The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
rokitrik

My 1966 Chevy C10 Build

Hey Folks!

Name:  00_truck.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  51.2 KB

Above is my baby. Most of the body work is done, however I have a long to-do list left. The first project I want to tackle is wiring. I am looking at a Universal wiring kit made by Rebel Wire, EZ Wiring or the like. My C-10 is a Franken-Build already to include 4WD. I have a 350 engine taken from a 1973(?) truck. Other items have been added. For example, there is no voltage regulator on the truck so I assume the alternator regulates internally. Someone installed a second solenoid, yet it connects to the existing solenoid atop the starter.

Current wiring is a mess. No gauges work. The fuse box is damaged. Many loose wires that really concern me. I disconnected the battery and am tracing the wires as I can. While a basic wiring setup may be fine, I still want capability to add additional electrical items. Does anyone have experience with "universal" wiring kits on a truck like mine? Can you give me some beginning tips?

I will add more details and photos to this thread as I move forward. I appreciate your comments as well as your moral and immoral support!

Rokit
rokitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
jason65
Registerd User

Re: My 1966 Chevy C10 Build

Good looking truck.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
rokitrik

Question Wiring Query: My 1966 Chevy C10 Build

Hey All: I'm researching wiring options for my C10 and thought I would post info here. Need your input to help me along. After reading many posts on the topic here, I like the looks of RON FRANCIS kits. Especially the ACCESS 24/7 (magnetized) fuse box. Anyone here tried/installed one of these? Below are slides of what I will send around to multiple vendors to see what they think of my build. RON FRANCIS will put together a custom quote for me, however I think the job is pretty simple. Let me know what you think and many thanks!

--Rokit
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
rokitrik

Re: My 1966 Chevy C10 Build

I got the following response from vendors. Although I really like the RON FRANCIS 24/7 ACCESS product, it is just too expensive. I think I will go with the Rebel Wire 21 Circuit. I'd appreciate any comments.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EZ 21 kit $185

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

Recommend EZ 21 kit.

=============================
Rebel Wire 21 Circuit Kit $219.95

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-prod...at=Wire%20Kits

After studying your requirements, I would suggest our 21 circuit.

- 21 circuit will not support electric winch, this should come from battery

- no tow light kit

- 3rd brake light is in kit

- fog lights and spot lights can be run on some circuit you wont be using.

============================
Ron Francis Wiring

Express $449.95
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP%2D66

ACCESS $520.95
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AC%2D66

You spent a lot of time making those nce drawings.You want one of these two models for the truck. The Access is gret choice. It is up to you.

The harnesses are:

EXPRESS for that car with your favorite toys and still having the
installation flexibility @ $449.95 with 16 fuses-21 circuits, 4 are
select-a-fuses. The EXPRESS allows flexibility in location of the fuse
panel. As far back as the front seat. Perfect for a super neat
installation.

ACCESS for the guy with everything and little interest in going under the
dash. $520.95 with 24 fuses-(you won't run out), 4 are select-a-fuses. Check out the new ACCESS with no more under the dash work. The fuse box will detach and come out from under the dash for checking a fuse or adding an accessory. Instead of a screw terminal block the accessories just plug into a connecter in the kick panel. No excess wires but ready handle the best. REALLY COOL!

(I asked for installation instructions and got this response)

After 36 years of creating the instructions and improving them as we find a way, the instructions cover every situation you can have. If not, I am right here to answer it. Believe me you are not he first one to order a kit with power window wires but not use them right away. Sorry to be blunt but we have THE BEST!!

We do not print he instructions until you place your order so we cna make it for the brands or part you are using. This is all questions you are asked when you order on line or by phone. We have a system that works. We cannot send out instructions in advance as they might be different then the final ones and then we get calls about why the instructions we didn't want you to use are different. We like Newbie's. All you have to trust us, do as we say and it goes in like a snap.

Our instructions are simple pages, average about 8-10. No major books or whatever filled with universal information to weed through. The only information you get is about your car. It works and you'll be thrilled with the results!

=============================
SNS Classics $449

http://www.snsclassics.com/wiring.html

I suggest the HWY 22. It comes with the block separate and you can add the circuits as you need them.

See Website www.snsclassics.com click on wiring page.

==============================
Painless Performance $525.24

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=10104

The best harness for this would be #10104.
(website has installation manual to download: 4MB)

========================
American Autowire $539

http://www.americanautowire.com/60-66truck.html

Thanks for your inquiry, based upon the information you supplied I would recommend our 1960-66 Chevy Truck Classic update wiring kit. The ATO fuse box has eighteen (18) circuits and we have already incorporated a lot of the features you mentioned.