The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
osbornl1

starting issues

Truck ran fine before except for intermittent starting issues. Just replaced starter and there was a small click and then nothing. Now truck won't start with either starter in it and u can't even hear fuel pump charge up. Lights work dome light works. The fasten seatbelt light and the check engine light worked after each replacement of the starter but every consecutive attempt at starting after that they stopped working.

I have checked all fuses and they are good. What could it be I need the truck up and running asap to keep making money.

Could I have shorted something out?

89 v3500 454 tbi and 4 speed np205
Posted via Mobile Device
osbornl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: starting issues

Yes, check the fusible link on the firewall. Next to the brake booster area.

Did you wire up the starter correctly? If you can't hear the fuel pump, power is not being supplied properly.

Is the battery fully charged?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
osbornl1

Fuse able link next to booster? Above clutch master cylinder? There's several plugs and a black odd shaped box there?

Yes the battery is charged this was a 30 min swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

It's a black open housing. It has two studs on each end. Wires are attached on either side. Check for power there.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You can see it right above the brake booster in this pic.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
osbornl1

Not really seeing that but I don't have a ohm meter anyway. My buddy is coming over later and is bringing one. So when I put the new starter on there is three wires. One is a battery cable and there is a second smaller gauge wire on the same terminal. And there is a third wire a brown one on a second terminal. I don't know what the other two are for but I wonder if I shorted out my ignition/keyed switch because as mentioned nothing happens when I turn my key but I have a dome light headlights hazards.

I would post pictures but I can't from my iPhone. Anyone willing to pm me their number maybe I can text a few pictures to help I'd some things?

Larry
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The Purple wire going to the starter is the starter activation wire - and it has to go to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid. Just to make sure that everything is wired up correctly on the starter, jump the purple wire to the big battery cable coming in from the battery. You can use a screwdriver or a small piece of wire to jump across the two terminals. This will activate the starter no matter what (so make sure it is in neutral) - if it works you know the starter and it's wiring are correct.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
osbornl1

Ok so ignore my last post. For some reason the picture didn't load right. I found it and fiddled with the wires making sure they were tight. Tried to start it again and there was about 5 secs of clicking as well as the dash lights on and the wipers working and the fan motor on and then it all went off again.

Is there a part number for this thing? I need to get it first thing tomorrow and swap it out I have firewood to deliver.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
osbornl1

Also traced some wires down. From the starter the purple wire is in the correct spot then on the main post of the starter there is the hot wire from the battery and also another red wire.

I can jump the starter and it starts but still nothing at the key. Even the gauges don't move when I turn the key on. Could the ignition switch be bad? Where's it located at in the column or down on the firewall. Tomorrow morning I'm going to get a fuseable link and a ignition switch.

Anymore advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help

Larry
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Check the neutral safety switch. It's at the lower portion of the steering column. Do you have tilt steering? If so, the switch is more prone to needing adjustments. On my truck, if the tilt is up completely, it will not crank! One more quirk to keep someone from stealing it.

The red wire provides power to fuse box/links. It should have power going through it. I can't remember where it should be located. If it has a big eye on the end, put on the starter battery terminal.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
chevy-fun

can you tell me more about the fusible link, where do the wires go. I have no power on either bolt on fusible link.

my truck died while driving. Battery is good 12.3v. I HAVE front lights an horn. NO blinker, hazard, brake lights, dash light. Also my external fuel pump does not come on when key is turned to on. Key does nothing
chevy-fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
chevy-fun

????
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
chevy-fun

got it fixed. turns out a wire from the post on firewall to starter burnt an snapped in half. also the starter clutch was no good. thank goodness for life-time warranty. replaced that an $15 for some new 10g hot wire an terminals from starter to firewall. hope this helps anyone who comes across the same thing
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Sabaka454

Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the starter? Did you replace the fusible link with another fusible link?
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
chevy-fun

The battery had been disconnected since I had it towed to house. The wire I replaced didnt have a fusible link. So i just used a straight wire from starter to that post. There was another wire on that post that does have a fusible link, an that one goes from there to fuse panel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device