The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
rmccloye

Red face Column Shifter

I have a 1965 C10 and I'm changing from an automatic tranny floor shifter to column shift. Does anyone have any ideas on how I go about findin linkage for the existing column shifter to the tranny. Also, i have long tube headers, so would that be in the way of the linkage or anything?

btw the column shifter was previously used on a 3spd manual tranny
rmccloye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Column Shifter

i'm not real certain on this one, but I think it's more than just linkage to change when going from an auto on the floor to an auto on the column - if the column you're trying to hook the automatic to was previously a manual shift column (i.e. 3 on the tree).

Like I said, I'm not certain about this - but I bought an auto column to make the swap from 3 on the tree to the auto on the column. Haven't rebuilt it yet, but the stuff danglin on the end of the column is a little different between 3 on the tree and auto on the column. Anyhoo -I'm interested in what others have to say on this.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
rmccloye

Well after researching some stuff I found that the ididit cable column shifter kit would fit my column. All I have to do is mount it to the column and hook the cable to one of the shifter arms on the column. This is only a theory, but sooner or later I'll see if it'll actually work or not, but I'm pretty confident that it will...
Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
ol Curt

I think that would be true if your column is an automatic column.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Tommy454

Lokar makes a couple of nice kits.

Available through Summit for around $55.00 part # ACA-1800
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-ACA-1800/

Or through PACT for around $70.00 #89SLR.
http://www.transmissioncenter.com/Lo...er_Linkage.htm

GM Adjustable Column Shift Linkage.
Attached Images

Tommy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccloye View Post
I have a 1965 C10 and I'm changing from an automatic tranny floor shifter to column shift. Does anyone have any ideas on how I go about findin linkage for the existing column shifter to the tranny. Also, i have long tube headers, so would that be in the way of the linkage or anything?

btw the column shifter was previously used on a 3spd manual tranny
rmccloye - when you say the column shifter was previously used on a 3-spd manual tranny - are you saying that while you had the automatic shifter on the floor for your auto tranny, that the entire steering column was originally for a 3 on the tree? Or are you saying the actual chrome shifter handle was from a 3-speed manual? (will affect whether or not the Lokar kit will work, I believe). i.e. the actual chrome shifter "lever" is interchangeable between manual and automatic columns, I think - but if the column in your truck is actually a 3 on the tree manual column, then I'm not certain the Lokar shift linkage will work. At the very least, I'd give Lokar a call before you order (regardless of where you order it from) and tell them exactly what kind of column you've got (auto or manual) so they can let you know if their linkage will work. If you've got an automatic column and were only referring to the shifter lever itself, then I think you're good to go - if it's a manual 3-speed column, I think you may not be out of the woods yet with the Lokar kit.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Tommy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
rmccloye - when you say the column shifter was previously used on a 3-spd manual tranny - are you saying that while you had the automatic shifter on the floor for your auto tranny, that the entire steering column was originally for a 3 on the tree? Or are you saying the actual chrome shifter handle was from a 3-speed manual? (will affect whether or not the Lokar kit will work, I believe). i.e. the actual chrome shifter "lever" is interchangeable between manual and automatic columns, I think - but if the column in your truck is actually a 3 on the tree manual column, then I'm not certain the Lokar shift linkage will work. At the very least, I'd give Lokar a call before you order (regardless of where you order it from) and tell them exactly what kind of column you've got (auto or manual) so they can let you know if their linkage will work. If you've got an automatic column and were only referring to the shifter lever itself, then I think you're good to go - if it's a manual 3-speed column, I think you may not be out of the woods yet with the Lokar kit.
X2 on the standard column. I had a rigged three on the tree/auto conversion in my 63. It never worked well, swapped it for a 67-72 auto column. had to rewire it, but at least park locks where it is supposed to and with the benefits of hazard lights and a neutral safety switch everything is right.

Last edited by Tommy454; 01-23-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Tommy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
rmccloye

the column is an actual 3spd column, but guess I should give Lokar or somebody a call before I start throwing away money... Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I used the locar shaft shifter stuff, worked like a charm on my lat 70's tilt and also my stock auto column.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
rmccloye

Talking Re: Column Shifter

I just got a shifter rod and mounted it to my upper arm on my column and it worked fine... but now I plan on just puttin' my other pedal back in makin' it a 3 on the tree