The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

My truck is causing a dilemma on me. Please help!

Guys I don't know what to do anymore. I got so many plans for my truck that I've even started on a few. But the problem is that when it gets to the point where I need to paint something. It stops me in my tracks. I guess you could say I'm a chicken when it comes to painting. It's not that I'm a bad painter, its just I don't want to have to redo it if I don't like the color. I know I'm going to have to most likely redo a lot of stuff, but paint is expensive and I'm so stuck on colors that its holding me back from laying some paint down.

If you have run into this problem, tell me what you did. Cause it's holding me back from getting the truck closer to being complete.

I have ideas of the color I want the body to be, but as for the interior and engine bay, I'm clueless cause I want it to all match really well. I'm not very good with colors.

I'm almost to the point where I'm just going to throw out all my ideas and do something entirely different.

Reason why I want it to be exactly the way I see it in my head is because I'm building this truck in memory of my Grandpa. He and I spent 3 weeks putting the truck together and putting the BIG MOTOR in it and getting it running. 1 week after we got it running and all, he passed away. So I'm really, really picky about what I'm doing to it.

I spend weeks thinking of one idea and weeks wondering if I should do that idea or not.

So anyways, enough of me rambling. I need some help on what I can do so I can just build the truck and paint it.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: My truck is causing a dilemma on me. Please help!

Buy a spare door or fender or piece of sheetmetal and do whats known as a "sprayout" to determine wether you like your color or not. Buy the smallest amount you can.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Sorry about your Grandpa sir. I think the best thing for you to do is what you feel in your heart and gut. You will get nothing but opinions on here. I can tell you what I would do but it wont be the same as what the next guy and the guy after that would do. What do you think your Grandpa would like? Are you afraid that you won't like the color you pick after it is on the truck? It is difficult to look at a paint chip and know that it will look that way on the truck. If you are worried about that, look for a vehicle that has the color you like and get the paint code from it. It is very expensive and is also a lot of work to change a color on any vehicle. Have no regrets. What ever you do, your Grandpa will be very proud of you.

Good Luck.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Guys I don't know what to do anymore. I got so many plans for my truck that I've even started on a few. But the problem is that when it gets to the point where I need to paint something. It stops me in my tracks..
All depends on what you and your Grandpa were building.

For me, next time I'm probably going to start by painting the frame, trans case, rear end, and suspension parts with Por 15 (black).
Then, I'm going to paint the firewall, core support, under the hood, and the inner fenders satin black.

Why? That goes with everything. And, a lot of times it goes "better" than painting the under-hood stuff the same color as the rest of the truck.

That way, while you're building, you can dream of the color scheme every night if you want....Which, to me, is a big part of the hobby.
The dreaming and planning part, that is.

In your case, and if *I* were doing it, I guess my guidance would be "WWGD"?
(What Would Grandpa Do).....Then, there's no way you can go wrong.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Go to some car dealers and look at different colors until you find one you like. If its on a new car, ask for a brochure and it will show available interior colors for that car.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Whatever you decide please wear a respirator.
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
low&slow
Account Suspended

BMERDOC - I might just have to do that. I could put the door or fender on and get a better idea of it. I could actually see it in person rather than on photoshop.

TBONE1964 - Yes you got it. I'm afraid of painting the truck and not liking it. I talked to my dad to see if he knew what Grandpas favorite color was, but he didn't have a favorite. He had 4 colors he really liked, but I don't have 4 trucks to do each color on. He liked candy blue, lime green, silver, and black.
He also liked the color that's on my truck now, but I'm not really sure about it.

magwakeenercew2jh - Grandpa wanted to build an award winning custom built show truck. I want to build a drag truck. So what I think I'm going to do is build a real nice drag truck that I can take to shows as well and hopefully win an award.

I do understand what you are saying about what you are going to paint first and so on. As for me, I have so many plans that I don't want to paint stuff yet cause I might have to do it again and again. I just want to paint small stuff for now, but like I said, I'm so uptight with the colors and don't want to have to do it twice.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
low&slow
Account Suspended

Zoomin - That is a very good idea, once I decide on a color. I could also look for different shades of the color I choose as well to get more percise with it.

67ChevyRedneck - No worries. Safety is first in my rule book.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Youd be surprised how many pics ive seen on here of someone spraying wearing nothing at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
rico7769
Hybrid67

found my color from nissan after chasing down their SUV's for Deep crystal blue metallic. Find what you like on a car, go inside the dealership and hijack some brochures with the paint options. It easy to see on someone else's ride first.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote