The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
dads longhorn

Junkyard newbie no more!

I had some time in the big city yesterday and went to a "u pull and pay" salvage yard to see what I could see for our trucks. Id not been to one before (see what you guys are doing to me! hahaha). They had 5, very picked over but I was still able to remove an acorn nut off camper mirrors that fits mine, got the right washers too. They didn't charge me for them either since it was such a small "haul". That place was a bit ghostly, sad . many vehicles had been in serious crashes where the type of vehicle was barely discernable. Row after row of wrecked vehicles just lost for any good use mostly. No one taking care of them rotting away just sitting there unloved. Well, by the time I left I was committed even more to take care of dads longhorn, to keep it running, in good condition for the future and potential new owner down the line. Some one will see it, think good thoughts about their past and be able to see a little bit of history that's been preserved, not just thrown aside in our hurry to go... Somewhere? Anyway ill get on their notification list if one of our trucks comes in so ill get there before it gets picked over. AND I'm going to find other junk yards to scrounge thru, I'm hooked now. Who knew what a trip to the salvage yard would do to my little brain!
Posted via Mobile Device
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Re: Junkyard newbie no more!

the cars and trucks at my pick a parts out here (vegas) only live for about a month before the crush them. Heck, after a week or two of being picked there is not much left. They really get gutted out here.

I get real excited if i am there and they are putting out a row of fresh "meat" There is never a entire row of 67-72, usually only 1 at a time. But i still find lots of parts on the 90s chevy trucks that they must have 50 or more of them
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,I have my little back pack and odd assorted tools for those special moments. I think it makes a vehicle happy when you take another part off. They are proud little heros,sacrificing to the end. It's our job to keep ours alive and well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Dale_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yeah,I have my little back pack and odd assorted tools for those special moments. I think it makes a vehicle happy when you take another part off. They are proud little heros,sacrificing to the end. It's our job to keep ours alive and well.
Still have not made Crazy Rays in Mt. Airy... Is it worth going?
Dale_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Gumby

Find one you like and visit it often, make nice with the guys in the yard, deals will come quickly when you known by name.

https://www.facebook.com/ChevyGmcTrucksFindOfTheDay or http://ChevyGMCTrucks.com
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm in good enough with the guy that works in the salvage yard down the road from me that he calls me whenever they get one of our trucks in and says "you better come over and check it out"... It don't get any better than that.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote