The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
bigwavedv1971

Please help me find our old GMC 58 or 59

I just signed up for this board- hello to all! I have been hunting for my great Uncle's GMC that was the farm truck forever. When he passed in 1995 it was sold. I have wanted it ever since. It lived in Longmont, Colorado from at least the 70's on up, and was sold there. I believe it had two owners after and then it is unknown. My uncles name was Alvin Koch. It was, I think, a 58 or 59 teal colored LONG bed two wheel drive with white wooden "cattle" racks on the sides of the bed at the time. I can't believe we are missing the VIN number but I cannot find it. Pictures possible but amazingly most of that stuff is gone. I can identify it, if it is still in similar condition. THANK YOU for any info or correspondence!! Dave
bigwavedv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Please help me find our old GMC 58 or 59

If you have any old registration information, or even a photo with a license plate number you have a start. I do not know about CO but here if it was registered or titled in ID they can trace it up to the time it was titled or licensed in another State. If you can find a local DMV person, they might even be able to search by your family members name. Good luck with the search.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
SCHRUMGMC

I'd like to see some photos of the truck, the story on how I found my Pawpaws '59 Gmc is an amazing one but it still surprises me today that I have it and in all Original condition

If you can find me the VIN, send it to me and I can find where its at

Good Luck man
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
mr48chev

If you had the vin you might be able to carfax the truck (if they cover vehicles that old) and at least find if it still is in the system.

Remember that the privacy act has pretty straight forward rules on what info you can get and what info the state can give out concerning who owns a vehicle. And the last thing anyone wants is some clown showing up on his doorstep wanting to buy his great uncle's old truck back unless he has been contacted through proper channels first.

Having someone remember where they saw the truck sitting and telling where it is or seeing it running down the road and telling you where they saw it is ok though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
OrrieG

Carfax only works on "modern" 16 (?) digit VINs IF they are registered in the system.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I think you can trace the owner records backwards if you find the truck, but not forward to present time to find the truck now. Like mr48chev said, privacy laws.
If Papa Johns Pizza founder/owner had to offer a $250,000 reward to find his Camaro, I'd say regular guys like us are gonna have a tough time.
http://ir.papajohns.com/releasedetai...leaseID=404954

Oh, and....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
bigwavedv1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
If you have any old registration information, or even a photo with a license plate number you have a start. I do not know about CO but here if it was registered or titled in ID they can trace it up to the time it was titled or licensed in another State. If you can find a local DMV person, they might even be able to search by your family members name. Good luck with the search.
Thank you!! Sometimes there is a very friendly DMV person I will hope to find that they will help. Calling has me at a dead end. Thank you for the reply!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
bigwavedv1971

Wow I did not see all of the other replies! Not sure why. Thank you all very much. I am hunting down the VIN or at least the plate number. Its amazing that those records are gone in such a "short" time. I will be updating. Thank you!