The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
Marine-58

72 C10 Build

Hello everyone. After being hosed all Summer with work, I can finally have some time for this forum and also get back to working on the truck. Been setting up quite a few projects just no time to do anything. Hopefully that is over for now.

We did get our shop where it is ready to start working on vehicles finally as well. Put the lift in a couple weekends ago. Here is a picture of the truck after removing all the front end steering components. Parts are on order, so if FedEx isn't too slow, will be replacing everything this weekend. Probably would have made more progress Sunday, but there was a 12 pack and well....

This next picture shows the seats that we picked up on a junk yard crawl Saturday. The are out of a Grand Am and the picture doesn't do them justice. They will replace the bench seat which will become something to sit on in the shop. These were about $65...

In order, here is what will be coming up. Snow is getting close so we need something to keep us busy...

1. Front end - complete rebuild - in progress

2. Rear - Narrow the Diff. replace springs and remove the lowering blocks. The guy I bought this from just had things set up weird, but it is about to be better. Change to 4.11

3. Wheels and Tires - Still arguing with my Son and Buddy on what to get. My thought is 15x14 rear 29/18R15 and 15X8 28/10R15 front. The kids think I need 18 - 20" wheels.

4. Trans - picked up a used 4l60E $100. Debating on getting the controller or just go with a full manual valve body. Probably won't tear into this until the other stuff is done.

The timeline for these projects is to be completed by EOY... 3 month's should be achievable.

Starting January, it is on to the body. Will completely blow the truck apart and fix everything from a couple wiring issues to the few small cancer spots. The goal is to be 100% completed by next June when the car shows start popping up.

Would love to get your opinion on this as it progresses. You are all smarter than I am so please send your ideas.

As always, I do appreciate all suggestions and ideas.
Attached Images

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
72 tigger

Re: 72 C10 Build

Looks like a nice project & sounds like you have a plan- (l would go with the 15" wheels). The other suggestion l have is to get your shop insulated before winter!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Marine-58

Re: 72 C10 Build

Definitely leaning toward the 15" wheels. A friend and my son are pushing for 17". They think the truck should be set up for pro touring. Being old school, I'm going for more of a hot rod/muscle car set up.

No doubt about the heaters. The shop is 40x60 and it cold here in Colorado...

69 Corvette convertible 454/650
Marine-58 is offline   Reply With Quote