The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
69C10@16

HELP - Wiring Problem!!!!

First let me kind of introduce myself...
I am 16. I live in Missouri (a.k.a. misery). I am halfway experienced with trucks. I bought the best ever first truck a 16 year old could hope for, a 69 C10 with the original 307 rebuilt and under the hood and a turbo hydramatic tranny rebuilt same time. Oh Yeah.

Now my problem.

When I turn the headlights on, the dash lights do not work. I have checked bulbs, they are all in working condition. Also when the headlights come on, My Right turn signal activates BOTH turn signals and my left turn signal does the same but it doesnt flash them as the right does still flash them. My Gas Gauge dont work (ever so I doubt it is a part of the problem). All fuses are great and this is only an issue when the headlights are ON. If I mess with the harness connection at the back of the gauges, the lights will come on and my gas gauge will go to WELL over full but I still have the wierd problem and my turn signal indicators always light in this case. When i let go of the harness connection it goes back to the other way. Where nothing works. The generator light seems to be the ONLY thing working properly in this dash. My temp light stays on no matter what (which I assume is because some idiot before me cut the wire to the sensor).The headlight switch is brand new from classicparts.com as of yeterday. I do not know if this was a problem with the old one or not. I never tested it. I could drop the old one back in but it would take me a while becasue my mechanic is supposed to be calling me any day to replace the lower ball joints and the upper control arm shaft for me so I dont want to rip anything out. In the meantime, are there any ideas as to what could cause this WEIRD problem.

I'm sorry this is so long and complicated which is because Im horrible at explaining things verbally and in writing.

Thanks,
Newton
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
sb69chevy

Re: HELP - Wiring Problem!!!!

Don't know the answer to your question, but to the board from Springfield! I tend to agree w/ you on the "misery" part...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
dwaite72lnghrn

I would start checking for bad grounds. Temporary check take a jumper cable from the battery negative to the body. The core support or the cab(near the master cylinder) Then try your lights. Most of these trucks have bad grounds(corrosion) after 30-40 years.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I think I would start by seeing if the symptoms are different or non-existant with the old switch. If that doesn't tell you anything then move on to the suggestion in the message above this one.

Also check the connector and the printed circuit on the back of the cluster as these can take a beating after 40 years also.

Ps.. if your thread vanishes it means that the mod incharge of this section has moved it. You will probably be able to find in in the Electrical section.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Take a look at the back side of your dash. The circuit board sheet that runs the whole back side should have a ground wire ran to fromm the dash itself. If it's not grounded then you will have all kinds of issue's with the dash lights.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I agree with Andy. Take a jumper wire from the back of the dash cluster to the dash itself and see if it all works. Hope that helps, and welcome from Maryland!!
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
hyarbour

Is it possible to push the intrument cluster plug in upside down? That could make eveything operate kinda fubar, if it didn't just burst into flames
hyarbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Peter82
Everything is Custom

here is a wiring diragram. check the wires and good luck.
Attached Images

Peter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyarbour View Post
Is it possible to push the intrument cluster plug in upside down? That could make eveything operate kinda fubar, if it didn't just burst into flames
The plug is indexed ( has an ear on one side ) so it cannot be plugged in upside down.
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
69C10@16

I have tried all kinds of stuff. Re grounding circuit sheet, grounding each individual light, disconnecting circuit sheet, disconnecting headlight switch, switching the flashers around. I am totally out of ideas.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
shifty
Questionable

tried a new circuit sheet?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
69C10@16

The circuit sheet looks like it's not the original. I haven't had time quite yet to use a continuity tester to make sure all of the traces go all the way through but I plan on it soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Huck

You mentioned symptom change when messing with a connector---my guess is that you have multiple issues. I would first remove the dash cluster----you will be able to sell things much better. Then start tracing the wiring as you refer to the attached diagram. Look for broken or spliced wiring br a previous owner. Make sure these are fixed correctly (according to the diagram). Pay particular attention to the connector as it should not change symptoms if wiggled. Any short in the steering column will drive you nuts too. You just have to kind of trace one wire after another to work you way to the problem. Takes time but at least you are not dealing with a computerized vehicle. The fuel gage issue is typically a broken or grounded wire that runs from the tank sending unit across the drivers side floor in the gully next to the rocker panel. PS---never had a faulty light switch so check and re-check the wiring & grounds before throwing parts at it. Good luck~~Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
69C10@16

Smile Re: HELP - Wiring Problem!!!!

To all those who said it was a bad ground........

After taking off my tailamp covers a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the moron that primered the thing had primered behind them on the, for lack of knowing what its called, socket plate too. I thought nothing of it as my lights were still working then, flawlessly. I got so frustrated with this junk that I needed something **BRAINLESS** to do for a while so I took the socket plate out to clean it so my lights would be brighter if it reflected off bright shiny metal and low and behold they primered between the socket plate and the bed itself!!!! Ground, what ground. That aint no ground!!!! So a corded drill and a wire brush and a few hours later, LIGHTS. (That work right) With the exception of the Left, Front Parking Lamp and the Right Rear Turn/Brake Lamp. I am hoping that when I put the turn/brake assembly back together I lost a connection that will be simple to fix. On the front I hope like h3!! it is just that ONE of the two elements burned out. I can hope no matter how unlikely it is. While I was wiring I even added some relays I had laying around and relayed my headlights. Folks, it aint no myth that it makes the poor things brighter I can tell you that. Now, on to the body. My Rocker Panels are practically nonexistent. There is a hole the size of a bouncers fist in the driver side cab floor, and a couple of dents and dings. The bed must be rebuilt as far as the cross sills go because they are a F.U.B.A.R.'ed. Anyways, I guess I should start a thread on my build. It won't get updated too often because, as I said before, I am 16 and its football season. My boss knew I was gone during football so I have ZERO income. Which sux. So thats why it wont get updated much. Nothing will be happening. But I'd like to get some pictures posted. I still haven't decided, restoration to FACTORY (exc. stereo, it must NOT be fact.) or custom rod???? What to do....... anyways, Ill post the thread link here when I get it up with pics. Thanks for all the help and sorry this last post is so RETARDEDLY long.

Newton

Last edited by 69C10@16; 08-28-2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Messed up a word that made me look like a mentally challenged MORON
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from south Mississippi! My first truck was a 69. But that was a long time ago. Hang in there, you have plenty of time to finish the truck, so enjoy playing ball for a while.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote