The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Arekusu

Where do I buy this?

Ok all, recently back from Afghanistan, time to buy more truck things and maybe paint it before Florida clams my truck to the rust deamon.

Where can I buy 4-6 inch tubs for a SWB step-side (current tire is rubbing and want the option to go slightly larger but not venture into pro street territory) Going to put a wood bed back in it.

Choke cable with the 64 knob on it.. not that 60-63 knob.

Posi unit for the 64 rear diff. (it's a 12 bolt but I remember there was more to the old diff's besides the bolt count)

What type of clutch / pressure plate are some of you higher hp / torque / V8 guys running?

I think thats all.. I have been out of the scene for a while and didn't know if there was a new "standard" that has happened for some of these parts since I've gone inactive.

Alex
Arekusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Re: Where do I buy this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arekusu View Post
Ok all, recently back from Afghanistan, time to buy more truck things and maybe paint it before Florida clams my truck to the rust deamon.

Where can I buy 4-6 inch tubs for a SWB step-side (current tire is rubbing and want the option to go slightly larger but not venture into pro street territory) Going to put a wood bed back in it.
I would consider using the inner tub from a fleet side and cut them down to your desired size.

Quote:
Choke cable with the 64 knob on it.. not that 60-63 knob.
Can't help you there.

Quote:
Posi unit for the 64 rear diff. (it's a 12 bolt but I remember there was more to the old diff's besides the bolt count)
The gear ratio affects which carrier you need and which posi unit will fit.

Quote:
What type of clutch / pressure plate are some of you higher hp / torque / V8 guys running?
I have had good luck with a quality 12" diaphram clutch. Remember that the greatest clutch in the world will suck if the flywheel is not properly surfaced prior to installation.

Alex[/QUOTE]
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Your 64 Posi issue is something I'm looking at as well. 17 spline axles for 63-64 they changed apparently after that. The option is to find a hard to find unit or change out the axles as well and get a common posi unit.

There is an option of changing your diff out completely for a diff from the early 70's which are wider and would have the common axles and possibly a posi unit already in it. You would not need the wheel tubs with the wider diff.

Information provided in threads by the members on this site.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Arekusu

I thought about the 70 diff. But I am at about an inch from the outer fender.. So that wouldn't be good. I remember a while back on here someone had a link for 64 specific posi diffs. Just have to find that again.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

If you find it could you post the link here, please.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:

Check out my build thread. I bought trailer fenders from the local Tractor Supply. Yeah, sounds hokey as hell but check it out. Might work for you.
Page 1 shows how i did it, Page 6 for it with the floor in it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363509

As for the rearend gear, Richmond gear has those: http://www.richmondgear.com/07Apdfs/page27.pdf
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
Deryl

I don't have any suggestions to help with your question, but thank you for your service to our country! Good luck with the truck!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
Arekusu

Thanks for the replies all. Lakeroadster, nice build man, I do like your solution for the rear of the bed and the tubs.. I also agree with the rear mount gas tank hanging too low.. your method is one I might look into. Nice.

I might just go with the new posi and new axles due to when I had the diff rebuilt, the axles were already at limits and then reinstalled. Time for new.

Alex
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome home!
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
andyh1956

welcome home alex. i just got home from Afghanistan myself. went to cruzin the coast & the scarecrow car show in madison ms is tomorrow, but i'm painting the house now. i always had good luck with the eaton posi units. don't buy a cone clutch unit, they won't last as long. i will go see if i have a 64 choke cable on the parts dog & let you know.
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Arekusu

Welcome back to you too. Thanks for looking for the choke cable. I'm wondering if only the 66 will fit the v8 carb location.

Alex