The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
yossarian19

Metric PS hoses?

So now that I've got my engine, PS pump, hydroboost unit & steering gear all bolted in to the chassis, I've started wondering how in the heck I'm going to run fluid between all of these.
I have been looking around on Rock Auto for OEM hoses that might fit, but...
Anyone have good / bad experience with custom hose kits?
I've found one on Ebay that looks correct but at 167 bucks, I thought I'd ask what others have done before I go my own way.
I need to go from 16 male o-ring to 18 male, twice (pump to HB & HB to gear) with high pressure; the return plumbing should be easy.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Metric PS hoses?

Honestly, I'd go to a NAPA store and dig through their power steering hose catalog.

You can even search their hoses online to get an ideal of what you can come up with.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0
Length may be the only real issue in finding hoses to run from the pump to Hydrovac and back to the box. I'm thinking that most one ton pickups and probably all GM diesel pickups ran/run hydrovacs though.

The other option might be a well equipped Aeroquip hose store or other hydraulic hose store. The only issue there is that some hydraulic hose shops don't want to make hoses for steering or brakes because of the perceived liability issue.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
1project2many

One of the things you probably won't be able to do successfully is put hose and steel tube together on the pressure side. You're almost always forced to use a hose with a crimped on end. But I have a few tricks to solve the custom hose issue. First, I have a fairly expensive flaring kit that will make the "O" ring fittings (called Saginaw fittings) in a piece of 3/8 tubing. So I'm not against using a line with one fitting that works then re-configuring the other end as necessary. Another option is to use steel ends with the proper metric fitting on one side, and put an inverted flare fitting on the other to allow connection to a hose or steel tubing. Finally, you can save money by maximizing your use of steel tubing and using hydraulic hoses from a parts store where you need flexible transitions. You can see how I installed Hydroboost in an S10 Blazer right here:http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f14/fi...-notes-332547/
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
_Ogre

i have a gm pump, cobra hydroboost and cougar power rack in truk
i bought AN adapters for the rack on line and the rest was source from my local napa store
the AN adapters get you away from metric hose, the rest of my fittings were sae sizes
buy the hose and fittings, cut it to length, install all the hoses and mark the rotation on the hose and fittings
then take the hoses back to napa to crimp them
on the return line you will have one AN for the rack the rest will be hose barbs

you don't say what parts your using, if your using a gm pump and a ford rack
i strongly advise you have a flow reducer in the back of your pump
it made a world of difference in the handling going down the road

if your using the same mustang cobra hydroboost, i adapted to the nissan quest remote reservoir

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
yossarian19

Ahh, yes of course.
I'm using a 2002 Silverado PS pump. There is a hard line attached to the pump that I haven't measured, though I know the pressure line for that car is 16x1.5 male O-ring / 18x1.5 male O ring.
The HB is from a 98 Astro, which I think takes a 16mm O ring fitting going in & exits with 18mm o ring fittings.
Steering box is '86 C10, again 16 / 18 O ring fittings.
I don't mind metric, in fact I prefer it, but it's making my own high pressure lines that I'm not sure about.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
mknittle

[QUOTE=mr48chev;6129302]Honestly, I'd go to a NAPA store and dig through their power steering hose catalog.

that's what I did on my jeep conversion. I ended up using a pressure hose for an mid 80s suburban for the longest one. I don't remember what I used for the other pressure line. For the return lines I got a used hose and cut off the crimp sleeves and hose and used bulk 3/8" hose.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
buggy5872

Find a shop that makes hydralic hoses and have some made. They should have just about any fitting yoiu need to connect everything up. If you have the old lines they can reuse the steel fitting and put new hoses on.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote