The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Front Brake Rattle - ARGGGGHHHH!!!

First off - it's great to be back around again. Life has been pretty busy, and I have had very little time to snoop around. But finally I am driven back by necessity - a good thing (I guess).

Problem - Loose (rattling) inner brake pad on the driver's side front wheel.

Last year I did a fairly complete front brake job replacing everything except the rotors - they still were fine at that time.

Recently, a squeak along with a rattle developed on the left side. I checked it and found the brake pads to be loose and badly unevenly worn from front to back. The rotor seemed slightly warped, so I have now replaced the rotors as well as installed new pads.

Inner pad is still loose and rattle is still there. The inner pad is riding flush with the rotor (no visible gap), but I can push on the pad "tabs" down and it slides back and forth along the face of the rotor - causing the "tabs" to rattle against the caliper body.

So what is going on here? Is the caliper loosening off too much or applying uneven pressure? The retainer clip (inside the caliper piston, holding the inner pad) was not replaced. Could this clip be too loose? Am I missing some hardware?

Below are a couple of photos showing the installation and the area where I can move the pad.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW - it's great to be "home".
Attached Images

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

Re: Front Brake Rattle - ARGGGGHHHH!!!

It looks like that you haven't seated the pads yet. Have you drove it and stomped on the the pedal a few times? Can you hear it rattle when you apply the brakes or something?

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

What do you mean by rattling? Is it like a vibration or squeeling or just plain sound like they're loose?

I agree with the break in but I wouldn't necessarily stomp on them. From the pics, it looks like your rotors are still fairly new. You can still see the polishing marks. This could cause a vibration on the brakes for some time until they're completely broken in.

If they're just loose in there, it could be you are missing some springs that hold them in place.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

this might be a dumb question but are you sure they are the right pads? how does the bolts/bolt holes on the spindle itslef look? the rotors straight possibly warped off center??

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Luvlegs

I'd check the spring clip inside the piston that holds the pad against it.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the quick responses. Here's my answers to your questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydog66 View Post
It looks like that you haven't seated the pads yet. Have you drove it and stomped on the the pedal a few times? Can you hear it rattle when you apply the brakes or something?
I have driven it quite a ways, and hit the brakes pretty good. It brakes well and the right side is quiet. The rattle does go away once I press the pedal enough to start slowing, and since the pad is loose, I assume that's what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
What do you mean by rattling? Is it like a vibration or squeeling or just plain sound like they're loose?
It is a loose rattle every time I hit a small bump or crack in the road. The rattle was definitely worse when the old pads (which were looser) were still in service.

Quote:
I agree with the break in but I wouldn't necessarily stomp on them. From the pics, it looks like your rotors are still fairly new. You can still see the polishing marks. This could cause a vibration on the brakes for some time until they're completely broken in.
The rotors are brand new and they appear to run true. Like I said above it is definitely a rattle and not a vibration under braking.

Quote:
If they're just loose in there, it could be you are missing some springs that hold them in place.
I believe the only spring is the one inside the piston - which I assume may be too loose. The outer face of the pad has the shim rivetted on (as opposed to clipped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10s69c10 View Post
this might be a dumb question but are you sure they are the right pads? how does the bolts/bolt holes on the spindle itslef look? the rotors straight possibly warped off center??
I'm pretty sure the pads are right since the right side is operating perfectly. Everything else appears good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlegs View Post
I'd check the spring clip inside the piston that holds the pad against it.
Yeah, maybe I should look at replacing these.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Zilverado; 08-27-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
67shortie
Green club

I think mine does this too, on the drivers side. When I hit ruts, small bumps in the road I get rattling.

When the brakes are applied it goes away so it's time to pull the wheels.

Good luck to you finding the solution

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln

Last edited by 67shortie; 08-28-2008 at 01:07 PM.
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Do you have the brake pad clip on the inside pad?

This should be clipped to the inner pad and then this clip (with pad attached) should fit tightly within the piston on the caliper. This keeps the pad from rattling around.

These spring clips do wear out and loose they "springiness" so you might need to replace them. Good luck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Do you have the brake pad clip on the inside pad?

This should be clipped to the inner pad and then this clip (with pad attached) should fit tightly within the piston on the caliper. This keeps the pad from rattling around.

These spring clips do wear out and loose they "springiness" so you might need to replace them. Good luck.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I would venture that these are missing and will solve your problems.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
jkaylor68gmc

Are there not two sizes of rotor, the hd and the standard. Isn't the HD rotor 1 1/4. Could he have pads for one and a different rotor???
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
I was going to suggest the same thing. I would venture that these are missing and will solve your problems.
Shawn
Yes, this is the "retainer clip" I was refering to. I have these, but they are old, and rusty, and quite possibly worn. So my plan now is to replace them with new (to be done tomorrow), and see how things work.

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaylor68gmc View Post
Are there not two sizes of rotor, the hd and the standard. Isn't the HD rotor 1 1/4. Could he have pads for one and a different rotor???
Yes I am aware of the 2 different sizes. The original rotors were 1" and that's what I purchased this time around as well. The pads I got were the ones listed for these rotors (at least according to the parts store). The pads also looked exactly the same as the original equipment, so I am pretty sure everything is right.

Hopefully the new pad retainer clips will do the trick...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
don t. - 72gmc

If the retainer clips are not really rusty, maybe you can bend them out just a bit.

I've never used it, but sometimes when you get new front pads they put some blue goop in a tube. Poke the tube, spread on the back of the pad, makes kinda like a gasket/noise supression type of thing.

HTH....good luck.....don t. .....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Yeah, i guess I could try the "bending" thing, but for less than $3 ea. I think I'll just replace them.

As for the "goop-in-a-tube", I tend to use brake caliper lubricant on the moving parts (bushings, bolts, etc.) but that's about it.

I just hope the new retainer clips will do the deed - I'm feeling confident.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
Luvlegs

MAKE SURE you post up if that was it - it's killling me... just once, I'd like to post "He Shoots, He Scores!"

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Senator350

uneven brake pad wear... the first thing that jumps to mind is a frozen caliper pin. check that your caliper pins are both well lubed (copper or silver anti-seeze)
Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator350 View Post
uneven brake pad wear... the first thing that jumps to mind is a frozen caliper pin. check that your caliper pins are both well lubed (copper or silver anti-seeze)
This can happen too but don't use anti-seeze as I have seen it cause a reaction with the rubber o-ring and cause them to swell. They make disc brake pin lube specifically for this use. It doesn't have the possible reaction with the o-rings.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #18
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlegs View Post
MAKE SURE you post up if that was it - it's killling me... just once, I'd like to post "He Shoots, He Scores!"
I'll be sure to let you all know. I expect to be doing this repair sometime Friday night or saturday, so I should know soon.

Check back...
Old 08-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
...They make disc brake pin lube specifically for this use. It doesn't have the possible reaction with the o-rings.
If by caliper "pins" you are referring to the 2 long allen-head bolts that hold the callpers in place, yes I lubed these up. I used the purpose made brake lube that comes in a tube. I don't think these are binding.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The Goop mentioned above is anti-rattle compound.It doesn't seem like it would make much difference but it does.I would get some of it and use it when replacing the retainer springs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote