The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
jel111

Still up in the air....

I am still going back and forth on what to do with my truck. 66 short bed. I have a shot at a 396 with the trans freshly rebuilt for 2500 bucks or keep the 230 and go with a 700r4. What's your thoughts people? I am not to sure about swapping the trans out myself but have someone that would swap it for me that has done a few already. (for a price) Or I have the shot at the 396 that my brother can get from a friend that he trusts. I could swap that out and have him help me. What would you all do. Obviously I do not have the experience in swapping engines and such I am just more or less a back yard type. I think I am up to it because I am mechanically inclined and can fix most things I try to. Thanks for your thoughts. Good truckin everyone!
jel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Max1775

Re: Still up in the air....

Sorry, for me thats a no brainer. Id definitely go for the 396. I love cubic inches!
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

No Brainer for me as well, keep the inline 6 install the 700R4 and start traveling more often.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

It really depends on how you want to use the truck, and if you want a restored stocker or something more personalized. Also, do you plan on keeping it forever, or do you see yourself selling it in a few years and moving on to something you like better. Restored stock is easier and normally less expensive. Once you start making changes, each upgrade requires another upgrade and it goes on endlessly until you're finished or run out of money. Personally I'm a hot rodder and never leave anything alone, but your direction should be what brings you the most enjoyment and satisfaction. Would you prefer to go fast, or save money and be practical? Good luck whichever way you decide.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
gimmy 64

personally i would keep the six. because if you go with the 396 and non overdrive trans you will not like the gas milage or driving on the freeway.or over about 45 miles an hour.i have a slight built 350 about 300-350 horse and i am putting in an overdrive tranny. its great for doing burn outs but thats it.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
...... Once you start making changes, each upgrade requires another upgrade and it goes on endlessly until you're finished or run out of money. Personally I'm a hot rodder and never leave anything alone....
Great reply and wise advice there. One thing to consider is what rear gears you have. Since it came with a six, it possible you have some low gears. Combining low gears, a BBC and a non O/D tranny and your going to pass everything on the road but a gas station. The fun factor goes up, but the MPG goes in the crapper. It really depends on whats important to you.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
jel111

The reason I am still up in the air is because of the gas prices. I want the speed but at the same time I want the truck to be a daily driver. The 396 would kill at the pump but my dilemma really is that I think I could do the engine drop for not to much more money. I could see that right now if I keep the 6 that eventually i will want the HP anyway and do something like this. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. I have wanted this truck since I was a little john. I have a 3.90 w/posi that I will put in her. I have a 4.11 right now w/o the posi. So the 700r4 seems to be the reasonable thing to do. I would maybe go for a three with OD if I could find one.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
jocko

tough decisions!

What "I'd" do....
1. 700R4 and drive her
2. 3.73 rear gear
3. If you still have the itch for a biog block, THEN go get it - I don't think you're letting the deal of the century slip through your fingers for $2500... You can get another one for that price or less, even if it is "just right' right now.

- since money is tight - do it in this order (even over several years - but in the meantime you have a cool truck) so that you,
Never duplicate your effort
Enjoy it along the way
Don't feel rushed into a decision to not let the big block slip away - there are more rats in the sea.

Here's why I say this: I USED to be a big block fanatic. Drove two of them for some time with TH400's. Always thought I'd never be satisfied with anything less. Got tired of having the feeling I could only "afford to go so far" on a trip before it became silly expensive, etc. Now, I prefer an old school small block any day. Guess my days of roasting the hides are over - will build a race car for that... Who knows, someday I may even havea truck with a 6. Oooo, not sure on that one yet

The above preserves you the option of keeping the 6 OR dropping in a small block OR getting the big block. Either way - you're gonna want the 700R4 (or a T5 or TKO if you like to row your own).

If you know already that you will definitely get a big block sometime, then go for it, move that to the top of the list - and just have slightly lousy mileage until you save up for that 700R4.

OR, consider this - JUST the big block + 3.23 rear or something like that. Big block can work great with lower (numerical) gear and you could really help your mileage in the process. Will still be more bottom end tq/hp than the 6 with a 4.11, but it won't be Mr. Toad's wild ride either.

