The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
MACKL
Almost done!

Anti-Theft Measures

I am getting close to finishing my truck. All that remains are front disc and wheels. I even insured it last week. I am starting to worry about thieves. What are some of the Anti-Theft measures you guys know of that are effective on our trucks?
Thanks for the help...Kelly

The 1970 SWB Project

Removed 6cyl manual trans, manual everything
V8-350
Auto/PS/PDB
Blazer Fuel Tank
Behind the Marker Light Fuel Fill
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

A hidden battery kill switch is real easy
Old 06-27-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

I am going to run the distributor power wire through a relay (hidden of coarse) activated by a remote switch (also hidden).

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

If you installed and HEI just kill the power to it , or the coil if you are still running a point Dist.
The hard part is finding a place to put the switch , I seen on guy who had it wired to his cig lighter .

Good Luck let us know what you decide on it may be better than pulling the Dist. fuse like I do.

Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

I'm going to put a sensor in the drivers seat that recognizes my big butt. If the seat doesn't recognize my rear, then the seat ejects. I have a Blazer so no top damage, hehe. Just kiddin', its a thought though. Thought about leaving post it notes on the steering wheel for would be thieves, it would read, "This vehicle is equipped with a tracking device, If you steal it I will hunt you down and put a bullet in your head". If that wouldn't detur them I don't know what would. If I actually did that I'd have to think about gettin in and driving it, lol. Seriously though, I'll spend the 500.00 for a Viper alarm system with the ignition shut off and stuff. Probably put in the remote battery disconnect too. Good Luck!

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

A hidden battery disconnect is one of the best. It is not so much of a nuisance that you won't use it. You do however have to remember to turn it off. If you make it too much of a pain to deal with yourself, you will not use your deterrant device. Removable steering whells work well......but they are a pain in the @ss to deal with on a daily basis.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
ftsmoot

I bought a wheel boot on line and put it on when I'm at a mall. the only way to get truck then is with wrecker
ftsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
2low72

Buy a doberman or a really big mean dog and leave him in the cab(windows down of course) Hate to make the animal rights people mad...
Old 06-27-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
Alexis
Member since 2000

One of the best thing to do is install a hood lock. another thing would be to put in a plate under your dash to protect anyone from messing with the wiring. You just need to cover the drivers side and make the plate go past the ignition switch. Alarms help as long as they can't get to the siren or "brain". One company allows you to install a GPS tracking unit in your car now so if it gets stolen you can go to a website and it shows you where your truck or car is. Also a couple of alarms now have 2 way remotes so it send the user a message if the car get tampered with or broken into. Not everyone that steals a car take off driving with it, they also tow it away.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I believe there was a company that made a "line lock" type unit that held pressure on the brakes and you needed a key to release it. That's back to one of those things that can bite the owner as well as the thief though.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #11
junkyardjohn

A HIDDEN TOGGLE SWITCH IN LINE IN YOUR NUETRAL SAFTY SWITCH (PURPLE WIRE) IS GOOD DETERANT FOR THEIVES IN A HURRY. TOTAL COST OF ABOUT A BUCK & A HALF. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #12
thisolechevy

I have a 3-way swith up under my dash on top of the steering column, its in one of those places where you can't see it unless you take out the gauges so you have to feel around a little bit to find. Anyways 1-way is all electric, second is interior (radio, dome, etc...) and the third way is nothing. SO when I leave my truck I just flip the switch and boom, GOOD LUCK WITH OLE' BETSY
Old 06-27-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
jay6891
Car Knocker

My truck has a Jacabos Electronic igintion and it came with a anti-theift device. You have to hit a switch everytime you start it or it will run for about 15 seconds and then die. Just long enough for me to hear it and get my gun. If you try and restart it without hitting the switch it won't start up for 15 minutes. The up side is that it also is a great ignition box. Had it for about 10 years now.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

That tracking thing is called a Lojack. Stealing one of OUR trucks would be the biggest mistake a thief ever made.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #15
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

There's all kinds of things you can do to deter a would be thief. You could hook a wire up as John describes to an additional floor dimmer, Shifter line lock switch, Cigerette Lighter, you could hook a wire up in line with you parking light switch, No parking lights, no run... I have a key switch made just for this, It's one of those round keys. You can install it just about anywhere,The options are endless. As someone mentioned above, You have to keep the hood shut, Either with a lock or an inside release.
But the bottom line is,, If someone really wants your rig, It's theirs..
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #16
MACKL
Almost done!

