The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
hAetWagon
Schlongbed MEMBER (heh)#15

Honest,Educated Opinions Please; Wyotech\tradeschool

Hey guys,
I can see why some would think this is the wrong place but I couldn't think of a a better place to ask to be honest.
I spent 6 years as a machinist, 2 as a plumber, and 8 in sales (there's some overlap in there)

I've tried to make it in white collar and have, but I'm miserable.
When I was selling cars I always felt like I belonged in the shop.
I still feel that way and am pursuing it.
Here in CA (and in other major metropolitan markets) there's a trade school called WYOTECH. There automotive technology program is 9 months, 9 hrs a day, mon-fri. Their collision program is the same.
I am leaning towards taking the collision program.

I am also looking at UTI,the United states Coast Guard, and the Marine Corps.
UTI seems to have more manufacturer specific auto tech programs that may seem to be more desirable. But I'm looking at collision.

I'm considering the military because well, frankly I can either pay to get training or get paid to get training.
I could really use some honest firsthand experience if there is any.

"Old truck, all new headaches."
hAetWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: Honest,Educated Opinions Please; Wyotech\tradeschool

Check this out. This is where I went for Instrumentation. Its a hands on career, but not back breaking. You need to be able to troubleshoot equipment. Any place that uses equipment to measure something needs an instrument tech. The possibilities are endless.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
70 Suburban
Rods

Well I have allot to say in this. I gradumanted from UTI. Both collision (Toyota, and customs) Also took auto, diesel, industrial and transport refer. I was there for almost 3 and 1/2 years. from them I am Platinum I-car. Ase master tech auto and diesel. I have had the pleasure of working in Penske's corporate from this education. I have had the opportunity to work in a simi white color position in the oil filed. (hated it) and now a service supervisor for Mack truck. I like what I do and think you will get out of it what you put in. you slack off then thats what you will get. You work hard in class and lab. It will show. I know that a good friend of mine went to school at a major college for Business started in the field at 35k. My fist job was salary at 42k and has only gone up from there. (cost of living here is alto lower than CA) example I can get 3000 sq ft home on coldasac good hood for about 125k-150k

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1971 Blazer 4wd....restore someday. all factory CST
1972 Blazer 4wd parts truck still a roller
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
2005 F**D the wife drive...(cant fix women)

Last edited by 70 Suburban; 05-19-2009 at 05:37 PM.
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
70 Suburban
Rods

now for the second half of that. If it was not for the military I would not have had the discipline of the funds to do it. I think you will not have a better opportunity to see the world then the military. Ask your friends that were in the military what there jobs were. Try to score a job that will let you travel.If you want to be a tech then do it after. It will not impact your education at uti (plug) Take some classes while in the core, You can come out with a degree and be ahead of allot of people. BTW I was an 8404-000 Hospital corpsman with the Marines

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
steverino66

my 2¢-
If you talk to a military recruiter, don't accept anything you don't have in writing.
I spent 4 years in the AF, wouldn't trade the experience for anything but probably wouldn't choose it again.
I'd do Wyotech if you can swing it.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

If you know anybody who was in the miltary take them with you. Say they are your uncle, brother I don't care.

Recruiters will say what needs to be said to get you to sign. Remember that is their temporary assignment for aproximately 2years and well they like their assignment and want to keep it.

I went with a buddy of mine as a interested party and never mentioned that I was previous elisted for 6years and man this guy told my buddy everything under the sun to get him to sign.

As far as making sure its in writing? Good luck holding up that with the miltary. You going to sue them? In the end you are literally Military Property.

I as well wouldn't trade my 6years experience for anything else, but honestly If I knew now what I didn't know then I would of done things way different, but thats another chapter all together.