So many options, so little money, so little time!!
The fact that you're still on the fence, I think, is that little guy on your shoulder telling you to bail on the rushed buy on the big block.
Good luck, either way, you can't go wrong.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
jel111

Really good points. I already have the rear end set up with the 3.90 rear end. What kinda top speed would I be looking at if I stayed with the six and the mono jet?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Slow Build

I think you should think about whats behind door #3. You should consider a fuel injected 5.7 motor with a 700R4 transmission or better yet a modern LS motor and 4L60E transmission. Power, reliability and economy. You could probably do it for around the price you would pay for the big block and tranny.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel111 View Post
Really good points. I already have the rear end set up with the 3.90 rear end. What kinda top speed would I be looking at if I stayed with the six and the mono jet?
Depends. If you know your tire size, and then insert your 3.90 ratio into a calculator (one provided below) (or experiment with any gear - or insert your old 4.11 for comparison), you can determine what rpm you'll be turning at any given speed. With 3.90, you'll still be hummin pretty loudly at higher highway speeds.

your current trans top gear has a 1:1 ratio (stock 3-speed & 4-speed manuals, TH400, TH350, PG, etc). All overdrive trans have a <1:1 ratio, thus the better mileage and ability to run at higher speed for lower rpms.

As an example - let's say you have a 235/75/15 tire - it's about 29" tall - and a 3.90 rear - based on the calculator, you would be turning 3160 rpm at 70 mph (whereas with your 4.11, you'd be turning 3330 rpm at 70). In other words, the difference between a 3.90 and 4.11 will almost be unnoticeable. Regardless of tire size - the relative (%) difference between cruising rpm will be the same small ratio when comparing a 3.90 to a 4.11.

http://www.carforums.net/rearcalc.php

Here's another calculator that you can use to calculate changes as the result of using an o/d trans: (this is also a great ref for what several different transmissions have for gearing) - for top end, only the final ratio and your rear end matters - http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

So, as a comparison - with the same tires (29" tall) and same 3.90 rearent, a 700R4 at 3100 engine RPM equates to 97 mph!.... (so,. to your quesiton - your 6 cyl and monojet may preclude that...)
Or more appropriately put - instead of cruising at 3100 rpm to get to 70 mph with a non o/d trans and a 3.90 rear, you only need 2200 rpm to go 70 mph. Start counting the gas money $ you'll be saving now!

Anyway, hopefully these calculators will help you decide. Also concur with the above comment about a modern eng/trans combo transplant - very good point if you don't mind goin modern. Personally, COMPUTERS scare me.... (on cars, anyway). But it is a good option. A bit more of an involved swap, but many have done it before, so am sure you could also.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I wouldn't bother with switching from 4.11's to 3.90's. There really isn't anything to be gained. If you decide to go with the 396/TH400, I would change the rear gears to a 3.08. The BB will have enough torque to pull the taller gear, and it will be more highway friendly. If you stay with the I6, and install the 700R4, I would suggest a 3.42 rear gear. The lower 1st gear of the 700R4 will help get moving with the I6, and you will have a nice low highway cruise rpm in OD. Of course this is dependent on your selected tire size.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Wink Re: Still up in the air....

Being a Hot Rodder that I am I would say 396.
But you need to check to see how much it will cost you rebuild a stock 396.
It suprised me. And i was wanting to hop it up!
I was offered one once from a friend.... till I seen how much it would cost to rebuild it just stock, heads and all!
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
awbrown

I would find a cheap turbocharger and a 700r4 and be done with this project ... Really , my next truck will be a turbo 6 inline.. I have the turbo , and a friend from the other side of the state has a 230 I can have ,the exhaust is so close to the intake entrance it just screams "I want a turbo" ...I have a buick V6 turbo with Qjet that I will be using for this project ...cheap , I like that.........
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Still up in the air....

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
I would find a cheap turbocharger and a 700r4 and be done with this project ... Really , my next truck will be a turbo 6 inline.. I have the turbo , and a friend from the other side of the state has a 230 I can have ,the exhaust is so close to the intake entrance it just screams "I want a turbo" ...I have a buick V6 turbo with Qjet that I will be using for this project ...cheap , I like that.........
www.mighty6.com/
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
Max1775

Awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote