The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
wc63

possible tranny for v6 305E

i posted this in the engine and drivetrain forum but i got no response and theres just more traffic over here. so...
ive been doing some reading on tranny conversions and would like to keep the manual and possibly add an OD. i have a 3 on the tree and would have liked to keep it but freeway driving is killing me. ive read t5's are good but have also read that they're weak and tend to shred. ive also looked into the nv3500 wich requires a lot of mods as well as the nv4500 wich may fit my current bellhousing with an adapter, but requires a cross member mod and is kind of pricey. the MY6 is another option but im unsure if 1st is a granny and i havent found much info on it. ive heard that the t85n is my best bet as it is a bolt it to the 60-66 generation. but the t85n came is f*rds, if im not mistaken, so what am i missing here. i have a 1963 GMC with a 305E and would like to keep the 3 speed but am open to any suggestion that will compliment the 4:11 rear end.
thanks in advance.
wc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
slorio

Re: possible tranny for v6 305E

WC63:
The T85N's didn't come only in Fords. The Ford version won't bolt up in your GMC. The Chevy version will. Here are two on Craigslist. First an early version that was used from about 1955-1965 with a four bolt side cover:

http://odessa.craigslist.org/pts/2535434702.html

Second with a seven bolt side cover that was used from 1966-1969 with synchro first. This one will need the front bearing retainer cut down to fit your bellhousing:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2499183917.html

Regards,
Steve
slorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
wc63

damn! ive been looking for months and havent found one. you seem to have found 2 right from the jump. what search engine did you use? if i understand correctly, both of these will bolt up, but the four bolt doesnt have a 1st gear sychro, is that right or is there something else im missing? thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
slorio

WC 63:
That's proprietary! Just kidding. Here it is:

http://www.allofcraigs.com/

Searches all of Craigslist throughout the country at one time. It's fantastic.
I searched:

3 speed overdrive

Those were just two examples. There are a lot more out there. As I mentioned on the 6066gmcguy.org discussion, make sure you get a good solenoid and governor switch when you buy one. Those parts are getting hard to fine. Also, if you have to ship, make sure they take these two parts off and pack separately so they don't get broken. UPS was kind enough to break my governor then deny coverage since they said it wasn't adequately packed. Shipping insurance is a rip off...
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
slorio

Whoops, missed this:

the four bolt doesnt have a 1st gear sychro- Correct

The seven bolt will require a couple of mods, but is close to bolting up. First is the bearing retainer will have to be cut down. The later trannies had a larger bearing retainer than the hole in your bellhousing. Second, the shifter linkage is different from the early models. I used a floor shifter with mine rather than the column shifter. You will also need the yoke with this one. It is different from the early yoke (spline count is different). These are easy to get from Pull a Part, since they are used pretty frequently (Turbo 350's use the same yoke). Also, speedo cable will be too short. Pull a Part had a 1 foot extension that was used on full sized Chevies in the 80's that was an easy fix to extend the speedo cable.

Summary is 4 bolt fits right in. 7 bolt takes some mods, but is a better transmission.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Old 08-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
wc63

thanks for the help steve. i read your thread on the solenoid issue. thats where i heard of the 3 speed overdrive. imma have to spend some time on that link. thanks again