If I could do Wyotech I would as well. I love cars, trucks, bikes anything more or less road worthty. Never got interested in the planes and boats.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
BMSJaX

I attended and graduated UTI in 2007. I don't recommend UTI unless you are looking to get into a dealership. They do not "tailor" to those of us who like working on non-computer controlled vehicles. In fact I once asked my instructor a question about working on older vehicles and his answer was along the lines of, "why would you bother with those pieces of junk?"
They have also lowered they're standards since becoming a public school, it is now impossible NOT to graduate. I had MANY classmates that passed with a higher letter grade than I but when it comes to actually working on cars they can change oil... that's about it.

Not trying to put them down, just my experience...

I suggest looking into Wyotech (it was my first choice but too far away) I've only heard good about them, and they seem to have courses more tailored for the kinds of things we like to do.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
70 Suburban
Rods

what location did you go to. here in houston they were almost all gear head. weekend racers.i helped a coulpe of them in my off time both paint and wrench. hell I got all kinds of flak for building a 400hp 4cl nissan. cause it was fuel injected. but we have Hot rod u here too. and the collison here had several custom painters in it. Now on the other hand UTI is more of a dealer program but as a job its your best bet. You have to consider economy in your decsion, and the custom market is down. I could keep work but not get rich of it thats for sure. people are holding on to there money more now.

1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
BMSJaX

I attended the Rancho Cucamonga, CA location. I was one of the last to have Hot rod U as they have now removed it from they're standard course to extend other classes like emissions a week or two longer. Actually Honda's were the car of choice here, hotrod/muscle car guys where the odd ones out, funny how location changes everything! So I guess just don't go to the Rancho location haha!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
70 Suburban
Rods

lol it was fun.. we were set for open dyno..hmm they all laughed till my little 2.0 hit HP and 395 tq...the mustank next to did half that. ahh that was a good day.. yeah even as the drift craze hit here the school was cool about it. they went to the students what was hot. we got a 900hp supra and a turbo ka 240sx

1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

I started doing body work as a body man's helper. Talk to your local shops and see if they need a helper. You can learn real world and still get paid. Also check with your local paint suppliers, sometimes they know what's going on in the shops. Good luck
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
TR65

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

--- Derek Bok

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I checked into WYOTECH, filled out the application, paid the $100.00 application fee and was accepted for the April, 2008 start, but was unable to attend, after all, due to some extenuating circumstances. Prior to applying, I checked with a few fellows, both young and old, about their experience and they both raved about the WYOTECH experience and both said they wished they had stayed for another 3 month block of two, prior to finishing their 9 month certificate requirements. It is a bit pricey, compared to the amount of time you spend getting a conventional college education, as far as, cost per credit hour, but the emphasis of the courses, coupled with the hands-on lab work, is priceless.

I would recommend it to anyone that has the time, money and ambition to complete the course.

Last edited by LILRED66; 05-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
70 Suburban
Rods

i agree Im partial but I will have to agree with alan. I took a few under wing and helped then make a decision if this is what they realy want.This is a good time to try befor you buy.. work alittl in the field. It will help you learn little tricks that you wont learn in class too. you will go to school whith a little foresight. but I have also learned tell no one what you know and show them less.(in school, they want you to do it there way)

1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.

Last edited by 70 Suburban; 05-19-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
07SSSC

I went through a GM backed program called ASEP (Automotive Service Educational Program). It costs a fraction of those other two and you come out with GM certifications. Only downfall is it takes 2 years, and you do have other core classes like math, english etc, which I was able to test out of a few. Part of the program is setup so that you work in a shop while completing school which really helps.

We just had a new tech start up straight out of UTI, he knows a pretty good amount of stuff but he has spent a lot of time completing GM training requirements.

Since you're leaning towards body there is also a BSEP (Body) program which is the same as ASEP but for body work.

Don't know how many ASEP/BSEP programs are still around but it may be worth a look at, if nothing else just as another option.
07SSSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

I hate being a bubble burster, but since no one has mentioned it...

