The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
k5hart

Rust Effect On Value - 2wd

All,

I'm trying to gauge the price I want to sell my 1972 2wd Blazer and am wondering everyone's opinion on how much rust issues can effect the price. My truck has the following problems on original paint:

- Passenger windshield frame rust at the top corner drip rail area. (I have a good one to use for the repair)
- One rocker box has some rust on the bottom in the center. It's not gone by any mean.
- Small spot on the drivers side floor by the kick panel.
- Small spot on the rear passenger floor by the wheel well due to some seam sealer falling out. I replaced the seam sealer to stop the water intrusion.
- About a golf ball size hole in the lower front passenger and front lower quarter.
- Drivers rocker probably ought to be replaced to be right.
- Front well housing and core support area under the battery.

All common issues with these trucks. None of these issues seem large to me. All but the windshield frame I would call easy repairs for someone with metal repair skills. Everything else on the truck is solid. It has original medium blue paint that still looks good for a patina style driver. All original, all there, reliable, CST, PB, PS, A/C. A very nicely optioned truck.

I know it's hard to gauge without seeing it. Don't have pictures yet. I'm going to try and take some tonight.

Are what's describe a deal breaker for getting a good price?? I haven't found another on the internet in similar condition. Heck, there are not many 2wd Blazers for sale.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
thelonerife

Re: Rust Effect On Value - 2wd

wanting to see some pics
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
k5hart

Here are all her scars. Some of this looks worse than it is. Pictures aren't the best. I didn't have much time and its dirty.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
sockalaminski

My '71 had similar rust issues to yours. If I were looking to purchase another and had the same rust issues, I would consider this to be $2k-3K worth of repair, between parts and labor. A cover up could be done for much less, but to repair it right, would be pricey.
sockalaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
cleszkie

The issues that I see in the pictures are indicative of a lot of hidden rust. When rust finally works its way from the inside out, like in the winshield frame, outer rockers and lower rear quarter panels, there is a bunch more inside waiting to do the same, as you probably know. HOWEVER, it is a 2 wheel drive model, looks to be complete, and has original paint. These are all big plusses in my book, especially the original paint. With original paint, a buyer is much more comfortable with the rust because there is no patchwork hidding the issues. Also, if you find a buyer who just wants to keep the original patina and not do a full resto, they will be willing to pay a bit more despite the rust issues. Based on what I see in the pictures and what I've seen others go for, I'd say your could fetch 6k to 8k. But you didn't mention the driveline. If you have put some money into a nice engine build and tranny, that price could go up.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
k5hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
The issues that I see in the pictures are indicative of a lot of hidden rust. When rust finally works its way from the inside out, like in the winshield frame, outer rockers and lower rear quarter panels, there is a bunch more inside waiting to do the same, as you probably know. HOWEVER, it is a 2 wheel drive model, looks to be complete, and has original paint. These are all big plusses in my book, especially the original paint. With original paint, a buyer is much more comfortable with the rust because there is no patchwork hidding the issues. Also, if you find a buyer who just wants to keep the original patina and not do a full resto, they will be willing to pay a bit more despite the rust issues. Based on what I see in the pictures and what I've seen others go for, I'd say your could fetch 6k to 8k. But you didn't mention the driveline. If you have put some money into a nice engine build and tranny, that price could go up.
I agree there is usually hidden stuff too. But, in this case I don't think there is. I think a lot of what is rusted is all there is. I've contributed to some of the problems by not fixing the issues (Windshiled frame especially) when I got it and just using it. I didn't worry about the rain or leaving it outside when I first got it 14 years ago. I'd say the last 9 years that has changed and it's been in a garage. Hell it was my daily driver for a couple years after I got it. Some of it is due to dirt and leaf build up over the years I believe. Some like the quarter and fender holes I think were scratches or rock chips. They were very minor when I bought it. I've looked it over and over and everything else I see is solid.

I hope your price is low. That's not what I was looking to get for it. It's has the original 350 that runs perfect and I took it out and detailed it a year ago. Newly rebuilt 700r4. A/C could be working in a day. I may actually fix it before selling it. I've replaced what has been needed on the driveline over the years. Everything is tight or new. I would drive it across country today and not think twice about it. It's a good truck. All there, unmolested. I have the protecto plate and the order receipt from when it was purchased. It's the real deal.

If I were to keep it I would fix the rust while leaving as much of the original paint, clean up the interior, and keep it as is. I've just honestly found other interests and it doesn't fit my family situation any more. Thanks for the honest opinions. That's what I want to here.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
cleszkie

My estimate might seem low, but that is what I've seen them go for in southern California, where I'm at, in similar shape. The market might be a bit stronger on the east coast where they are not as easy to find in that condition. Just my opinion and by no means a dig on your ride.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
briank

No estimate on price as Im not a 2wd guy but I also agree as there will be hidden rust. I have two with the identical issues as your minus windshield frame rot. Once I opened it up....,rear b pillar toast, along with torsion box reinforcement (you can see that without opening it up) front floor support, front pillar, inner rocker, etc. But it is a very presentable runner , driver and that adds to it as does the 2wd to some. Start high and go from there, you can always work down
briank is offline   Reply With Quote