The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
TX58

Installing a Vintage Air unit,few questions. Any tips?

Getting ready to install my vintage air unit ( bought it last year so its not the nicer redesigned unit) and had a few questions,also open to tips and pointers from anyone who has installed VA. It's going in my 58 Apache

What's the best way to run lines thru firewall?
I would like to use the existing heater hose openings.

Where can I get grommets for the new hoses/lines going thru the firewall?

I would have liked to use one of those inline fitting pieces that I've seen on custom cars but wouldn't that involve more fittings and custom lines?

What's the best way to route the hard lines up front? Attach dryer?

Wire on compressor? Is that for pressure switch? Where does that mount to?

Also heard that the included plastic glovebox doesn't go in or fit,is this true?

Any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Installing a Vintage Air unit,few questions. Any tips?

VA has pass through bulkhead fittings. If you are deleting your heater you will only run the high and low pressure lines, if heater then I would get a 4 port fitting from them. The supplied harness should have the low pressure cycling switch and compressor engage wires. I have installed a couple but not on an Apache. I would assume you loose the oe glove and either cut it down or build one.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
_Ogre

i used the va surefit condenser up front, but not the evaporator inside

a lot of stuff up there

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX58 View Post
Getting ready to install my vintage air unit ( bought it last year so its not the nicer redesigned unit) and had a few questions,also open to tips and pointers from anyone who has installed VA. It's going in my 58 Apache

What's the best way to run lines thru firewall?
I would like to use the existing heater hose openings.

Where can I get grommets for the new hoses/lines going thru the firewall?

I would have liked to use one of those inline fitting pieces that I've seen on custom cars but wouldn't that involve more fittings and custom lines?

What's the best way to route the hard lines up front? Attach dryer?

Wire on compressor? Is that for pressure switch? Where does that mount to?

Also heard that the included plastic glovebox doesn't go in or fit,is this true?

Any pics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Just did this on my 57/58 cab. If your wanting to use the existing heater hose holes, I would just use the template provided by VA for the two additional AC lines. I was missing several grommets for the firewall holes as well, call VA they will ship you replacements.

The wire coming off the compressor goes to the compressor safety switch, the other side of the switch goes to the thermostat on the evap. The compressor safety switch screws onto the hardline coming off the evap. you will see one line has a fitting for it.

You can mount the dryer anywhere you want as long as it sits close to vertical. VA shows two different options, 6cyl and 8cyl. I was told in the end it really doesn't matter.

The plastic glovebox will fit, you have to taco it almost in half to get it in. Make sure it doesn't crush any wiring or your passenger side 2.5" vent hose.

All said the install is not bad once you get all your parts and you get your questions answered.
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

If I had it to do over again I would use bulkhead fittings like Ogre and others have done. I didn't use them so I just used the VA template to drill the holes in my firewall. Either way you go, it's tight under the dash. As far as the missing grommets, those aren't missing according to VA, they aren't supposed to be there, LOL. They will supply them if you request, though.
As far as routing the lines goes, you typically just route them along the passenger side inner fender unless you want to hide them like some of the others have done. There's a different set of instructions for original V8 trucks and 6cyl trucks with V8 engines. I think I used some of the instructions from each set.

Here's a tip that I just learned first hand. When you get it installed, don't put more freon in it than they say. Mine called for 28 oz. The cans come in 12 oz size and I put in two cans. I was watching the sight glass on the filter/dryer while I put the rest in and apparently I put in too much. It caused the compressor to cycle on and off due to too high pressure on the high side. It doesn't seem to take much over the 28 oz to cause this problem.
It cools great when you get it done, so definitely worth the work to install it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
_Ogre

i threw 2.5 cans in with standard ac gauges and ruined my compressor
take it to a shop and have them charge it
mine called for 1.8 lbs of freon in our trucks
1.8 lbs = 28.8 oz, 2.5 cans is 30 oz, i figured i'd be safe; not

$179 new compressor later i had cold ac

i used the bulk head fitting so i could turn towards the kick panel at the firewall and loop around the evaporator
that was required because i had shaved my glove box and had no access above the unit to tighten fittings

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
OrrieG

I got a used VA sure fit underdash unit is a trade. I found it is an earlier version when I got the control cables (I needed to modify two of the brackets). I downloaded the VA and two other companies installation manuals and decided to route the hoses as shown in the pics. In the firewall pic you can see the line of the inner fender. All the lines run in the wheel side of the inner fender, then thru the fender to the engine. I need to buy the condenser unit, then I will complete the hose install.

The unit is a "sure" fit, very tight. I used the VA template to place the mount that bolts thru the firewall, a fabbed the other brackets. You need to follow the sequence in the VA manual, I tried to short cut it and ended up back tracking. After the unit is installed there is a plastic glove box about 1.5" deep. Mine came in two pieces, it would be a wrestling match to get it in in one piece. Mine came fully wired, the VA diagram was very clear and I comfirmed with EZWire that the large red wire comes from the fuse panel, the blue goes to the pressure switch on one of the hoses, then from there to the compressor. If the pressure is too high or low the switch prevents the compressor from engaging. I bench tested mine and adjusted all the micro switches before installing the unit under the dash.

I bought the same Sanden compressor VA uses. Like ogre, I have heard lots of guys saying, per VA instructions, only put in the exact amount of R134 or R12 if you got that system. Do not use the sight bubble to fill it.

In the pics you will notice I also modified the under dash diffusers (flipped them) so I could use my own grille. I am also running the side hoses out the kick panels, not using the corner grilles VA supplies (I did not get any with mine). I also made a cover plate to hide all the hoses on the dash side.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Russell Ashley

"1.8 lbs = 28.8 oz, 2.5 cans is 30 oz, i figured i'd be safe; not"

I mentioned in my post that it doesn't seem to take very much over the 28oz to cause problems.

Back when most cars had R12 you could just watch the sight glass on the filter/drier and add Freon until it was clear with no bubbles. I was watching the sight glass when I charged my VA unit thinking it would clear up but it didn't, and I slightly over charged it. It didn't damage my compressor but probably would have if I had let it run a long time.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Speedbumpauto

I had to cut out the passenger side vent in order to get my VA unit to fit due to firewall setback so with a little creative thinking, I routed all the hoses on the outside of the inner fender so nothing would show in the engine bay. Used the bulkhead connector for a finished look. Be aware that you might have to modify the bulkhead connectors if you plan to use flexible heater hose for the connections. I'm going nuts and using the VA braided connectors for all four fittings in the engine bay. It's my OCD, can't help it.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Denee007

Hi, I put Classic Auto air in mine~ I think they're all relatively the same except for the running of the AC/heater hoses. Mine are all under the fender. They speak of exact amount of refrigerant, but what if the system is low on 134? I had a low side fitting that was leaking, just need to tighten that little shroeder (sp) valve, but over a few days, the system became low(10/125 gauge reading). It's also stated to turn the compressor over by hand 20 or so turns before putting a load on it. I pulled a vacuum and then charged with Freon/ and an oil charge for first time starts. So, again, the question is, if the system is low, one has to go by the ac manifold set and watch closely. I just put in a can of 134 and blowing 40 degrees on this 95 degree day(25/225) with a power cat fan in front. I've never driven my truck yet on the street. I'm fighting my own battle with the AC, mainly the electric fan I believe isn't pulling enough air to help the condenser. I may look for other options.
dne'

http://www.classiccarsandtools.com/?s=Classic+Auto+air
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
TX58

I've heard about that. Will the original fan shroud with a modern flex fan work with a V8 to pull enough air thru?
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
mknittle

I can't afford a kit so mine will be real vintage I just don't know what vintage yet!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote