The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
capnduane

'55 2nd, major repairs

Well, just started some repair work on my '55. It has been getting hard to shift into 1st and reverse recently. Up on the rack and removing the trans and bell housing to replace clutch and refresh the syncros in the Muncie transmission. Had to cut the stock rear engine mount crossmember out to be able to remove the bellhousing on the Pontiac 400. Everything is out, and took flywheel to the machine shop to be resurfaced. Trans is going to our local expert for a refresh of the 1/2 and 3/4 syncromesh units this afternoon. Spent the day pressure washing all the parts. Clutch kit is from Rock Auto and it fits! I am planning to add tabs to the crossmember, so I can bolt it back in to the frame, and it will be removable in the future. I want it in place because it helps brace the frame at the rear of the front spring mounts, and if someday a future owner would want to re install a Chev V8