with it
Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
. I painted it with the red rust conversion paint that Eastwood inherited the rights to. I topcoated this with catalyzed acrylic enamel. 8 years and 300,000 miles later it still looked almost like new, with not even a speck of rust. So there is more than one approach that can provide very nice results.

I should have read the other posts a little better, but thats the stuff!!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

That's the name - I believe it was Corroless. It's been so long I couldn't remember what it was called. I bought it back in the early 80's at a swap meet. I believe the guy I bought it from invented the stuff, and sold it himself at swap meets long before it became better marketed.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
jonathan-m

I've used POR-15 once, but I've had problems with it peeling away in some areas after a few years. I didn't care for it much, and wouldn't buy it again.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
edszuk

I picked up a gallon of zero rust. Couple of my friends swear by it. I'll let you know how it works.
edszuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
wlevick

I like a product called Ospho. It is a "rust inhibitor". The local Ace Hardware has it...it's relatively cheap...and works great.
wlevick is offline   Reply With Quote