The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
juiceman650

seat pics!

Alright fellas, I'm at the point where i don't know whether I should get my original bench seat reupholstered or if i should make the switch to something newer. I wanna see pictures of your seats, please provide details as to what vehicle they are from, if they slide back and forward, if the recline, and if what modifications you had to do to make em fit! Thanks a lot to anyone who participates in advance! Oh yeah, and my truck is a regular cab 75 Silverado.
Posted via Mobile Device
aka "The Beast" aka "Cheyerado"
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
Kerlijah

Re: seat pics!

I picked up some seats out of a late 90's suburban last week, they're real nice! Kinda beat up, but hey, for 40 bucks, I aint complainin! They're leather, full power, lumbar support, center console, the whole nine yards! It was kind of a pain to make em work in my '79, but if you've got access to a welder and some flat metal strips, or even square tubing, it's totally worth it...

My buddy and I got em done, only took a couple evenings after work. Would have only taken one night, but we were super tired the first night and just not really thinking straight, so we measured wrong, had to redo stuff the second night, lol. The finished product is great though!! Basically, we used some flat metal that we had lyin around the shop, my buddy welded up a rectangular frame, with cross members, spaced so that they lined up with the seat bases. Then we just welded on some tabs and bolted the custom frame right in the stock bolt holes. We had to cut probably 4 or 5 inches (give or take) off the bottom of the seat bases to make them low enough, and then we welded the seats to the frame..pretty simple actually, as long as you measure everything right to begin with

Anyway, there's one option for ya! Good luck
Attached Images

1979 C10 SWB, shaved bed rails, drip rails, tailgate handle. 350 w/ Comp cam, hydraulic lifters, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, Flowtech headers, Flowmaster 40s, turbo 350 w/stage 2 shift kit...so much fun!

Kerlijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
juiceman650

Oh man, those are REALLY nice! My dad does iron works for a living so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to make a custom mounting frame. So those were the front seats out of the Burban?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

from an 89 burb,work as they should
just had to drill more holes
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
scottofksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman650 View Post
Oh man, those are REALLY nice! My dad does iron works for a living so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to make a custom mounting frame. So those were the front seats out of the Burban?
Posted via Mobile Device
88-98 Chevy Truck too...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Big Blue

Hi Kerlijah, Nice work on the frame. Can you give the measurement or a write up on what you did? I might want to do the same thing.

John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Stepper86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlijah View Post
I picked up some seats out of a late 90's suburban last week, they're real nice! Kinda beat up, but hey, for 40 bucks, I aint complainin! They're leather, full power, lumbar support, center console, the whole nine yards! It was kind of a pain to make em work in my '79, but if you've got access to a welder and some flat metal strips, or even square tubing, it's totally worth it...

My buddy and I got em done, only took a couple evenings after work. Would have only taken one night, but we were super tired the first night and just not really thinking straight, so we measured wrong, had to redo stuff the second night, lol. The finished product is great though!! Basically, we used some flat metal that we had lyin around the shop, my buddy welded up a rectangular frame, with cross members, spaced so that they lined up with the seat bases. Then we just welded on some tabs and bolted the custom frame right in the stock bolt holes. We had to cut probably 4 or 5 inches (give or take) off the bottom of the seat bases to make them low enough, and then we welded the seats to the frame..pretty simple actually, as long as you measure everything right to begin with

Anyway, there's one option for ya! Good luck
Perfect! I have toyed with this idea myself, but didnīt want to spend any money on it since the seats I can get costs alot more than 40$ and I was not sure it would work with the height of those seats.
Now since someone else took the risk, I can do it without upseting the wife by spending money on something that might not work
Thanks for the write up, those seats look right at home in your truck. Nice work.
1986 C-10 Stepside (project "my time")
1992 Corvette cab (summer time daily driver)
1969 Cadilac DeVille Cab ("it just need some paint")
Stepper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #8

[IMG][/IMG]

I have since removed the mossy oak steering wheel cover and replaced it with a plain black cover until I get my Grant wheel installed. Seats and console are from a 91 Burb. Bolt in.

1984 GMC Sierra Classic-1/2 ton-SWB (R.I.P.)
1986 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
2014 GMC Sierra LTZ Z-71 Crew SWB
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
homemade87

I used a seat out of a early 90's truck. I like this seat because its not so thick in the back rest area. I have long legs. Was not to bad to mount. All I did was use the original track and screwed it right to the rear of the seat to match the bolt patern. The front had to be blocked up 1-/2". I used a piece of wood and screwed it to the seat and mounted the track to it. It only took about a hour to do and worked fine. I dont have pictures of the process but here is a finished picture.
Attached Images

homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
juiceman650

I like what Im seeing so far, hopefully I'll be able to go to some yards soon and see what they have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
84chevyguyid

I recently did a 60/40 cloth seat from a 97 chevy extended cab. I used some 80's suburban bucket seat brackets and they went in pretty easy. They are nice seats
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Kerlijah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Hi Kerlijah, Nice work on the frame. Can you give the measurement or a write up on what you did? I might want to do the same thing.

John
Thanks John, I'm really happy with how the whole setup turned out!! I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but I'll try to get those for you as soon as I can. I've been meaning to start a build thread for my truck, but between work all day and building trucks most of the night, I havent had a chance to sit down and put all my pictures and info together!! My buddy and I are building my truck and his '80 swb 4x4 at the same time trying to get em both done by summer, so the last several weeks have been INSANE!!
1979 C10 SWB, shaved bed rails, drip rails, tailgate handle. 350 w/ Comp cam, hydraulic lifters, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, Flowtech headers, Flowmaster 40s, turbo 350 w/stage 2 shift kit...so much fun!

Kerlijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
shadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
from an 89 burb,work as they should
just had to drill more holes
Dude, is that a Miniature Pinchwawa?

Not baggin on your dog, he/she looks fun!

Nice seat BTW, I dont care for old trucks with newer buckets in them....

I'll have to post up a pic of mine, stock seat that I had redone in charcoal pleather with some nice stitching...
shadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

nope,but we get asked that tho,and about cutting the tail....
he's a spoiled ball of fun, yup
he knows the sound of the truck....wife says he goes nuts before she hears it
mind you it wasn't always like this,he's only two lol
his Mother/Father/3 bros all in the family
he's beside the AA batt
his first and last burb drive
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote