The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2024, 03:37 PM   #1
Ramiro0727

Battery Isolator

I have a 69 Chevy C10. I added a accuair air ride system. I'm going with a dual battery setup. The batteries are behind the cab mounted on the frame. I'm trying where is a good place to mount the battery isolator. To keep it from.getting wet. If I mount it on the frame as well. Trying to keep the battery cables from.the isolator to the batteries short. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,
Ramiro
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 08:08 PM   #2
PbFut

Re: Battery Isolator

Manual or electronic switch? Isolating what? Charging system, or suspension motors.
If you want to isolate the aux batteries from truck, you may want to wire like a oem aux rv battery. I am not familiar with these systems. When do you need to isolate? With a bit of planning you should be able to use a high amp relay or solenoid to do what you need electrically. My RV battery mimics OE option and only connects to the truck system in run position. Battery is isolated in all other states. Protects truck battery from draining while camping. Also isolates during start protecting from back feed and popping the fuse link
PbFut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #3
Orange Crate

I have had this one under the hood in my other 4X4 (dual battery sys) for probably 15 years. Never had any issues, it just works. Check out their site, they have a couple of different options with wiring diagrams.

https://www.hellroaring.com/bic95150B.php
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #4
Ramiro0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
Manual or electronic switch? Isolating what? Charging system, or suspension motors.
If you want to isolate the aux batteries from truck, you may want to wire like a oem aux rv battery. I am not familiar with these systems. When do you need to isolate? With a bit of planning you should be able to use a high amp relay or solenoid to do what you need electrically. My RV battery mimics OE option and only connects to the truck system in run position. Battery is isolated in all other states. Protects truck battery from draining while camping. Also isolates during start protecting from back feed and popping the fuse link
PBFut for the charging system. It's a manual switch I believe. It's a Stinger Isolator.

Ramiro
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #5
mr48chev

A lot of motor homes just use a continuous duty solenoid as the battery isolator for the coach batteries.

The ones I worked had the trigger wire wired through the ignition switch with a toggle switch in between so they could only be engaged when the key was in the run position. The toggle switch was so you didn't have to charge them if you didn't want to. A good Cole -Herse solenoid runs between 30 and 40 dollars depending on where you buy it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:04 AM   #6
PbFut

This is my idea with full disclosure, I have zero employment field experience on this subject. To me, it is a simple use case as follows.
1 Aux Batteries need connection to truck system solely to charge.
2 Batteries will provide very high amp service for short term to bag motors.
3 best practice would be to isolate aux batteries from truck system in off, start, and suspension adjustment periods to prevent back feed and high amp forward feed to protect charge curcuit.
This can be accomplished with a 1 high amp and 1 low amp standard relay as follows.
1 set up your bag system as normal to the aux batteries.
2 use a normally open high amp relay switching a fuse link or fuse protected line from truck system to positive aux battery terminal. A 10 or 8 guage wire is plenty capable. I like fuse links and are easy to learn how they work. Control the relay with a run only source.
Here's the important part. Add a standard relay in the control line. Use a normally closed relay. This allows the high amp relay to work only in the run position. Connect the control line of this second relay to the air bag system power running the motors This will interrupt the control lead to the high amp relay, isolating the batteries while you are running the bag motors.
Doing this second relay protects the truck system and charging line if the aux batteries are low and the motors try to pull high amp power from the truck.
I hope this all makes sense. Wiring in this manner will completely eliminate any manual switching of the charge curcuit.
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #7
PbFut

I think these will work
High amp.
True Mods 12V DC 120 Amp Split Charge Relay Switch - 4 Terminal Relays for Truck Boat Marine https://a.co/d/2dCPbbS
Low amp but still very high for this use can use much lower without issue
ZAHUO123 Car Universal Transparent Relay 12V 5 Foot 80A Car Waterproof with Indicator Light Relay for Car Modification Special Relay Durable(2Pcs) https://a.co/d/5nht1yK