Dealers are closing. Plenty of skilled, proven producing techs are looking for work right now. Even more to be looking for work in the near future. Most of the remaining dealer shops are slow. Some guys wonder why they bother to go to work, as they spend most of the day waiting for work to come in. Most of the shops that are hiring are dealing with a weak bottom line. When sales are weak, they hope shop production will keep them afloat- so they are more apt to hire a proven tech out of work. Mom & pop shops that are holding ground are retaining their techs, because even the "grass is greener somewhere else" guys are staying put if they are bringing home a decent paycheck.

Talk to service managers and ask them what your chances are of working for them when you get out. Ask them directly- If I was standing here today with a degree and graduated with the top of my class- would, and could- you hire me?

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #17
70 Suburban
Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspower View Post
I hate being a bubble burster, but since no one has mentioned it...

Dealers are closing. Plenty of skilled, proven producing techs are looking for work right now. Even more to be looking for work in the near future. Most of the remaining dealer shops are slow. Some guys wonder why they bother to go to work, as they spend most of the day waiting for work to come in. Most of the shops that are hiring are dealing with a weak bottom line. When sales are weak, they hope shop production will keep them afloat- so they are more apt to hire a proven tech out of work. Mom & pop shops that are holding ground are retaining their techs, because even the "grass is greener somewhere else" guys are staying put if they are bringing home a decent paycheck.

Talk to service managers and ask them what your chances are of working for them when you get out. Ask them directly- If I was standing here today with a degree and graduated with the top of my class- would, and could- you hire me?
I have to disagree with you. My shop is slower than usual but only by about 8-10g mo...we still pull 80-90K with only 3 techs and 1 porter.Yes gm dodge and ford are having trouble but they are not the only ones out there. not only that when sales are down service goes up. ppl fix there cars instead of buying ones they dont need. they tend to keep them in warranty. Thats why I suggest uti because you can get into a manufacture program.

1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #18
attack eagle

maybe, but about 2000 dealerships are closing... nearly 1/3 of those next month, and the rest about when you'd be graduating.

you said you like collision... that 's good because dealerships don't DO collision anymore.

let's be honest though.
how skilled and talented are you at it, right now.

how skilled and talented do you think you will be? and do you like bondo/primer dust?
attack eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
70 Suburban
Rods

LOL good point ifyou dont like paint fumes and BODY FILLER dust then its not going to work. as a side note. never met a good painter that didnt drink like a fish and work their ass off.

1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #20
hAetWagon

Thank you everyone for your responses, both positive and negative.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
hAetWagon

Might seem as if it's rushed but it's actually been a drawn out process with a lot of research and anecdotal accounts.

On the way to the airport to pick my cousin up today ( he manages a computer store in Nashville and fixed my laptop; hence me being able to post.)
I stopped into Wyotech today to finalize the paperwork.
Because last year was so bad financially,( and I live in CA)
I've got about $7500 in GRANTS coming to me to help foot the $27,000 bill.
It's steep, but I'm at the point in my life where I need new skills and I'm wise enough to know that even though I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, my gifting is working with my hands.
It took a long time to figure out; and the one thing that I've discovered through the years is that I've always enjoyed wrenching on anything.
I like people, and talking with people, but selling is an art that is dying thanks to the internet.
This is my opinion of my chosen profession for the past 6+ yrs.
Sales: Using a superior knowledge base on a specific topic to sway a person's decision in your favor via exploiting either their indecision, or lack of information.

The internet is leveling the playing field, but that's another matter.
It's time to do what I enjoy( I guess that's why I'm here isn;t it?)
Thank you to all that responded, I start the 29th of JUne

Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #22
70 Suburban
Rods

congrats. let us know how it goes

1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #23
jason65
Registerd User

So which field did you decide on?
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Excellent choice! You'll be a lot happier with that decisioin than you would be if you joined up. I've been in the Coast Guard for over 7 years now and it is definitely not what it used to be.....

Good Luck!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
hAetWagon

I chose collision repair. and am taking chassis building as an elective.