Great Ideas!

Those are some great ideas, I think I will try a combination of a couple of them. The inside hood release is a good idea too. Anyone have any experience installing one that they would like to share? What make and model release works the best?
Thanks again for the help...Kelly

The 1970 SWB Project

Removed 6cyl manual trans, manual everything
V8-350
Auto/PS/PDB
Blazer Fuel Tank
Behind the Marker Light Fuel Fill
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:38 PM   #17
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I think it's "LOKAR" that I seen at Summit, It's billet aluminum and mounts below the dash.. I went to a billet grille and you can't get your finger through the grille to get to the release without squeezing the heck out of your fingers, So I'm going to go the inside release route for two reasons, Convenience and need...
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #18
jcueckert13

i would use the battery cut off, the hood lock, and a midget with a handgun
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #19
DevinM

I think that I'll be going with "The Club". I've heard that it's a great security system for the price. I've seen them for less than $10.
'73 Chevelle Deluxe - First car (R.I.P)
DEERFIELD, MA
DevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #20
botboy
Account Suspended

Yeah I definitely think the best security system for the money is "the club" preferrably as held by a 6'5" 300lb linebacker.

When I bought the honda I got to fix up & sell, there was a weird theft deterrent I pulled out of it when I changed the ignition tumbler (PO lost keys) It wired in between the starter motor and the column, and had a magnetic sensor (not a reed switch but a hall effect or something) that went behind the dash, that way in order to get the car "on" a theif simply had to jam the column or put the key in, but to get it to start they had to hold a magnet on a certain place on the dash, as chosen by the installer.

I've also heard of putting a microswitch behind the ashtray to cut the starter or distro power

If you have an auto there are now servo driven gear selectors, one of those would be easy to wire up - let the theif start the truck, then make it impossible to shift into a drive gear!

If you have an EFI vehicle its very easy to cut power to the injectors or fuel pump in a way that wouldn't be easily noticed by a theif. That way they think they've got the vehicle figured out when they hotwire the ignition or pick the tumbler, and the vehicle turns over, but simply won't start. Ideally they continue trying to figure out the problem until you come out and beat the baby bejesus out of them for trying to steal your ride.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #21
1972_K5

A couple of things that I read from some insurance companys research for deturing theft were....

1. Locked Doors!

2. A sticker in the window saying that the car is equipped with an alarm.

3. A flashing LED mounted somewhere visable from all points of entry into the car.

4. A "CLUB" or similar visable theft deturent device.

These on the surface sound pretty simple and hoaky. I think that the most important thing that you do is create a perception.
Theives are typically opportunistic...if an opportunity is there that won't take much work or time, then they will try. That descision is usually made on a whim without any planning or forethought. If there is something visable that makes your ride look like a more difficult target than the next guy's, most will pass.
Bottom line is if someone wants to steal your ride then there gonna do it. But if yours looks like a pain to take they will probably look elsewhere.

I'm personally going to mount a bright flashing LED in my dash that will be on when the key is in the off position. It won't actually do anything, but should help to keep the honest, honest...
Old 06-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #22
Beefcake

fuel cut off is the best. I dont know if this means you need to have an electronic fuel pump or if there is just a valve that you can toggle on/ off. Use with keyless remote.

If I was going to steal your car, its to easy to figure out that the dissy doesnt have any power.... It would take 2 seconds to use the jumper I got in my pocket to jump to the battery.

The crack heads around here arent even afraid of the alarms. Jail is just free food and cable....

currently has 350/350/14 bolt. 383 and 400 tranny is in the works.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #23
neonlarry

I was thinking about going with LoJack but I think they are like OnStar you have to report your truck stolen to the police and they will help the police track it down. I would like to find the one Alexis is talking about where you can go to a website and track your truck that way you can make sure the perps don't walk like they do 50% of the time the police catch them.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:39 PM   #24
cped

I used a relay in the ignition circiut and activated by the cigarette lighter. Push the lighter in and it restores power to the circuit. With the lighter out if you try to start the truck it just honks the horn. Gets me everytime too! I don't drive the truck to often so when I do I usually end up honking the horn before I realize I need to push the lighter in.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #25
67chevemall

Purple starter wire is safer then the IGN.
Shave the handles off!
The Club!For trips to Detroit!
Get a Rotti

Last edited by 67chevemall; 07-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote