The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
shelby987

how close is too close

how far away from the exhaust manifolds do I want to stay with either glass packs/cherry bombs/or flowmasters?
I wasn't sure how much damage the extreme heat will do to these products (yes, I am aware the exhaust is still pretty hot at the rear of the vehicle ) I just wanted to know if these products have a specific heat range that they will likely produce the most life.
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: how close is too close

This is one of those "as far away as possible" responses. If you can, avoid mounting the mufflers under the cab, it will help cut down the noise. I have seen mufflers on fire trucks glowing after running a pump for an hour or so, the mufflers on those trucks lasted quite a while. But glass packs aren't known for longevity, most will lose their effectiveness after a couple years of operation.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Also, the further down the pipe, the less of a performance decrease you'll have from the mufflers.
Just a side note.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
70rs/ss

I have mine mounted just in front of the rear axle. Flows can handle anything in that there is nothing to deteriorate, the glasspacks, thats a whole other story.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
...Flows can handle anything in that there is nothing to deteriorate...
I had a 3 chaimber flowmaster on our old PSO S-10 Blazer, installed when it was still a great truck with 60,000 miles and running good. That muffler fell apart internally after 3 years. The baffles, or chaimbers or whet ever, came unmounted, and was blocking the exhaust. When neonlarry's son was here, I showed it to him (bummer he never comes on here anymore) I shook it and he heard the clunking, and you could see on the case where the chaimber walls were supposed to be, but you stick something into it and there's nothing there, onless y6ou tilt it to where that end was down, and it'd slide across.
I was pretty ticked considering it was an $80 muffler, and only lasted 3 years... and 2 1/2 of those years were in Tx. (can't blame the road salt)
Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
70rs/ss

Flowmaster has a warrantee, I have a set on my Camaro, been there over 10-15 years and they look and sound great. I meant the don't blow out, but to come apart, I'd check with them about a new one, as with anything sometime stuff fails but it is safe to same short of coming aprt, they will not deteriorate over time like a GP.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

I called them and they told me to get bent... and they almost used those words. The guy laughed and said;
"you want me to replace a 3 year old muffler.... why don't I just get you a new car while I'm at it."
This was back in 03... they haven't gotten a cent from me sence then.