The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
MKBreadfan

Chassis/Suspension Mods on a Budget

Got my 67 nearly down to the frame finally. I'm looking to do some fairly common mods/upgrades, but my main concern is my budget. I'm wanting to do gas tank behind axle, add disc brakes, and add power steering. As far as a drop goes, I'm wanting an old school rake, probably with stock height in rear and a 2'' drop in front.

My budget is about $1500. I know thats a tall order. After shopping around, I'm almost certain theres no way I'm going to accomplish my goals without going flat broke if I were to purchase all new parts from say ECE or CPP.

So inevitably I must turn to the good ol' local wrecking yard. In my part of TX there is an overabundance of Chevy trucks spending their final days in the boneyard, particularly the 73-87 models. I know that many of the suspension parts are swapable, and that tanks from either Suburbans or Blazers will work for our trucks, as will the PS pumps and gearboxes with some adapting

I'm sure that someone has done this before (and probably on a tighter budget) so I'm humbly asking for advice before heading out to the yard.
What parts do I need to pull for a disc brake conversion? Which parts are best bought new?

Which tanks are the best fit for the price?
MKBreadfan is offline   Reply With Quote