The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
fatblockvelle

Hey guys new here. and a couple few questions.

This is my first post here and i love the site!
Back when i was in high school I Got my 1972 Chevy pickup (2wd 3/4 ton longbed). Nice rot free truck. love the truck but i really dont drive it anymore just because i have another toy and the longbed doesnt do it for me anymore.

Well the truck is just sitting in the garage and ive come to a waypoint in life and i either need to sell it or do somthing that will make it what i want. (1/2 ton swb). Ive heard of guys making the short beds out of long bed boxes. Basicaly ive been out of high school for about 9 years now and its time.

I have an air ride bag kit and want to sit the truck on some 17's or 18's and slam the truck. I want to do a nice tastefull low truck with a six speed manual with a pretty stout bbc. (I have the motor , tranny, and super solid truck.) Just need a Rolling frame and box (meybe cut mine down.)

Just looking for some advice and some direction from you guys that have been into it for a while as i fell into the muscle car stage.

Cliff notes

Hi everyone! Happy to be here.
fatblockvelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Hey guys new here. and a couple few questions.

my 2 cents opinion...

Since you don't drive it and have lost some interest in it, I would recommend selling it now. Do it before the price of gas and other restrictions make it so difficult to own and drive one of these old trucks. There's a lot of buyers out there that are looking for a nice rust free truck and don't mine having a long bed.

Also, as you probably already know, once you start adding to and changing the truck, the value is greatest to you but not necessarily to the buyer.

Not to mention the time and money you would have to invest.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
fatblockvelle

Well the truck has alot of sentimantal value to me so I really dont want to sell it but I cant justify the prece of gas as being a reason to get rid of it. Id like to do the truck up... Thank you for your input... It is an option.

Oh and this is my street car, So as fare as gas prices I Dont care.=)
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

WELCOME!!

I think that`s agreat plan.I don`t see the day these old vehicles aren`t driven.Unless nothing is driven on fuel anymore.I`m sure we`ll come up with something to burn in them.Fuel has been crazy high in Europe forever and guys drive American iron over there.Can`t beat O/D for helping consumption.
I think there`s info on shortening trucks in the EAQs section.Quite a few have done it.You see short frames pop up on here from time to time.Once you start looking you`ll have some pop up along with beds.You can build a complete shortbed now with new parts.The parts are well made and make a nice bed.You can either use pieces from you longbed o, if it`s pretty nice,sell it for decent money towards buying what you need.

GO FOR IT!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
68gmsee

Well the truck is just sitting in the garage and ive come to a waypoint in life and i either need to sell it or do somthing that will make it what i want.

The reason I mentioned sell, is because you said you had lost interest and it just sat in the garage... And, there's a lot of people interested in completely stock, rust free, trucks.

However, if you say it has sentimental value and want to do a complete make over, I'd say go for it. Just remember that if you change your mind sometime in the future, you may not recoup all of the time and money you will have spent.

Awesome Chevelle.... I wish I still had mine that I bought in 1970 and sold eight years later for $250. Needed a valve job... Come to think of it, if I had all of the old classics I've owned, I'd probably have a gold mine!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
fatblockvelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Well the truck is just sitting in the garage and ive come to a waypoint in life and i either need to sell it or do somthing that will make it what i want.

The reason I mentioned sell, is because you said you had lost interest and it just sat in the garage... And, there's a lot of people interested in completely stock, rust free, trucks.

However, if you say it has sentimental value and want to do a complete make over, I'd say go for it. Just remember that if you change your mind sometime in the future, you may not recoup all of the time and money you will have spent.

Awesome Chevelle.... I wish I still had mine that I bought in 1970 and sold eight years later for $250. Needed a valve job... Come to think of it, if I had all of the old classics I've owned, I'd probably have a gold mine!

When i was saying "lost intrest" I was saying in the way the truck was. But i can see how you took it.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblockvelle View Post
When i was saying "lost intrest" I was saying in the way the truck was. But i can see how you took it.
Now, that's more like it... Welcome to the board. You'll get some good input if you need it, but looks like we may be asking you for some input.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
There is a lot of different information in the FAQ forum. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Sticky: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll through the different sections and you will find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet....

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the people that read this thread will know how to get to it.

I shortened a frame using the instructions in the FAQ and it worked out great. I think there are also threads on installing air bags and static drops.

You might want to check out the "Projects and Builds" forum for some good info too.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-09-2008 at 10:59 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
fatblockvelle

Quote:
Now, that's more like it... Welcome to the board. You'll get some good input if you need it, but looks like we may be asking you for some input.
HAHA... If its questions about Big block chevys and Breaking stuff Im your man LOL!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
fatblockvelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
There is a lot of different information in the FAQ forum. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Sticky: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll through the different sections and you will find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet....

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the people that read this thread will know how to get to it.

I shortened a frame using the instructions in the FAQ and it worked out great. I think there are also threads on installing air bags and static drops.

You might want to check out the "Projects and Builds" forum for some good info too.

