The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
azsmokey

1972 K-10 build questions

Well, we finally got our donor truck, a 2003 Silverado SS with under 20k. Our plans include transplanting the 6.0L, 4L80E, interior parts and other miscellaneous items.

A few questions:

1. We have entertained the option of using an electronic shift transfer case. What options are out there, that have some level of reliability. I have found the NP243. Are there others that will work in this application?

2. The doors on this truck have the wing/vent windows. Can I remove the vent section and replace the door glass with a solid piece or do I have to replace the entire door?

3. To keep costs down, we have opted to keep the 12 bolt rear and Dana 44 front. Is there anyone that makes a front and rear disc brake kit? I have only found a front brake kit for that truck as it is a 4x4. There are a number of brake kits for the 2wd trucks...

4. Are there companies that make a winch bumper for 72? I am not able to find one. There are ample models for 80+ Chevy trucks. How different are the front frame dimensions on the later model Chevy trucks than the 72? Are they at all compatible or close enough that they could be modified to fit? I would like to research both types of winch bumpers, both external mount and hidden winch mount. I dont know which would look best on the truck yet.

5. I see a lot of trucks that have had the drip rail removed. I really like the clean lines of the truck when it is removed. How difficult is it to remove the rail? What is entailed in its removal?

6. I would like to use as much of the 2003 parts as possible. Can I adapt the factory gauge cluster? The HVAC controls? Stereo head unit? Steering column with steering wheel? (Airbag removed of course..) I would like a tilt steering column in the build up. Has anyone tried to use a late model column in this type of truck. Are they compatible? Would I have to use the steering rack etc... from the 03?

7. I would like to use a 4-6 inch lift for this build and use 33-35 inch tires on 18 inch wheels. This truck's ride was nothing short of rough in OEM form. This is to be expected from a truck with solid axles and leaf spring suspension. Is there a setup that can be used on 4x4 trucks with a lift that will ease the ride? I have seen 4 link systems and trailing arm setup's, as well as coil-over's, however these have only been listed for 2wd trucks. What are some options for suspension upgrades to this vehicle with a lift?

I think that is enough questions for now. I appreciate any information and advice that can be given. Thanks!
azsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: 1972 K-10 build questions

2. The doors on this truck have the wing/vent windows. Can I remove the vent section and replace the door glass with a solid piece or do I have to replace the entire door?

There are kits to remove the vent window. Because of the shape of the door, you do have a metal triangle at the lower front corner of the window frame.

3. To keep costs down, we have opted to keep the 12 bolt rear and Dana 44 front. Is there anyone that makes a front and rear disc brake kit? I have only found a front brake kit for that truck as it is a 4x4. There are a number of brake kits for the 2wd trucks...

Check with boardmember drinks2many I think with Blackbird Customs as they have various 4x4 disk brake kits.

4. Are there companies that make a winch bumper for 72? I am not able to find one. There are ample models for 80+ Chevy trucks. How different are the front frame dimensions on the later model Chevy trucks than the 72? Are they at all compatible or close enough that they could be modified to fit? I would like to research both types of winch bumpers, both external mount and hidden winch mount. I dont know which would look best on the truck yet.

The frame is the same width, the 73-up body is flat whereas ours point out in the middle so if you use one of the new bumpers you have to set it out a little forward. KMA makes a bumper but they have a pretty bad reputation.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
msgross

CPP makes some as well... with all that customization why not go Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear to handle the power? Watch out for the transfer cases that have a driver side driveshaft unless you find a ford axle...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
dinotruck68

Brothers has a kit for the 1 peice glass window ur looking for

vtblazer has a winch setup on the regular front bumber on his rig looks pretty cool.

18's look a little to big even with 35's, besides its cheaper to use smaller wheels.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
vtblazer

For the elec. controlled tranny/T-case, you could use one of several stand alone comps. that are on the market currently.

Isn't the SS an "all wheel drive" set up?
My understanding is that it doesn't have a Hi/Low, only 4wd.

This is a huge undertaking!
Are you up to the task, experience and monetarily wise?

Only asking cause your new to the board. (welcome BTW)
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
boostat4500

1. I'd highly recomend against the electronic T-case. I started with a NP246 in mine cause it came with the motor and tranny. The problem with them is that there is no true 2 wheel drive. The front drive shaft is always powered. I finally swapped in a NP261 yesterday and wish I'd done it right from the start.
Just my .02
Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
azsmokey

Is there any way to use the NP 261 without having the shifter sticking out through the floor? We are in the process of building a center console and really did not want to have the shifter there... If we must then I guess we must... I really did want to have an electric shift in this build. Are there any other options, other than the 246, that offer an electric shift?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
boostat4500

I'm planning on just hooking up some linkage under the hood somewhere. Since I have to get out to lock the hubs anyway, it's no big deal to pop the hood. Then I don't have to cut a hole in the floor after just getting done filling in the stock one. I don't know of any other electric shift t-case's that might work. The problem is I think they are all going to be full time 4x4. It can be used, just make sure you get the driveline angle just right and keep in mind that these axles weren't designed for it.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
azsmokey

What should I do, if I use the elec t-case, to ensure that everything will run, and stay running correctly. We will use a 4 or 6 inch lift on the truck. We are going to keep the stock front D44 and rear 12 bolt. Our intent is to rebuild them with new components. Any ideas for durability and longevity? What else should I be aware of?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
Chevy1TonFun
Grease Monkey

5. I see a lot of trucks that have had the drip rail removed. I really like the clean lines of the truck when it is removed. How difficult is it to remove the rail? What is entailed in its removal?

I would say it takes a lot of patience. I would start with a cutting torch and then finish it of with a body grinder to smooth it out.

7. I would like to use a 4-6 inch lift for this build and use 33-35 inch tires on 18 inch wheels. This truck's ride was nothing short of rough in OEM form. This is to be expected from a truck with solid axles and leaf spring suspension. Is there a setup that can be used on 4x4 trucks with a lift that will ease the ride? I have seen 4 link systems and trailing arm setup's, as well as coil-over's, however these have only been listed for 2wd trucks. What are some options for suspension upgrades to this vehicle with a lift?

You could go with an air suspension. Lift it and bag it. I know there are lots of shops in Cali that will do it. If you are looking for tips you might try to call Reaper Customs in Fresno, CA. 559-291-2900
FOR SALE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ton-4x4&cat=12
Chevy1TonFun is offline   Reply With Quote