The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Dirt's72

Opinions on value of this blazer needed. Thanks

I've been offered up this blazer from a friend of friend not currently advertised for sale. Its a 72 cst 4x4 dark yellow, no motor, all windows shot out by kids, nice single wall top/hatch, front bumper and grill nice, skid plate and very original hitch, tilt, nice tailgat, highlander package. Has rust on floor pan, kick plates, rear bed, driver door is shot, rust on driver wheel cover, rockers toast, tub behind wheels, rocker boxes seem good. Would like to hear what you would offer for this? Then I'll mention his asking price. Thanks for any help.

Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Banderian

Re: Opinions on value of this blazer needed. Thanks

Well, I'm far from an expert, but I'd say how much to offer depends on what you want to do with it and whether you are going to do the work yourself or pay somebody else to do it.
If restoration and keeping is your intention, you have to figure in the cost of a good crate motor ($2900), probably the alternator, power-steering pump, a/c compressor, and water pump, and radiator while you're at it, ($1000) recovering all the seats, replacing the floor covering and carpet, ($1500) the driver's door ($350), and all the glass ($1000). The body panels for the rust repair (what you can see, and what you will find later) are not expensive if you are going to do the cutting and welding yourself, but they aren't free, so I'd figure $750 for that. Also, looks like the air ducting inside would probably need to be replaced and the steering wheel. Then, it will require painting even though it looks pretty good, the new door and the scratches would be really hard to match so, you probably need to repaint the whole thing (again, if you are going to do that yourself and already have the right equipment and facility, it isn't too expensive.) And, there are probably some wiring issues from age and weathering.
If it were me, I wouldn't offer more than $1500, maybe $2000, but that is from a guy who does all his own work and has one money pit and isn't looking for another one.
Banderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
mjjjracing

X2 I would definitly say $1500- $2000 easy, If you pick it up I have all of the glass you need just north of you . Jim
39 GMC pickup,70 GMC K1500 short bed 4x4 ,72 K10 short bed step side 4x4 ,71 short bed fleet side , 72 K20 long bed ,74 K10 long bed , 69 C30 dump bed dually, 79 K30 standard cab dually , 02 Dodge 4x4 dually
mjjjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Agreed that $2000 seems more or less fair. I'd buy that for $2000. It helps that the dash is uncut but there's a lot of rust repair. I wonder if the firewall is rusted through anywhere...

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
SS Tim

Thanks for the link Dirt's72.
Going to have to think on value factors and I will get back to you later. But to someone who wants those colors and options, like the camper mirrors, it is worth more as a project than to someone looking for a deal in an "off color" vehicle.

Anyway here are a couple of pictures to bring you and anyone else up to speed on its glory days look. Unfortunately most pictures tend to push the color more yellow than it actually is.
But then everyone has seen a school bus.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Chulisohombre

12-1500 I'd say. The rust looks more surface than anything. It has most of the parts there. Could buy a junkyard engine with accessories for a few hundred. Get it going and have some fun. Lots of options on that one. Logged the highlanders.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
landy

Has some nice options on it, but as others have said, value will depend on your intended plans. Total resto, forget it. You'd be money and lack of frustration ahead to spend more $s on one that's in better shape, or that someone else has already spent the $s on. The rust/rot can be costly to repair. I'd go up to $1500.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:49 AM   #8
Blazerowner

I'd pay more than 2k for it. Maybe 4 but that's me.
Blazerowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
skorpioskorpio

$1200-2000? If you can buy it for under $2K and intend to restore it, buy it and run. I'd say you could do very little to that truck and double your money or more if you just wanted to flip it. It's a Highlander with an air-condioning dash and a single wall top in a desireable color. The downside is that it has a lot of rust made more obvious by a color that shows it off. It's a good resto candidate, and would be a very desireable truck restored, and I'm not one of those guys that thinks everything old should be restored, hell look at my build thread.

In a large West Coast market like LA, San Diego or Bay Area you could get $3500 pretty easily I would think.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
*** MISSING ***
So sorry to hear that Tim, hope he shows up.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
tristan

It's a highly optioned Highlander and there aren't many of them out there. I'd say jump on it.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I'd pay more than 2k for it. Maybe 4 but that's me.

I'm in your camp. $4k. This was a well options truck.
Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
skorpioskorpio

...and there you go, the forum imitates life, put it out there for a little bit to a broad audience and the number will rise.

I hope the seller doesn't know about this forum, if he does the price just went up.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #14
Asphalt

Hey. I'm in New England. The hardest thing to find up here is a good body. We have small block Chevy motors coming out our ears in salty New England because the donor cars and trucks turned to brown powder and returned to the earth. Mechanicals are not the problem.

That body looks manageable. Most bodies up hear no matter if you cut the rust out and replace panels, and strip and treat and sand, the rust always comes back because once it gets down in the seams it just never goes away.

Like I said, a well optioned truck, AC, etc. Absolutley.

I would rather rebuild an SBC or drop in a crate motor over a weekend than spread a rusty truck out all over my garage and yard and end up making a mess and blowing brownish red snots out of my nose for weeks on end. And after all that have the rust start peaking through again after a few humid seasons.

But that's just me. To each his own.
Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
SS Tim

I'd go three pet grade puppies maybe four. :-)
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

How much for the Challenger in the background? Grab that too!!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
How much for the Challenger in the background? Grab that too!!
And the K10/ or K/20 behind the Challenger with no bed. You should probably take that as well Seriously, I would spend $2500.00 for the Blazer in its current condition.

I know someone that can set you up with a real nice gauge cluster for it also

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #18
Banderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
$1200-2000? If you can buy it for under $2K and intend to restore it, buy it and run. I'd say you could do very little to that truck and double your money or more if you just wanted to flip it. It's a Highlander with an air-condioning dash and a single wall top in a desireable color. The downside is that it has a lot of rust made more obvious by a color that shows it off. It's a good resto candidate, and would be a very desireable truck restored, and I'm not one of those guys that thinks everything old should be restored, hell look at my build thread.

In a large West Coast market like LA, San Diego or Bay Area you could get $3500 pretty easily I would think.
This is true. If you want to flip it, you could spend a little more and get your money back, plus some, pretty easy. Which is why I said it's value depends on what you want to do with it. If you intend to restore it and keep it, you can buy better for less. If you intend to sell it to the "restored" market, to someone who knows what to look for, it is gonna take a lot of money. If you don't have much conscience, you could put a junk yard motor in it, rhino line the inside of the tub to cover a lot of rust, and sell it to an uneducated buyer for $5000-$6000.
Banderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
Dirt's72

Thanks for all of the great replies. I ended up picking this thing up. Asking price was 4500. He wouldn't budge off 4200 and threw in a motor which ended up being a 305. Of course I couldn't resist. He didn't even know it was a highlander either. It did end up coming w/all original ps, ac, alt brackets, inside tire carrier, shroud, radiator and owners manual. I plan on keeping it as much as stock as possible. I have a 72 motor lined up. For now ill just get it running, hopefully some day restore it, or not. It's really been nice having it sit next to my other 72 cst Blazer in similar condition and compare one to the other. After closer inspection ive found it's been painted before, has some filler on rear tub just like my other. Both seem identical in the aspect they were painted and reasonably taken care of and parked for a long period of time and ended making good rat homes. Just need to look out for that hantivirus right Pete. Lol..
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #20
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Glad you got it home buddy! Yes - watchout for Hanta. Take pics of the dead stuff you yank out of the duct work this time Keep me in mind if you need more space and want part with the green one. Also, I'll be tearing into the dash on my Blazer soon if you still need a saddle dash pad. Awesome find!!