LockDoc

nice man. thanks... i ll check that out.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

I'm one of those guys - if you ever need to dump your rot free lwb, I'd love to have another. I'm still looking for the perfect 67 swb, but long doesn't bother me at all - and I'd pay a lot more for an unmolested truck than I would for one that had been cut and bagged and [insert whatever else]. I also agree with the idea special-K mentioned: get yourself an swb frame, and move the good stuff from the lwb to it. It's a lot easier than cutting up a good truck.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
fatblockvelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjones View Post
I'm one of those guys - if you ever need to dump your rot free lwb, I'd love to have another. I'm still looking for the perfect 67 swb, but long doesn't bother me at all - and I'd pay a lot more for an unmolested truck than I would for one that had been cut and bagged and [insert whatever else]. I also agree with the idea special-K mentioned: get yourself an swb frame, and move the good stuff from the lwb to it. It's a lot easier than cutting up a good truck.
WELL What do you think its worth? 72 2wd long bed. 402 bbc th400 , disk brakes , tilt, A/C, Power Steering.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

How bout turning it into a mud slingging truck

Classics make it possible!
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
fatblockvelle

: :
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC View Post
How bout turning it into a mud slingging truck

2WD
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
TotalChevy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatblockvelle View Post
WELL What do you think its worth? 72 2wd long bed. 402 bbc th400 , disk brakes , tilt, A/C, Power Steering.

If you are going to just restore, sounds like a good truck to start with. I agree with you on wanting a short bed, but those are hard to find. If your not hauling with the truck, I would change out the springs, brakes and axle , drop it and make it a 1/2 ton lwb sleeper.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
fatblockvelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalChevy1 View Post
If you are going to just restore, sounds like a good truck to start with. I agree with you on wanting a short bed, but those are hard to find. If your not hauling with the truck, I would change out the springs, brakes and axle , drop it and make it a 1/2 ton lwb sleeper.

i already have the spare motor for my chevelle whitch is a 496ci afr headed motor.(650 hp =)) and the t-56. so i really wanted to do an air bagged kinda "G" machine. Im just afraid if i go through all that work and put it together and its still a long bed...... What if i hate it.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
68gmsee

Wow! That's a nice looking for a northern truck.. A lot of them have gone to the rusty grave.

I gotta say that, being a retired lover of classics, I like the original, stock look. Especially one that already has all the amenities. Doesn't mean that I won't do some tweaking here and there, but I would't cut it up. Lots of nice long beds out there.

My vote is to keep it stock, find another one that's not as nice as that one to makeover. At some time in the future (like 20-30 yrs) you're going to be glad you did...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

68gmsee is right: spend all that money and time on something you really want - investing thousands of dollars and hours on something you're not happy with is not good, and you can never sell them for what you put in. If it were me (and it's not!), I'd drive the lwb, keep it running, keep it straight, and keep my eye out for that swb project - you never know when some guy who just started one needs to pay for his most recent speeding ticket. Happened to a buddy of mine looking for the "perfect" starter 67 valiant...had one when he was 16 and always wanted another. picked one up straight, running, rust-free, untouched straight six for like $600.

Everyone may not share my opinion on this, but patience is a HUGE virtue when it comes to this hobby.

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #19
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

BTW, if the cab's got no holes, and it runs, I'd give you 4-5k easy, more if it's a 4 speed. If I lived where you do and couldn't find one rust free, I'd pay more, but then again, lwb doesn't bother me...I'm not trying to get into Truckin' Magazine.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

Tell me this isn't "nice", despite it's longness:
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #21
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Nice, very nice!

I will chime in about the long box he has now. My truck started as an unmolested 2WD longbox Cheyenne. It was a little rusty but straight. Biggest downside [to me] it was Ochre and Parchment... I grew really really tired of the color so I took it all apart, found a short frame and short wide box. Now that its restored and back on the road, I love it. If it was still the old color and a long box it would be sitting in the yard rusting away... so I say make it what you want and love it.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #22
68gmsee

Quote:
Great looking long bed truck.... I'm also one of those that have always liked the short beds, but I love the sleek look of a lowered long bed. Don't see a lot of them and that's a plus...
Old 07-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Just thought I`d say,"Torquey little Chevelle you have there."That truck restored would sure make a pretty hauler for the Chevelle.But...

I figure when a guy hangs onto a truck and keeps it alive long enough he can do whatever he wants with it.You have a plan.Sounds good to me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #24
HomerJ

Quote:
Sweet truck!!! I have always like our series of truck in long bed form. It just looks "right" to me.

What wheels are those? They look like 6-lug Torque-Thrusts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky71 View Post
I say make it what you want and love it.
I definitely agree with BigSky71. If it's not going to be something that you love to drive when you're done, then you're doing a resto-mod for someone else's pleasure. You would most likely sell it or let it collect dust, which would be a shame......

HomerJ
Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #25
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Great looking long bed truck.... I'm also one of those that have always liked the short beds, but I love the sleek look of a lowered long bed. Don't see a lot of them and that's a plus...
Long bes look nice lowered! You can get a lowering kit and a tire/wheel kit and give it some time to think about it. If the stance and look works then switch over to the bags.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote